Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jun 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #631 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a turn of phrase. The idea behind which is that the folks at Sennheiser chose to make the headphone look as if it were made of a material it is not. I think it's poor design, especially on such an expensive product, that's all there is to it.

Unlike some people in this thread, I would consider buying an HD800, and I don't think it foolish to buy one at all. I feel it could have been designed better for the price, but nothing is perfect. I'm sure it sounds beautiful and that IS what's important. But we CAN talk about design, and that's all I'm trying to talk about. We can want it to be even better than it is. We don't have to justify and defend everything about it. How else do things get better?
I'm sure it's well built. My personal headphone of choice is the HD650 and it's made of plastic, it's not very handsome, and it has a faux-metal finish (although not in silver). It's well built and I'm confident the HD800 will be even more sturdy. I appreciate that you don't mind the looks.
Perhaps I was ambiguous. When I said that about the HD800 I meant beautiful and outstanding sonically. I feel the HD800 could be more beautiful, especially for it's price. Again, that is all I'm saying.
I am not saying anything about anyone's choice to buy the headphones. I understand the desire for better than "good enough", this is head-fi after all. I didn't mean to be ambiguous about that. I'm only talking about the design, and not trying to warn people off headphones I've never owned or judge people who have bought them.
I don't know why you feel the need to attack me. If you felt attacked by my judgement of a headphone, it was not my intention I can assure you.

I feel the headphone should not have a fake finish at that price. That is all I am saying. This is not a judgment on your decision to purchase the headphone.
Condescending and ignoring the point I'm trying to make. I am merely discussing the DESIGN and the appearance of the product. Not the sound, which I have not heard. Not the people who have purchased it. I don't doubt that it is a great headphone.
Condescending again. But then again it seems like you feel judged through your headphone. Projection or something.

I never insinuated anyone bought the HD800 for less than well considered reasons. Your headphone is not you. I think your headphone is ugly. So what? I've bought ugly headphones because I liked the sound. I just wish they were prettier. I wish the HD800 was prettier.

Your comments are mostly fair enough. But please note, nowhere did I attack you personally in my reply. And I only worry about how people who know me personally judge me, so judge away if you like!
smile.gif

I intended no condescension in my statements, in fact I think the basic premise is fair game for discussion. That some don't like the feel or fit or would rather more high tech materials were used in their construction is a matter of taste and opinion, fine.

To me, the issue is the premise that the HD-800 was some kind of cynical rip-off, that Sennheiser was "too cheap" to do better and that people who buy them are "marks" (not your opinion, I understand). I don't think they are. I think they are an honest attempt to build a top-drawer phone that is not priced out of contention.

It is an economic/engineering problem. We don't know, perhaps they tried different materials and found what they used optimum or found that using higher tech materials that would have sounded as good/better would have inflated the price unacceptably. And I don't think the solution is to slap a piece of wood or a hunk of metal on for cred...

Perhaps they looked at a Qualia-like solution and rejected it on economic terms. Qualias sold for $3300 and were made by Sony, a gigantic company better able to absorb the design costs etc. It's a circular problem, some would prefer a more luxurious presentation, others would feel that the manufacturer wasted their money on esthetics. It would be ideal if, say, Sony re-started Qualia production, the consumer could make his choice.

My projection comment was based on your assertion that the HD-800were "pretentious". I am just not sure where this idea would come from but from within. And if you feel they are pretentious, that's OK too...

My comments involved no personal issue, just a (hopefully) reasoned reaction to some of the hysteria on this thread.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #632 of 902
It is impossible for Sennheiser to deny that they plagiarized, lifted, borrowed (whatever) the design of the HD800 from the SA5000. The SA5000 does not incorporate carbon fiber like the Qualia, but it is made with a super-light magnesium frame. Yet, I can't seem to find even one review that says that the SA5000 suffers from unwanted resonances because of its metal construction. Also, the SA5000 retailed for $700 new, though it is much cheaper now. In addition, when comparing these two headphones to each other, the lines, proportions, and composition of the SA5000 is simply the more outstanding of the two. This thread has never been about the sound quality of the HD800 but strictly about its design and build quality. For more than twice the price of the SA5000, Sennheiser could have done better. As some have said from other countries, the HD800 tops out at around $2000. The Sennheiser HD800 is left wanting.

Sony MDR SA5000
41QW6T5Z3GL._SS500_.jpg

Sennheiser HD800
3178661074_0c297b4439.jpg

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #633 of 902
Oh David, stop this "HD800 borrowed SA5000 design" please.

HD800 design is improvement from HD595 desgin. Look at how housings and headband are connected together. They are nothing like how SA5000 did.

The housings look familar, but they are actually completely different; SA5000 housing is not open at all except round driver area while HD800 are completely open (that black fiber material around round grill of SA5000 is hard and closed, while silver metal mesh of HD800 is soft and breathable.) The round driver area of SA5000 are sharply extruded from the whole housing, but HD800's is more of rounded mountain. The whole housing of SA5000 is completely round, while HD800's is not. And hey, headbands are just completely different.

I mean, their housing structures are fundermentally different from each other, I have no clue how they resemble other selves. Only things barely familar are that round grill for drivers and the way cables are connected.

