Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #8,356 of 8,828
Mine are great with the Bottlehead Crack…

ucePJxq.jpg
Wow that bottlehead crack looks nice! So used to seeing the plain wood finish 😂

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #8,358 of 8,828
This is for the one other person in this world with Playback Designs Merlot and using it as a headphone amp - Merlot’s integrated headphone amp is about 80% of CFA3 when it comes to 800S (in technicalities and not musicality).

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #8,359 of 8,828
Thanks!!
I've been reading a lot of your reviews of some products.. I bought a few! Thank you for helping with the revisions, but my wallet hasn't been very happy with it! 😂

From what I've read, V222 is not that clinical. It's more on the warm and soft side. Wouldn't the V222 together with the Ares II make something too smooth?

The V222 will arrive within 3 days, I will be able to test it, but opinions from those with more experience are always welcome. I think anxiety is high here too… 😂
I don't think that the combo will sound too smooth or warm. You are going to get very natural timbre with great punch, dynamics, immersive soundstage, well behaved and extended treble and bass. Just let me know when you test.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #8,361 of 8,828
Got my Denafrips Artemis Headphone amp, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1, and Denafrips Iris DDC (not pictured)...

Artemis.jpg

The Sennheiser HD800S sound great on the Artemis as the amp was tuned by the company with the 800S in mind. The signature of the amp is musical, warm and tubby. The amp is designed for music enjoyment, not for analytical purposes.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #8,363 of 8,828
I guess since I am the one who started this thread, I might as well tell you about my headphone set up. I love listening through headphones. Some might be even more “into it” then I am, but still, this is my stuff.

I have a few headphones. I have a closed-back set of ear-goggles, the Sennheiser HD-820. For daytime listening I use either my Grado PS-2000e. I also have an older set of Oppo planar magnetic PM-1. I have a bunch of lesser ‘phones, but those are my three best.

I have a few headphone amplifiers, but two of them are worth mentioning - The solid-state Pass Labs HPA-1 is killer. But I also have a vacuum tube powered Woo Audio WA-2 that is, IMHO an excellent sounding unit.

When I’m listening late at night I often listen through one of FiiO’s latest offerings, their M17 digital audio player. It’s a large “portable” player that’s like the old iPod Touch, the M17 is like an Android cell phone that can’t make phone calls, but can also be used a number of ways, but I just listen to music through it. It is very powerful, and can drive even the most impedance challenged (insensitive) headphones imaginable.

I’d also like to address the Sennheiser HD-800S that many have mentioned. I used to own them but sold them. I didn’t like them at all. Their sound quality is fantastic. But what bothered me about them was everything besides their sound. I know the Grado’s fit kinda weird, as they just lie atop one’s head. If you make a move they’ll fall off. But I don’t wear them out of the house or in bed. They are for serious listening so that doesn’t bother me.

But the Sennheiser HD-800 is MUCH worse. Plus the headband (head strap?) is a pain in the neck to adjust, and often fell apart when I used it. Futzing with the head strap or what ever you call it took my time while I much rather have been listening to music. The closed-back HD-820 that I use instead is similar, but much, much better ergonomically. It fits much tighter on my head, and is much easier toi adjust. And their sound quality is top notch.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #8,364 of 8,828
Is Mojo2 powerful enough for HD800S?
While not the ultimate amp/dac for the hd800s, it does supply sufficient power for the cans.

p.s. I own a mojo 2 and the hd800s

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #8,365 of 8,828
I guess since I am the one who started this thread, I might as well tell you about my headphone set up. I love listening through headphones. Some might be even more “into it” then I am, but still, this is my stuff.

I have a few headphones. I have a closed-back set of ear-goggles, the Sennheiser HD-820. For daytime listening I use either my Grado PS-2000e. I also have an older set of Oppo planar magnetic PM-1. I have a bunch of lesser ‘phones, but those are my three best.

I have a few headphone amplifiers, but two of them are worth mentioning - The solid-state Pass Labs HPA-1 is killer. But I also have a vacuum tube powered Woo Audio WA-2 that is, IMHO an excellent sounding unit.

When I’m listening late at night I often listen through one of FiiO’s latest offerings, their M17 digital audio player. It’s a large “portable” player that’s like the old iPod Touch, the M17 is like an Android cell phone that can’t make phone calls, but can also be used a number of ways, but I just listen to music through it. It is very powerful, and can drive even the most impedance challenged (insensitive) headphones imaginable.

I’d also like to address the Sennheiser HD-800S that many have mentioned. I used to own them but sold them. I didn’t like them at all. Their sound quality is fantastic. But what bothered me about them was everything besides their sound. I know the Grado’s fit kinda weird, as they just lie atop one’s head. If you make a move they’ll fall off. But I don’t wear them out of the house or in bed. They are for serious listening so that doesn’t bother me.

But the Sennheiser HD-800 is MUCH worse. Plus the headband (head strap?) is a pain in the neck to adjust, and often fell apart when I used it. Futzing with the head strap or what ever you call it took my time while I much rather have been listening to music. The closed-back HD-820 that I use instead is similar, but much, much better ergonomically. It fits much tighter on my head, and is much easier fo adjust. And their sound quality is top notch.
Is Mojo2 powerful enough for HD800S?
That is an excellent headphone amplifier. I bet it would have no problem at all. I’ve used headphones that were much more difficult to drive than the HD-800.
If you are still worried about it, Chord does answer phone calls and email, their customer service is very responsive.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #8,366 of 8,828
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #8,369 of 8,828
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #8,370 of 8,828
Should I pull the trigger and go for it or would it be better to buy something less power hungry like LCDx? Thank you so much
Hd800S is a lifetime keeper you can try and pry it from my cold dead hands head phone. You can/will improve your dac/amp situation worthy of hd800S scaling in the future. Try not to shuffle up product lines, buying reselling losses utils

Users who are viewing this thread

Back