Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 7, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #8,056 of 8,816
Just got the Senn XLR cable for the 800S and now running balanced from the GSX Mk2. The combination of the NewOntech DAC and GSX is making the 800S sound really nice. The top end is smoother and more extended. The mid is slightly warm, very inviting, and natural, and I even got palpable macro dynamics, slam and bass performance from the 800S.
How do you think the HD800S compares to your Utopia 2022?

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #8,058 of 8,816
How do you think the HD800S compares to your Utopia 2022?
Utopia 2022 is more natural sounding. The instruments and voices have a certain weight and naturalness to them like IRL and without any harshness. 800S can sound very natural through the mids as well (upgrade from 600/650) but the reproduction lacks a certain weight to the notes and lacks a certain finesse and smoothness you can hear in Utopia. Bass, dynamics and PRaT obviously all favor Utoipa 2022. Both cans lack adequate sub bass, but Utopia 2022 still has more compared with 800S and is generally fine for most music. 800S has a bit of lower treble issue in the FR and the resolution is not quite there compared with Utopia 2022 - there is just something more in the notes, especially finely rendered notes in the background. The actual stage on 800S is a bit wider and larger even when the instrument/voice was close miced. Utopia 2022 will render those closer to what the mic has actually captured. close miced songs will be very much in your face but when called for Utopia 2022 can render a fairly large soundstage. I do like 800S for older recordings as that added soundstage effect can sound more open and more relexing.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #8,059 of 8,816
Utopia 2022 is more natural sounding. The instruments and voices have a certain weight and naturalness to them like IRL and without any harshness. 800S can sound very natural through the mids as well (upgrade from 600/650) but the reproduction lacks a certain weight to the notes and lacks a certain finesse and smoothness you can hear in Utopia. Bass, dynamics and PRaT obviously all favor Utoipa 2022. Both cans lack adequate sub bass, but Utopia 2022 still has more compared with 800S and is generally fine for most music. 800S has a bit of lower treble issue in the FR and the reoslution is not quite there compared with Utopia 2022 - there is just something more in the notes, espeically finly rendered notes in the background. The actual stage on 800S is a bit wider and larger even when the instrument/voice was close miced. Utopia 2022 will render those closer to what the mic has actually captured. close miced songs will be very much in your face but when called for Utopia 2022 can render a fairly large soundstage. I do like 800S for older recordings as that added soundstage effect can sound more open and more relexing.
Thanks for the impressions! Considering another headphone to complement the HD800 and Utopia 2022 appears to be a strong contender.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #8,060 of 8,816
Thanks for the impressions! Considering another headphone to complement the HD800 and Utopia 2022 appears to be a strong contender.
Make sense. 800S and Utopia 2022 have some of the best mid reproduction on the market. RAALs are better but there are some serious issues with those cans as well. Nothing is perfect. Planars just can't render the mid as naturally and life-like as 800S and to a greater extent Utopia 2022.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #8,061 of 8,816
To add what Chesebert mentioned, Utopia 2022/HD800S both require a decent amp especially a Valve amp. Both scale very well with better amps but Utopias reach far greater heights in sonic nirvana than the HD800S are capable of. We are talking Stax/Susvara territory.

I genuinely don't see a reason to keep both. If I was you, I would rather sell the HD800S and put the $$ towards better gear for the Utopias. I am in a similar conundrum where I am thinking of selling my other headphones to fund for a better DAC and just keep the Utopias.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #8,062 of 8,816
To add what Chesebert mentioned, Utopia 2022/HD800S both require a decent amp especially a Valve amp. Both scale very well with better amps but Utopias reach far greater heights in sonic nirvana than the HD800S are capable of. We are talking Stax/Susvara territory.

I genuinely don't see a reason to keep both. If I was you, I would rather sell the HD800S and put the $$ towards better gear for the Utopias. I am in a similar conundrum where I am thinking of selling my other headphones to fund for a better DAC and just keep the Utopias.
Just as a counter point, I thought it was the exact opposite when I owned Utopias (OG in my case). When I got a 300b amp, the Senns were the main beneficiary, becoming natural, spacious and surprisingly warm-ish. There was a big change from a Pendant to the HA-300 for the Senns, but not for the Focals. The Utopias, to my ears, had a very slight plasticky timbre and never lost their treble…spiky-ness? like the Senns did. The 2022 is probably quite a bit better in this regard though. And of course, we all hear differently and have different preferences, etc., etc.