And please, if you don't have/had SA5000 and HD800 in person, please stop posting about design/build quality issue. I personally owned SA5000 for a long time, and owned SA3000 for a long time as well.

They just fall short compared to HD800 in both build quality (they are not that great when you ACTUALLY see them in eyes.)

Here is my advice David; you go and buy/borrow/whatever both SA5000 and HD800 then say about build quality.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #635 of 902
You can just go one of meetings might be holding in New York city, if you have time you can go and see how they look alike.

These whole conversation is utterly worthless until you see and investigate both headphones carefully with your own eyes.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #637 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is impossible for Sennheiser to deny that they plagiarized, lifted, borrowed (whatever) the design of the HD800 from the SA5000. ]

Impossible? I bet they do deny it. To me, there are considerable differences (within the context that they are headphones...) and, since you conclude that "the HD800 is left wanting" you seem to think there are significant differences, too.
wink.gif

Quote:

The SA5000 does not incorporate carbon fiber like the Qualia, but it is made with a super-light magnesium frame. Yet, I can't seem to find even one review that says that the SA5000 suffers from unwanted resonances because of its metal construction. ]

How would one know? All I know is that I auditioned them a few years ago and thought that, while they sounded good, they were not truly outstanding. Because of the frame? Only a fool would claim that without proof.
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Also, the SA5000 retailed for $700 new, though it is much cheaper now. In addition, when comparing these two headphones to each other, the lines, proportions, and composition of the SA5000 is simply the more outstanding of the two. This thread has never been about the sound quality of the HD800 but strictly about its design and build quality. The HD800 is left wanting.

Well, I didn't care for the wide, curved headband and think they look a bit "squatty", but overall think the SA5000 is a reasonably attractive phone. Which is just how I feel about the HD-800 (which aren't completly to my esthetic liking either).

I find the HD-800 more comfortable, but comfort is in the head of the beholder and the Sony's weren't bad on this account.

I think the build quality is pretty similar. I don't know how much more (or less) strong Magnesium is than the composite Sennheiser uses, but I would not expect one to be particularly more or less durable than the other.

The desirability of particular materials for reasons other than sonics and durability is an esthetic consideration, personal to the prospective purchaser. Those for whom this is an important consideration should purchase another phone. R-10's are particularly tasty if you can afford the tariff.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #638 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think carbon fibre looks better than plastic spry silver.

Like thousands times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even carbon looking plastic
DT770%20Moon%203.jpg

Guess HD800 looks pale even comparing to those.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #639 of 902
Jun 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #640 of 902
If you think Sennheiser was wrong for choosing silver as the color, try imagining it a different color. I think the color right now is the best.

And if you think Sennheiser was being cheap I think you need to dust up on your economics, in the world of business it is a virtue to reduce cost and increase sale price. If you have such a high standard of justice and fairness, it's rather amusing you spend your time complaining about a headphone company, shouldn't you be out there protesting politicians or seal clubbers?

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #641 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They may possibly be the "best sounding headphones ever" as voted for by a majority of our peers, but the fact that they are made out of plastic seems to be a sore subject for most owners. They might be great, but I'm tired of people arguing the fact that they are made out of the best material for their function. Please admit you're in denial or just plain stupid for believing that using wood or metal would reduce sound quality... PLEASE!!! If you threw a nice looking koa veneer on these things it would not reduce SQ, only improve the looks. Just please admit that Sennheiser cut costs with the plastic, that's all. They might be the best sounding dynamics for most, but they are PLASTIC $1400 headphones.

I cant see the headphones when they are on my head...so it doesn't matter what they look like. Wood isn't as durable as plastic, I have owned some grados...trust me. Metal... I think weight might be an issue there...I mean unless it was super thin metal, but then it would dent easily.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #642 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like thousands times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even carbon looking plastic.

Just looks like overly-glossy plastic to me (normal carbon fibre finished for car modifications looks pretty much the same too, if not slightly more glassy than glossy (could be glass reinforced carbon fibre often, which may explain that)). It's the same difference as the HD800 (though the HD800 looks less glossy than that in pictures... whether it is in person I don't know).

That's practically like arguing whether you prefer a plain coloured shirt to one with checks.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #643 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not, what is then?
frown.gif

To me the build looks and feels impeccable. I don't think any in production phones even remotely approache that mark, at least I haven't seen any.
Sony MDR-SA5000 Pictorial & Review - Minidisc Community Forums
Sony MDR-SA5000 Review-Pictorial - Minidisc Community Forums

They look indeed good, but they are not the ones you can throw away to the floor due to weak headband-housing part (mine got this problem and I just decided to let it go after some repairs) and crappy cable (you will find many cases of cable issues on SA5000, fortunately I did not experience this problem.)

Looks like spring part of HD800 is the weakest link, but we shall see how this progress. So far I don't have much compliant about spring sound.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #645 of 902
Ummm...how can some of you not see the similarities between the sa5000 and the hd800? The designers were obviously influenced by the earlier design, whether they knew it or not.

Can't we all just agree that it would have been nice for Senn to use something other than painted plastic? It seems that the use of plastic concerns some more than others, to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back