Sennheiser HD800 vs Audeze LCD-X
Nov 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm considering these two headphones.  Amplifier would be either a Ray Samueles Emmeline XP-7 or a Musical Fidelty M1 HPA.  I mostly listen to Rock, Industrial, Heavy Metal, but also some classical, jazz, techno, and classic rock.  

Obviously my budget is about $1500.  I like the idea of buying an American made product in the Audeze line. 

I have read through the thread on the LCD-X, but does anyone know how it compares to the HD800 in terms of soundstage width?

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 55
HD800 wins in soundstage width, no competition there.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 55
For classical and jazz go with hd 800.....
If you listen rock most of time hd 800 is not the best choice.
Anyhow I like very very very hd 800, I sell but now I want repurchase hd 800 ... great headphone.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 55
Based on your amps and music preference the LCD-X may be the best choice.  Try to demo them first, the Audeze weight and comfort may be an issue.

The HD800 needs a good amp pairing like an OTL tube amp to really do them justice.

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 55
I ordered the HD800 and will power it with a headroom micro amp/micro dac.  

We'll find out if Iike it or not, it should be here in a few hours!

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 55
Wow, just listened to the hd800 for the first time - they make my next best headphone - the MS2i, sound like a pair of super muddy earbuds that come with an ipod.  I never knew what I was missing.  They sound great on the rock tracks I've been listening to - Nine Inch Nails' "We're In this Together, "No You Don't", and "Burn".  Piercingly accurate mids, agressive yet pleasnt highs, and smooth bass.  Then I tried a little mozart through them, whoa - Symphonie Nr. 29 gave me goose bumps - outstanding stereo imaging and soundstage.  Each instrument section is so clearly defined - crystal clear midrange and ample bottom end.  I'm looking forward to a lot of quality listening with the HD800.  

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 55
After a few days with the HD800, I'm really enjoying them.  However I think I might still like to try the LCD-X next year after it has been out awhile longer and there is more data/reviews available.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying the German headphone!

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 55
i would love to see someone post a direct comparison as well. Anyone actually heard them side by side? I am also reading the LCD x dedicated thread. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 55
I enjoy Dan's write-ups. He's made me think seriously about buying the LCD-X.

Indeed. Seems like a good partner for the LCD3 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 55
Indeed. Seems like a good partner for the LCD3 :)

I never heard the LCD-3 but I did own the LCD-2. There were times when I found the signature a little dull - something to be admired rather than enjoyed. If I buy the LCD-X, I'm hoping for the same quality plus a little extra excitement. The reviews are all really positive and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 55
I enjoy Dan's write-ups. He's made me think seriously about buying the LCD-X.

Thank you Tony.

I never heard the LCD-3 but I did own the LCD-2. There were times when I found the signature a little dull - something to be admired rather than enjoyed. If I buy the LCD-X, I'm hoping for the same quality plus a little extra excitement. The reviews are all really positive and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger.

I think that LCD-2 had some problems in the dynamics sector, in which both 3 and X are a clear step up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back