Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Mar 7, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #811 of 902
Except it's not quite that simple as assembly - different factories have different levels of expertise and quality control. Some take their work seriously, others cut corners and turn a blind eye to quality, some just aren't good at what they do. China is the same, perhaps a bit more extreme on the low end and regulation is loose.

Please do excuse the digression.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #812 of 902
I love my spray painted acid washed, HD800's. You can take your cynism and pessimism and know that Sennheiser is making some people very happy.
You can take that to the bank.
The only thing that i like better is my HE-s's.

To each his own. what floats you boat. Thats why there are so many choices.
It's like E-Harmony, for Headphone lovers.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #813 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each his own. What floats your boat. That's why there are so many choices. It's like E-Harmony, for Headphone lovers.

Too funny... : )

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #814 of 902
I feel that people are taking this thread the wrong way. From my understanding the OP is not attacking the sound, or build quality, of the HD800s. It's purely an aesthetic argument, one that I agree with.

If I had the money I would invest in a pair of HD800s, but I would still think they looked a bit tacky while wearing them at the same time. But then again, I don't think any of Sennheiser's headphones are beautiful like Denon's or AKG's are. That's just part of the Senn vibe. Just like volvo's used to not be pretty, but they got you to point a to b in a good manor.

Spray painted plastic tech is a fad of the 90's and early 2000's and will hopefully fade this decade.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #815 of 902
I definitely agree with the TC. I've only gotten to listened to the HD800's once for about 15 minutes, but the materials definitely were surprising to me.

I'm sure there's some reason Sennheiser did what they did, but I expected much more of a "wow" when I first saw their new flagship headphones. I -do- love the design, and think they look awesome, but would really have liked anything but the silver painted plastic =)

I definitely hope that fad dies soon. It's not so much a fad, it was so much more overwhelming than most fads, and it also lasted WAY longer. (way TOO long as well)

Interesting thread, glad to see it stir up so much discussion.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #816 of 902
Yes, David, it certainly isn't like "the good old days" when headphones were made from elephant tusks and cow hydes.
wink_face.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #817 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K., since you asked so nice, I will answer this yet again (with grinding and gnashing of teeth). Yes. I work on Wall Street, just a few blocks from J&R Audio. Yes, I held them in my hands and listened to them too. Now tell me, why do I have to answer this over and over again? Do I ever ask people who give the HD800 a glowing review to "prove to me" that they have heard them? Wouldn't that be arrogant of me?

No. It would be prudent in terms of finding out the basis of their opinion and quite reasonable.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #818 of 902
I agree that, on the surface, it is a reasonable question. However, like I said, when I have answered over and over again, the question is unreasonable. I would like to think that I have integrity and I respect others. I expect others to do the same with me.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #819 of 902
Quote:

I agree that, on the surface, it is a reasonable question. However, like I said, when I have answered over and over again, the question is unreasonable. I would like to think that I have integrity and I respect others. I expect others to do the same with me.

Perhaps it's unreasonable to expect someone recent to the thread to read through 50+ pages to find out whether you answered his question at some point. In my view, here on the party line, if the question is reasonable it's reasonable whomever asks and whenever they ask it (as long as it's done courteously). I think it shows no lack of respect.

Perhaps a note like "I explained this in post XXX" would suffice.

Kevin

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #820 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's unreasonable to expect someone recent to the thread to read through 50+ pages to find out whether you answered his question at some point. In my view, here on the party line, if the question is reasonable it's reasonable whomever asks and whenever they ask it (as long as it's done courteously). I think it shows no lack of respect.

Perhaps a note like "I explained this in post XXX" would suffice.

Kevin

Ha - it's because it's a 50+ page thread that has been going on for so long that people should either search through the thread, read it, or assume that if it were an issue, it probably would have been resolved at some point in the 14 months since the original post. Laziness and skepticism are not good reasons for making the OP answer the same dumb question over and over in order to try and discredit him rather than engaging the argument itself.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #821 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha - it's because it's a 50+ page thread that has been going on for so long that people should either search through the thread, read it, or assume that if it were an issue, it probably would have been resolved at some point in the 14 months since the original post. Laziness and skepticism are not good reasons for making the OP answer the same dumb question over and over in order to try and discredit him rather than engaging the argument itself.

