Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #8,372 of 8,818
Should I pull the trigger and go for it or would it be better to buy something less power hungry like LCDx? Thank you so much
Hd800S is a lifetime keeper you can try and pry it from my cold dead hands head phone. You can/will improve your dac/amp situation worthy of hd800S scaling in the future. Try not to shuffle up product lines, buying reselling losses utils
While you, and I, love the HD800S, it's not going to be for everyone; and especially, if you're an EDM fan where bass is king.

Now let me clarify that - I'm most definitely NOT in the camp that the HD800S phones don't have bass, they have plenty; it's just not the hard-hitting kind of bass. Yes, you will feel it (I do when listening to EDM), and they do have excellent bass extension, but it's a little soft, and not the hard hitting knocks you off your feet bass.

That said, if you aren't a primary EDM or hip-hop listener, they're great. I love mine, and listen to all types of music with them to include EDM and hip-hip, but I'm primarily jazz, rock, and R&B. I also moved from the Sennheiser HD700, which has even less bass than the HD800S, and I liked the bass on those.

But again, if you're a bass monster, these may not be for you, but that doesn't mean in any stretch they don't have bass, cause they do. And a strong amp helps.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #8,373 of 8,818
I mostly listen to classical music but sometimes I want to have some fun with hip hop too. I'm more concerned about the impedance of the hp than the softness of the base in regard to the power of mojo2. I'm sure 800s scales well and always will be better and pricier gear... I'm just a bit worried that Mojo2 isn't enough

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #8,374 of 8,818
While you, and I, love the HD800S, it's not going to be for everyone; and especially, if you're an EDM fan where bass is king.

Now let me clarify that - I'm most definitely NOT in the camp that the HD800S phones don't have bass, they have plenty; it's just not the hard-hitting kind of bass. Yes, you will feel it (I do when listening to EDM), and they do have excellent bass extension, but it's a little soft, and not the hard hitting knocks you off your feet bass.

That said, if you aren't a primary EDM or hip-hop listener, they're great. I love mine, and listen to all types of music with them to include EDM and hip-hip, but I'm primarily jazz, rock, and R&B. I also moved from the Sennheiser HD700, which has even less bass than the HD800S, and I liked the bass on those.

But again, if you're a bass monster, these may not be for you, but that doesn't mean in any stretch they don't have bass, cause they do. And a strong amp helps.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Hd800s has all the base one needs, Edm check, r&b check, the hd800S isn’t a bass monster that requires a V it’s sweet sauce is the mids which produces all the speed, imaging, and bass Edm could ever require.
try a bass cannon with scooped out V and try Edm. Some ways better lots of ways worse. Depends. But imo and ymmv. Concerning hd800S appeal? Sure no hp is great for everyone and everything. But if I had one, and frankly I kinda do, hd800S is it

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #8,375 of 8,818
I mostly listen to classical music but sometimes I want to have some fun with hip hop too. I'm more concerned about the impedance of the hp than the softness of the base in regard to the power of mojo2. I'm sure 800s scales well and always will be better and pricier gear... I'm just a bit worried that Mojo2 isn't enough
Then, from my understanding, you might want to look at something stronger than the Mojo2.

I moved to a dedicated headphone amp with more oomph and power compared to my Teac UD503 DAC/headphone amp, and now my 800S's sing, but this is a 2K amp with a 1.8K DAC as seen in > post #8361

That said, you might figure out what you want, and how much you want to spend. I'm sure others will chime in with some great suggestions, once you provide a bit more info on budget and what you might want.

Good luck.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #8,376 of 8,818
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Hd800s has all the base one needs, Edm check, r&b check, the hd800S isn’t a bass monster that requires a V it’s sweet sauce is the mids which produces all the speed, imaging, and bass Edm could ever require.
try a bass cannon with scooped out V and try Edm. Some ways better lots of ways worse. Depends. But imo and ymmv. Concerning hd800S appeal? Sure no hp is great for everyone and everything. But if I had one, and frankly I kinda do, hd800S is it
I'm merely pointing out a criticism many levy against the Sennheiser HD800S cans. Surely, you're not living under a rock where you don't know that criticism exits???

For me, it's a non-issue, for you it's a non-issue. Apparently, it's a non-issue for the OP. Great. But for some it was and still is an issue. And why I brought it up.

Moving on :sunglasses:

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #8,377 of 8,818
I'm merely pointing out a criticism many levy against the Sennheiser HD800S cans. Surely, you're not living under a rock where you don't know that criticism exits???

For me, it's a non-issue, for you it's a non-issue. Apparently, it's a non-issue for the OP. Great. But for some it was and still is an issue. And why I brought it up.

Moving on :sunglasses:
sure but learned long ago that generalizations are a form of shaping cognitive dissonance. this AMP sounds like that or this HP sounds like this... It might but these get formed to provide generalizations..... but sure i get it

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #8,378 of 8,818
sure but learned long ago that generalizations are a form of shaping cognitive dissonance. this AMP sounds like that or this HP sounds like this... It might but these get formed to provide generalizations..... but sure i get it
The last time I checked, we were in a forum where people post all sorts of stuff, because.... it's a public forum.

But I just have to address this... "shaping cognitive dissonance"???
Cognitive dissonance is the discomfort a person feels when their behavior does not align with their values or beliefs. Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon that occurs when a person holds two contradictory beliefs at the same time.
:thinking:

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #8,379 of 8,818
All you had to do was look at the first post in the thread. Clearly shabta.

I didn't (and still don't) know what tom807 is on about???
I was wrong. Sorry. I thought this was a thread I started because I started one that was similar, I think it’s about the fantastic, closed-back Sennheiser HD-820. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8,384 of 8,818
I absolutely love my HD800S with tube amps. Currently, I'm using my Woo Audio WA22. It certainly delivers a nice low-end resonance, which is something the HD800S really benefits from. My headphones also have Dekoni pads.

IHNQT9k.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #8,385 of 8,818
I'm happy with Mojo2 because I can enjoy music on my desk, couch and bed. With this gear, would you get hd800s or better buy something easier to move? Thank you so much
When you ask people for help, and they give it, at least have the common courtesy to read it before re-asking a question in which an answer was given....

Then, from my understanding, you might want to look at something stronger than the Mojo2.

I moved to a dedicated headphone amp with more oomph and power compared to my Teac UD503 DAC/headphone amp, and now my 800S's sing, but this is a 2K amp with a 1.8K DAC as seen in > post #8361

That said, you might figure out what you want, and how much you want to spend. I'm sure others will chime in with some great suggestions, once you provide a bit more info on budget and what you might want.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back