Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #466 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Hope mine don't fall apart within the next several years, then.

I'll be surprised if you have them for several years. Most people on this forum sell and trade constantly.

Re: the HD800, yes, I do find them ugly. I'd still find them overpriced if they looked attractive, but $1400 for ugly headphones? If I wanted that, I'd get a Stax.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #467 of 902
no I'm with the OP on this one. Sennheiser does this in order to slash costs, not for the betterment of the headphones. just as they advertise features to this headphone which have been around and used for 40 years claiming them to be brand new.

There are PLENTY of metals that are just as light, if not lighter than plastic. There is plenty of wood that is just as light (or they could go denser wood with thinner materials).

All in all, I would cream my pants and take up a 2nd mortgage on my house the day that I see headphones made of fiberglass on the market. That is what they "should" be made of to produce quality sound with actual isolation.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #468 of 902
10 Design Rules of Dieter Rams from Braun in the 60's:

• Good design is innovative.
• Good design makes a product useful.
• Good design is aesthetic.
• Good design helps us to understand a product.
• Good design is unobtrusive.
• Good design is honest.
• Good design is durable.
• Good design is consequent to the last detail.
• Good design is concerned with the environment.
• Good design is as little design as possible.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #469 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a crazy idea. If you really dislike this thread so much, then don't post here anymore. The forum rules state that heated debate is power for the course and is to be encouraged. When I think of "bashing" something, I think of mindless ridicule, however that is not the case with the opening post or other posts on this thread. Who are "you guys" anyway? I know I am one guy who has thoughtfully and carefully stated my argument and I wouldn't have spent so much time on it if I didn't care about the HD800. I do care and that it why I titled my post to bite hard. I made the title of thread difficult to forget and I meant every word of it. It is fine that you disagree here but I have yet to read one post that bashes the HD800. In any case, even if someone did bash the HD800, how is that a moral pejorative? If someone praises something then it is "good". If someone bashes something then it is "bad". I just don't see the connection myself. One thing we know for sure on this thread is that the HD800 is spray-painted silver plastic. The aversion to this kind of treatment on electronics, or cars for that matter, does not only apply to the HD800, but is a ubiquitous practice everywhere one looks. It just so happens that the HD800, which is Sennheiser's new reference headphone, has decided to wear the same jacket as so many others in this business, and being that this is a headphone forum, has invited praise and protests alike. I don't find anything wrong with it wnmnkh.

First of all, I usually interpret a wall of text like this as indication that a writer has no concern about others; from your perspective, you have no problem reading this because the massages are already in your head.

We, however, do have problem, since we have no previous knowledge on what you wrote, and are forced to read this wall of text to understand.

If you think you care about other people, then this is very bad habit and I strongly suggest you to fix it.

Now I also recommend you to reread the whole things you wrote. You have been very sarcastic and unwilling to accept the FACT that why sennheiser had to choose plastic over other materials, that's what makes me annoying. Such actions, I define as 'bashing.'

By the way, the thread you quoted was the response to a guy who misread my saying (I said “all of HD800 related topics need to be locked”, not this thread only.) in first time.

I don't dislike the thread. My gripe is that I am annoyed by a bunch of people who complain that Sennheiser did not use exotic materials to make HD800. (edit : woot teh contradiction!)

Hmmm wow.

So you guys want Sennheiser to use magnesium frame, for instance, which will degrade the sound due to vibration?

What you guys are asking is “please compromise sound quality for shiny metal!”

That is, as krmathis said, hilarious.

We are.... talking about the reference headphones which should give us supreme, uncompromised sound quality, and you (yes, david you) are asking Sennheiser to abandon this most important point of HD800.

If you keep saying that those exotic materials, say like ones used for Sony R-10, are better choice for sound quality, then I shall post a long article with some good pictures to educate you about technologies and materials used on R-10.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #471 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
473076112_J6zFd-L.jpg

Regardless of if the plastic material was chosen for its qualities, i really wish they had chosen any other color than silver [except white]. The more pics i see of it being worn the more i think its a damn ugly headphone. Say looks dont matter all you like but its clearly evident quite a few people, even here, do care about looks. If its sonic bliss, does that make up for it? Absolutely, but still YIK.