First, it's not a dumb question. Second, asking the question is the only way to know the basis for someones claims and, in my view, is not "discrediting" in any way.

I have followed this thread with interest since the beginning, but frankly have not read all 50+ pages. Not because I am lazy, on the contrary I am busy and try to follow multiple threads with the time I have to devote to Head-fi. On the other hand, to "assume that if it were an issue, it probably would have been resolved at some point" WOULD be lazy, in my view.

And as I recall, it was quite a way into the thread before the OP let us know that he had indeed seen a pair in the flesh. I suspect that if he had started post one with "I went to J&R Music World today and checked out the HD-800 and...", he would have been asked the question much less often.

Now, I own HD-800's and find them mildly attractive, well built and comfortable with a nice feel to them. But I think the Sony R-10 is significantly nicer and sound better to boot (I have had long-term loans of two pairs over the years). I saw the Qualias live once, I thought they were very much a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" product, but I personally liked their looks (though I have no opinion on their sound as I didn't hear them) better than the HD-800. I think the T-1 looks good (and maybe more to my taste), but don't care much for the new Ultrasone. I freely admit however, that I have only seen pictures and having them in hand may well change my opinion.

And really NO headphone rivals my DT-48 for it's destruction proof build. And I actually like it's purposeful, retro looks, though I think many would not agree.

The bottom line is that one can disagree on esthetics, but to me there is nothing really substandard with the HD-800.

Kevin

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #822 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not because I am lazy, on the contrary I am busy and try to follow multiple threads with the time I have to devote to Head-fi. On the other hand, to "assume that if it were an issue, it probably would have been resolved at some point" WOULD be lazy, in my view.

Kevin, you see, this is the point. You are too "busy" following multiple threads. If you are busy doing so, than why should I take my time and answer a question I already answered before? When anyone here posts reviews of the HD800, do you question if they actually heard it or seen it? No. Most of the people here ask me this to discredit my observations. I am constantly being put in a defensive position. I am not saying you did this, but this is the norm. I say, read my opening post and address it for what it is. All the information is there. So now, here is what I propose: We have all said what we needed to say on this topic. Let's move on. Cheers.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #823 of 902
Quote:

Let's move on. Cheers.

Amen...

I am talking about this thread.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #825 of 902
Quote:

Kevin, you see, this is the point. You are too "busy" following multiple threads. If you are busy doing so, than why should I take my time and answer a question I already answered before?

Courtesy, perhaps? Actually David, even though I didn't read all 50+ pages, I did read of your experience with them at J & R. I guess not everyone did. By the way, you weren't one of the guys in their commercial, were you? (Just being playful)

Quote:

When anyone here posts reviews of the HD800, do you question if they actually heard it or seen it? No.

No? That's quite an assumption on your part! I personally have a problem with people making statements based on heresay. It's fine to say "so and so says", or "it's commonly stated" or "I read that" and the like, but to state second hand information as definative personal knowledge is misleading, at the least. When someone posts a review about ANY product and it's not stated in some way that its is based on personal experience in the review proper, I most certainly would question it, and have!

Quote:

Most of the people here ask me this to discredit my observations. I am constantly being put in a defensive position. I am not saying you did this, but this is the norm.

Well, if you hadn't had personal experience with the product, your observations would have deserved to be discredited.

Don't rule out that some of those people may have just wanted to know the facts. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to take my observations on face value without stating what they are based on. And as far as those who are just haters, no need to feel defensive in any case. They show their colors and fool no one.

Quote:

I say, read my opening post and address it for what it is. All the information is there. So now, here is what I propose: We have all said what we needed to say on this topic. Let's move on. Cheers.

I did. Nowhere did you state in your opening post that your opinion was based on personal experience with the product. That information WAS missing.

And apparently "we" hadn't said what we needed to say on this topic (smile). But you should know that I don't engauge people I don't think are worth it...

Best, Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back