So I say, skip the Utopias and get better gear for the Senns! This is the HD800S thread after all. And then get Utopias, cause they are great.

Also, shout out to the HD280 pro in your sig, my first headphones as well. I rocked those ugly headphones all over campus, before big headphones were a thing, and looked like a happy idiot doing it!

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #8,064 of 8,816
Just as a counter point, I thought it was the exact opposite when I owned Utopias (OG in my case). When I got a 300b amp, the Senns were the main beneficiary, becoming natural, spacious and surprisingly warm-ish. There was a big change from a Pendant to the HA-300 for the Senns, but not for the Focals. The Utopias, to my ears, had a very slight plasticky timbre and never lost their treble…spiky-ness? like the Senns did. The 2022 is probably quite a bit better in this regard though. And of course, we all hear differently and have different preferences, etc., etc.

So I say, skip the Utopias and get better gear for the Senns! This is the HD800S thread after all. And then get Utopias, cause they are great.

Also, shout out to the HD280 pro in your sig, my first headphones as well. I rocked those ugly headphones all over campus, before big headphones were a thing, and looked like a happy idiot doing it!
Sorry I have to disagree. I have owned both and still own the Utopia 2022. The amp is a WA33. I heard the Susvara on the same amp as well and preferred the Utopias. They scale immensely. (Susvara seemed a bit soft even though they digged a little deeper being a planar). One of the very very few headphones (Utopia22) that can play classical or hip-hop or rock, pop and or jazz and absolutely excel at it. HD800S were only good for classical. Couldn't do rock or modern genres.

I have also heard the Utopias (2022) on a Burson GT and Auralic Taurus mk2. Both amps don't even come close to what the Utopias sound off a WA33. I would even go as far to say that it is a better combo than the Stax SR007 mk1 with a custom amp from Norway which I owned previously.

Yes this is a HD800S thread and they are good headphones. But putting them in the same club as Utopias/Susvara/Stax... is just another hypefi train symptom.

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #8,065 of 8,816
hd800S only good on classical, lol. Good chuckle

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #8,066 of 8,816
Perhaps he meant that for classical, they're in the same tier as Utopia but drop a tier or two on genres like rock, whereas Utopia stay on the top tier.

I don't have enough high-end experience to not be able to enjoy all genres on my HD-800S, including EDM, particularly once my brain tunes back into their signature. But they're not the first headphones I think of if I want a more viscerally tactile experience. I also probably don't have ideal amplification for the 800S, yet I still quite enjoy them and have never felt robbed listening to anything on them. :L3000:

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #8,067 of 8,816
Sorry I have to disagree. I have owned both and still own the Utopia 2022. The amp is a WA33. I heard the Susvara on the same amp as well and preferred the Utopias. They scale immensely. (Susvara seemed a bit soft even though they digged a little deeper being a planar). One of the very very few headphones (Utopia22) that can play classical or hip-hop or rock, pop and or jazz and absolutely excel at it. HD800S were only good for classical. Couldn't do rock or modern genres.
Stopped reading here. Im sure that your vapor infused paladium cable and fancy USB cable is also helping :)

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #8,068 of 8,816
Well it is a subjective hobby and if you think HD800S is good enough for modern pop/rock, good for you. Didn’t do it for me as I thought the HD800S was too soft in the bass even with a tube amp and the HDV820 amp. That’s why I sold them and the fact that only 10% of my library is classical. I would rather take the Pre Fazor LCD2 for modern genres.

Im sure that your vapor infused paladium cable and fancy USB cable is also helping :)
Thanks for reminding me! Even though I am using a network streamer into my DAC via a $20 AES cable. But yes, I don't have the measurements to prove it so I must be an idiot.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #8,069 of 8,816
Recommending HD800S for the music focussed on bass is a crime.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #8,070 of 8,816

Apologies @steve468 if I came across a bit harsh in my previous response to your post. That was not my intention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back