Really would of preferred a darker color. Something, anything, that would of allowed the outline of the frame to blend in.

If sennheiser figures out a way to release a color customization kit it would probably be a massive success.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #472 of 902
It's a good thing that we all don't have the same taste, or else we would all fight over the same members of the opposite (or not opposite) sex, and there would be a large group of lonely people.

I happen to think that they are quite handsome looking, especially on Tyll's head with the black Headroom cap.

Different strokes for different folks.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #473 of 902
It seems David does not want to argue with me about materials used in HD800 (well, so you don't want my little lecture on R-10?
tongue.gif
)

Funny thing is that I spent so much time with material that I don't have chance to express my opinion on the color choice; I think it is more important than materials, which can compromise sound quality.

Well, it does not matter whether the color is white, silver, block, or dark blue regarding sound quality (I mean, the measurements of K701 and 702 are obviously same despite different colors.) So I don't care what materials companies use. But I do care color choices, a lot.

For instance, I prefer SA3000 over SA5000 (I owned both of them for a while, and returned SA5000) for various reasons (annoying leather pads, too strong bass response, etc) but the one of main reasons was color.

Black SA3000 was much cooler than silver SA5000. Yeah it is funny but I am a bit sensitive about color issue. So I kept SA3000 and threw SA5000.

When HD580s were arrived, I could not stand the color of headband (even more offensive after I upgraded them to HD600s with grills and cable) so I ended up repainting the headband with black spray can. Even though the finish of spray is far from good, it is much better than the original color.

Sennheiser made serious mistake with color choice again, IMO.

(if you feel surprised by this, you probably did not get the clue from my saying "my favorite headphones for design are Koss A250.)

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #474 of 902
they have grown on me. i think they look as good as the hd6xx. however, i do not find them comfortable. i wear a gs1k with the headband stretched to the point it falls off if i turn my head lol. nothing is that comfortable. even the r10 is hot and heavy compared to that.

yeah, wood would have been a lot nicer but they look ok. ok for a $1,400 headphone? thats a different story imo. one day when they are $600 they will be a good deal both in looks and sound. remember, i think the ed9 is way overpriced for what you get so this is my opinion. ymmv.

music_man

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #475 of 902
The silver colour does looks uglier the more you look*. They really should use charcol, black, dark grey instead. Silver just looks tacky....

Maybe this time a cottage industry will spring up to airbrush the HD800 to other colours...

*On the plus side the user will not be able to see what they are wearing while listening to music!

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #476 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another reason I love my beloved 48s..All metal.

I was very pleased with the build quality of my Ultrasone Edition 9's..

I felt they did put effort in to justify the exorbitant price.

I enjoy picking them up- I like that the materials have a recycling value- and I also appreciate the MU metal shielding for Electromagnetic radiation.

I do not think I would have the same feelings of a quality built product with the 800's.

No one would ever pick up Edition 9's and think they were cheaply made.

It's this attention to details that helps support the notion of thought that went into a product.

I thought the 800' were metal.. and now knowing it is just plastic.. I have lost over 80% of my interest in this product.

On occasion I have slept in my headphones on planes (ok ok typically its with audio technica nose canceling ones... but the Edition 9's are swift to replacing those) .. I wouldn't want to wake up to a cracked earcup on the 800's

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #477 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of if the plastic material was chosen for its qualities, i really wish they had chosen any other color than silver [except white]. The more pics i see of it being worn the more i think its a damn ugly headphone. Say looks dont matter all you like but its clearly evident quite a few people, even here, do care about looks. If its sonic bliss, does that make up for it? Absolutely, but still YIK.

Really would of preferred a darker color. Something, anything, that would of allowed the outline of the frame to blend in.

If sennheiser figures out a way to release a color customization kit it would probably be a massive success.
tongue_smile.gif

It's the opposite for me - the more photos I see, the more I like them.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #479 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the 800' were metal.. and now knowing it is just plastic.. I have lost over 80% of my interest in this product.

The Leona plastic of the HD 800 is acoustically and mechanically better than metal - that's why it was chosen.

Just wait until you actually *hear* them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back