Sennheiser HD800 vs Audeze LCD-X
Jan 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 55

Thank you for your impressions. 

I think that pairing is very important here. I found LCD-X different than you guys did. The voices are one of the very strong points on LCD-X. I also think that LCD-X is overall more transparent than HD800.

The treble on lcd-x doesn't have the peak as HD800 but it is more linear and more present on higher frequencies. While the soundstage on hd800 is without any doubt deeper and wider, LCD-X has overall more air on top and better height. 

( I used silver widow and the new budged silver cable from toxic, which improve the transients, transparency, treble, etc )

Thanks for your unique perspective.  The LCD-X intrigues me very much. 

I always felt the LCD2 were a much closer presentation of a balanced frequency response than the HD800, albeit with a slight attenuation at the upper mids.  The HD800 was no better here either but it then had a wonky treble balance to boot.  On a technical basis, I had the LCD2 originals beating the HD800 on points.  It was more able to accurately track ambient cues in the recording itself.  The HD800 resonates its own ambience when the recording clearly does not call for it.  Really evident in studio recordings, and there are a lot of those going around.  Even the Original LCD2 was overall more transparent than the HD800.

Neither is the HD800 the perfect compliment to the LCD2s.  For recordings mastered on bright setups - which seem to represent a significant proportion of studios,  The K701 signature is much more compatible...that is the K701 signature without the wonky resonant upper mids.  The D7000 upper mids were spot on.

I think for people wanting to cover the spectrum of studio grade neutral need to understand why the HD650/HD600/K701 are the early references.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #33 of 55
Heard the LCD-X last weekend. Despite being the best Audeze yet, I still wouldn't own them myself. HD800 wins easily, IMO.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #34 of 55
I happen to have both here and think both are top flight headphones (agreed that they are the best Audeze yet), but I still find myself pulling out the LCD-X more often. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #35 of 55
I own HD800 and LCD-X and they are both good pairs of CANs.  They have strength and weakness on different kinds of music.

You may wish to see my comment (#13 and 14) in the other forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702117/audeze-lcd-3-newcomer-the-toxic-silver-widow-cable-takes-on-the-incumbent-king-the-qaudio-cable-and-the-audeze-stock-cable

Overall I like HD800 a bit more.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #37 of 55
  Maxvla, how did you get your hd800 in custom all black?  looks sweet!
I wish I could do something with mine, too much silver/aluminum looking..

Edit: my fault ... it is a HD800

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #38 of 55
Maxvla, how did you get your hd800 in custom all black?  looks sweet!
I wish I could do something with mine, too much silver/aluminum looking..

www.colorware.com Jet Black on all parts.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #41 of 55
Bumping this after Christmas to see if anyone has more to say after buying themselves new toys. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #43 of 55
I was considering the HD800's over the LCD-X's after reading several posts, but considering my setup and how some people don't like the pairing with the HD800 with the Schiit Lyr 2, the Audeze LCD-X's will be my choice.  Given the massive positive reviews of those headphones anyways, I think it'll be worth a try.  

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #44 of 55

good impressions! that said, (please correct me if im wrong) i think the Burson Conductor  isnt the best match for the HD800. granted the Senn is treble titled & is very extended up top (& bottom imo), i do not hear sibilance or treble harshness from mine.

i find the HD800 very honest & transparent so much so that while a lot of cans will gloss over (& perhaps color) the sound, the Senns will show it as is even if the emperor has no clothes. before we judge the messenger, it mite be just important to consider the message.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 55
  I was considering the HD800's over the LCD-X's after reading several posts, but considering my setup and how some people don't like the pairing with the HD800 with the Schiit Lyr 2, the Audeze LCD-X's will be my choice.  Given the massive positive reviews of those headphones anyways, I think it'll be worth a try.  

Agreed that the LCD-X would be a better match for your Lyr 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back