Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,711 of 6,504

The price of certain flagships is already close to the cost of a pair of mid-field monitors and room treatment which is ridiculous.

So true, you can get a nice pair of PSB speakers for half the price, that sound twice as good....assuming source and amplification is up to snuff.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,712 of 6,504
  I am going to give the HD800s a listen,I had the 800 and sold it to get the HE1000 which to my ears is far better,that said I am a fan of the 800 sound signature.....all of these headphones are now overpiced but that doesnt mean that the more expensive ones arent the very best....best for the buck is a different issue

And that does not mean that the more expensive ones are the best either.  

I've heard some very expensive turds in my time.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,713 of 6,504
of course not but in this case the HE1000 is really good..is it twice as good as the HD800?That is up to the individual but IMHO it is noticably better...just one mans opinion

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,714 of 6,504
  of course not but in this case the HE1000 is really good..is it twice as good as the HD800?That is up to the individual but IMHO it is noticably better...just one mans opinion

Yup. I was on the Beta program and IMO there's no way the HEK is "better" than the HD800. Obejective measurements are here to prove that. I can see and understand one can PREFER the HEK though. It"s not my thing and not what I am afeter but it sound beautiful.  Sincerely, most of this hobby is a matter of preference in audio and music. we shouldn't forget that.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #1,715 of 6,504
Beagle said:

Oh, and with the Canadian dollar in free-fall (along with oil prices), I can safely add about $300-400 to the US price, on top of what we usually get gouged. So I'm out, for now.

Actually Beagle luckily for us (hopefully) Sennheiser seems to keep pricing in check when doing the CDN / US exchangearooni (basing this on HD-800 pricing in CDN funds).

Lets hope they continue the trend. 

Sennheiser was designing and building nice sounding headphones before any of these overpricing wannabes were even born.

Hit the nail on the head with that post.

Spot on.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #1,718 of 6,504
Dear headfellows,

I just had a conversation with Sennheiser. All the headphones that were ordered have been shipped yesterday and I hope to receive them today or on Monday.

They made it till X-Mas!!!   :)

Of course all the customers who have placed a pre-order will be served as fast as possible.

Cheers

Jan

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,719 of 6,504
  Damn i was looking at picking up the HE-1000 too. Is it really that inferior to the HD800, or just a different sound signature.

Sorry off topic.

I think It's safer to just say they're different sound signature. Most people (including me) thinks the HD800 is better technically but it's somewhat debatable and the gap isn't that large. Si it's more a matter of preference IMO.  I personaly much prefer the HD800 for what I listen to ( almost no pop, no rock, no metal )  and I find the HEK beautifully boring when some other people find it wonderfully relaxing. in fact, it's just a different opinion about the same sonic effect right ? 

No, it's better than HD800 to my ears but you need a good amp and source

That's true for a bunch of headphones I know. Not only HEK.  HD800/600/650 are in my experience maybe the headphones that enjoy the most "better" amps and sources. Notice I didn't say the most expensive. I said  "better".  that's different.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,722 of 6,504

I think It's safer to just say they're different sound signature. Most people (including me) thinks the HD800 is better technically but it's somewhat debatable and the gap isn't that large. Si it's more a matter of preference IMO.  I personaly much prefer the HD800 for what I listen to ( almost no pop, no rock, no metal )  and I find the HEK beautifully boring when some other people find it wonderfully relaxing. in fact, it's just a different opinion about the same sonic effect right ? 

That's true for a bunch of headphones I know. Not only HEK.  HD800/600/650 are in my experience maybe the headphones that enjoy the most "better" amps and sources. Notice I didn't say the most expensive. I said  "better".  that's different.

I see what you did there. 
biggrin.gif

For me the HD800 sounds amazing with some classic rock. Pink Floyd! But i do agree i prefer most pop/metal on other cans.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,724 of 6,504
115 pages and no one has heard them yet :wink:

Since when is this new to new models of any muchly anticipated headphones which have a thread started on Head-Fi before it's release.

There were some who heard pre-production models.
Axel Grell, who designed them, gave his opinion of how they differed from the HD800.

What we don't need is posters who read the latest page or two of this thread, and then pontificate on what they make of those impressions.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,725 of 6,504

Actually Beagle luckily for us (hopefully) Sennheiser seems to keep pricing in check when doing the CDN / US exchangearooni (basing this on HD-800 pricing in CDN funds).

Lets hope they continue the trend. 

What worries me is that the original HD800 was always a few hundred dollars more in Canada, even when our dollar was at par or above the US. Same with the HD558, 598 etc.

What we don't need is posters who read the latest page or two of this thread, and then pontificate on what they make of those impressions.

I have a idea....how about starting separate "Impressions on the impressions" threads
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back