Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #8,521 of 8,730
There has been some recent discussion here about the bass abilities of the hd800s'. Not for the first or last time.

Listening tonight to Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life and smiling like a loon at Jaco Pastorius' playing. The bass presentation of the hd800s lacks for nothing here.

HD800s←Little Dot mk4←Chord Mojo 2←Fiio M11

That said, I would immediately swap over to the lcd-x for bass heavy non-jazz music.

Horses for courses, I think.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #8,522 of 8,730
They did... the HD820. But I suppose the next complaint will be.... it's too expensive :relaxed:

Anyway, if you want bass, bass, and bass, there's always the Beats headphones :smiley:

I said a successor not something worse.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #8,523 of 8,730
There has been some recent discussion here about the bass abilities of the hd800s'. Not for the first or last time.

Listening tonight to Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life and smiling like a loon at Jaco Pastorius' playing. The bass presentation of the hd800s lacks for nothing here.

That said, I would immediately swap over to the lcd-x for bass heavy non-jazz music.

Thank you. I've been saying this for a while now. Good tune BTW. I have that album :thumbsup:

No, it isn't a bass monster, but the bass is deep and true. I personally find the bass extension quite impressive, and especially for a headphone that's said to have no bass. Check out End Of the Game on Pat's First Circle album. Note how deep the bass extensions at the end of the track.

If anyone has Cassandra Wilson's Dance To The Drummer Again, on that title track the HD800S handles those notes very well. Of course, the headphone amp also has a lot to say, so.... On my Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, those notes run deep.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #8,525 of 8,730
Sweet, my HD800S’s are sounding magnificent. The OG HD800’s I used to own, does have a more extend top end to my ears. The added low end presence of the S version balances out the sound somewhat. I still EQ in more sub bass and I imagine you will too. Even with all the other headphones in my collection, the HD800S’s stand out for their unique ability to sound so accurate and clean.

With that said, the HD800’s are a great addition to any collection regardless of what other headphones a person might own. I’ve own just about all of them; Susvara’s, Abyss TC’s, Solitaire P’s, LCD-4/5’s just to name a few. Nothing sounds like them and they are still referenced in many reviews when discussing sound quality. Glad to have them back in my stable.
I agree the HD800S is magnificent - I think it's without peer for classical music (including stats and planars). Comparisons with the HD800 have always intrigued me. I've owned several pairs and can understand why (particularly in the case of early production models) the HD800 is preferred by some (I preferred it for some time). I feel now the HD800S balance is better (as @Slim1970 suggests) - although I'm not persuaded extension - low or high - is different. I'm inclined to think tuning and distortion probably account for the different balance, which tends I think to alter particular aspects of the presentation without limiting range. I wanted to add here, however, that I've come to see the ADX5000 as the current successor to the HD800 - it seems to me to meld the special incisive quality of the earlier model with some new presentational characteristics. I can't decide whether it presents an audibly extended range - although it does seem to offer miraculous separation in some cases. The ADX isn't quite as spacious but is no slouch. Definitely worth a listen I think if the older HD800 presentation appeals.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #8,526 of 8,730

If you are happy with hd800 bass more power to you.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #8,527 of 8,730
Thank you. I've been saying this for a while now. Good tune BTW. I have that album :thumbsup:

No, it isn't a bass monster, but the bass is deep and true. I personally find the bass extension quite impressive, and especially for a headphone that's said to have no bass. Check out End Of the Game on Pat's First Circle album. Note how deep the bass extensions at the end of the track.

If anyone has Cassandra Wilson's Dance To The Drummer Again, on that title track the HD800S handles those notes very well. Of course, the headphone amp also has a lot to say, so.... On my Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, those notes run deep.

Deep and true? I think we just have different definitions of what a satisfying level of bass is.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #8,529 of 8,730
We do.

Peace :sunglasses:
I can see both your points. The HD 800S hits deep and low, this is true. Whatever bass is meant to be there will be represented.

However, what is lacking is the quantity of bass and bass emphasis in its tuning. Compared to other headphones it’s definitely less quantity than most.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #8,530 of 8,730
I can see both your points. The HD 800S hits deep and low, this is true. Whatever bass is meant to be there will be represented.
Agree, and why I say "true bass" and not that fake pumped up boomy bass that overwhelms.
However, what is lacking is the quantity of bass and bass emphasis in its tuning. Compared to other headphones it’s definitely less quantity than most.
I'll can somewhat agree with that as I've pointed out many a time (including > here) they aren't bass monsters and those into say EDM and Hip-Hop, should look elsewhere; however, to imply they have no bass is utter nonsense. They have plenty enough for most genres.

Do I wish they had more bass... yes. Am I happy with quality of bass they do provide... yes!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #8,531 of 8,730
I'd argue 800S even lack satisfying bass with something like a jazz trio. When I listen to o2 or atticus I can feel the vibration of the double bass and its so satisfying. On hd800S its like the bass is a ghostly after image that lacks satisfying solidity.

And in terms of the argument that hd800s has no bass... I didn't make that argument and not sure anyone here did ?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #8,532 of 8,730
I love my HD800s, they are the best headphones I have ever heard, I use them with RME ADI-2 FS oich I can't imagine they can sound any better, but I read here on the forum that they only reach their full potential with a tube amp or with a solid state as with Violectric amps.
But is it really worth spending 1000$ on an upgrade for one of these amps? i'm willing to do that upgrade, but $1000 is a lot of money, and if the difference is only subjective, it might not be worth the upgrade? please be honest, is there really worth for me to spend 1000$? and if I like the sound from thr RME what is the direction I would prefer, tube or solid state?

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #8,533 of 8,730
I love my HD800s, they are the best headphones I have ever heard, I use them with RME ADI-2 FS oich I can't imagine they can sound any better, but I read here on the forum that they only reach their full potential with a tube amp or with a solid state as with Violectric amps.
But is it really worth spending 1000$ on an upgrade for one of these amps? i'm willing to do that upgrade, but $1000 is a lot of money, and if the difference is only subjective, it might not be worth the upgrade? please be honest, is there really worth for me to spend 1000$? and if I like the sound from thr RME what is the direction I would prefer, tube or solid state?
A decent amp is a decent amp. A great tube amp will be many multiples over the budget, but yes Virginia, there is a Santa clause, he’s at the end of the tube rainbow

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #8,535 of 8,730
I would not call tube amp better, it's different, one might like the flavor or not.
Also there is no need buy 1000$ costing at first, you can try cheaper or used one and work way up if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back