Sennheiser HD800 vs. JH-13 Pro: Battle of the Titans
Aug 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
Which has the Best Sound Quality?

First off, I know that trying to compare full-sized headphones to IEM's is futile. Furthermore, the technology behind both companies reference products couldn't be any more different. Sennheiser's HD800 is an "open-backed dynamic" headphone whereas the JH-13 Pro consists of 6 individual "armature" drivers. How much more vastly different can these two products be? So why did I start this poll? Because they both represent the best-of-the-best in headphone/IEM technology at the time and the accolades for each product are well known by now. As vastly different as these products are, I am sure that those people who have both, or have auditioned both extensively, have a preference as to which of these two choices has the best sound quality. Lastly, I am aware of the pitfalls of these polls; for instance, many people will vote for one or the other just because they have one or the other. Also, because the JH-13 Pro is a custom IEM, it stands to reason that only those with this IEM should vote on this poll. If you don't own the JH-13 Pro, there is no way to make any reasonable comparisons here. Lastly, if you do vote on this poll, please explain to us all why you made the choice that you did. We all want to learn from each other on this forum.

Please do NOT vote unless you have had extensive use of both.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Because they both represent the best-of-the-best in headphone/IEM technology at the time...

You might want to keep an eye on Team Electrostatic. They should be showing up any minute now to further comment on this statement.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 97
Don't forget about team K1000 as its in a category of its own in terms of sounstage and having natural crossfeed.
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 97
And of course the R10's cup design.

AKG K340 e-stat/dynamic hybrid

Etc...

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 97
Yes, of course all of these other headphones are superior. We all know that by now. Yet, I have been wondering how just these two titans would stand up to each other in a head-to-head poll. Your are right too, the poll should be a pretty small one considering that very few people are privileged enough to have both the HD800 and the JH-13 Pro. Hopefully it will be interesting nonetheless.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 97
I didn't heard any of them so I can not help you (no vote) and therefore my opinion don't have merit of course. But I do not think that sound via even best iem's can provide sound so airy, large airy bass and overall realism sound as many great full size headphones. I believe JH13 are incredible good but in different way, full size headphones offer a few things that JH13 can not it is physic and individual prefering.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 97
JH-13 Pro. 10hz-20khz? Is that even possible?

I have listen to a few balanced armatures and owned a few others and I think that the frequency response ratings are all bloated.

Armatures can't physically produce deep bass. You can make them boomy, not deep. They cannot move that much air at low cycles.

20khz? Imo, I don't think armatures can go up past 18khz. How do I know? Nothing scientific. Compared to my darkest headphone, the open air HD600 in hearing tests. ER4, im716, Superfreq and Q-Jay cannot go past 17-18khz while I can easily hear 20khz on the HD600.

JH-13 Pro lovers can start shooting now.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to keep an eye on Team Electrostatic. They should be showing up any minute now to further comment on this statement.

and thats right
angry_face.gif
O2's IMO are beyond the HD800's, after 3 weeks of trying different sub €2500 euro amps I cant simply make them sing in a way that justifies their price! If you need to get an RS B52 (or similar) worth more than 5k to make them sing, then for me the HD800 are not worth the hype...

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 97
^^^ It is interesting that you said that. I concur that IEM's can't physically produce deep bass; bloated, boomy bass - yes, true deep bass - no. I own the Sennheiser IE8's and many have talked about their prodigious bass. While I find the bass quite satisfying I also find that just by the nature that the IE8 (with a single dynamic driver) is an IEM, it can't move much air. It just doesn't produce truly deep bass.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH-13 Pro. 10hz-20khz? Is that even possible?

I have listen to a few balanced armatures and owned a few others and I think that the frequency response ratings are all bloated.

Armatures can't physically produce deep bass. You can make them boomy, not deep. They cannot move that much air at low cycles.

20khz? Imo, I don't think armatures can go up past 18khz. How do I know? Nothing scientific. Compared to my darkest headphone, the open air HD600 in hearing tests. ER4, im716, Superfreq and Q-Jay cannot go past 17-18khz while I can easily hear 20khz on the HD600.

JH-13 Pro lovers can start shooting now.

Bang, bang!
biggrin.gif

Listen to the JH13, then rethink your statement.

I would have tended to agree with you before I'd ever heard them. The JH13 has a bass that goes as deep as any headphone I've used, and it is about as clean and fast a bass as I've heard.

Until the JH13, armatures did not get to 20kHz. JH Audio uses a new armature which absolutely does reach that figure.

The JH13 is a game-changer. And without a doubt, I prefer it to the HD800. And I know I am not alone in that regard.

The only advantage the HD800 has, IMO, is soundstage size. Which, again IMO, is not worth sacrificing the better tone, transient response, extension, and realism of the JH13 for.

As the OP stated, anyone who doesn't own a JH13 or hasn't heard the demo really has no business here, as their opinion is pure speculation.

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 97
^^^ Thank you for explaining your vote on this poll. As usual, there have been several people who have voted but very few have explained themselves as to why they voted the way they did. I was going to mention in my opening post that one aspect that all good-to-great full-sized headphones should have over the JH-13 Pro, or any IEM for that matter, is soundstaging. Because IEM's sit so closely to the cochlea, it is impossible to fool the brain into thinking that sound is coming from afar. Our brains are too intelligent for that. Hence, why with IEM's, I prefer the term, "headstage." In addition, I much appreciate you explaining the bass on the JH-13 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back