Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 28, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #7,681 of 8,758
I don’t know fiio, but before you spend maybe twice the cost of your dac amp on better cables, i’d consider my prioritization so balanced timber and no eq might be necessary. 1) music server 2) dac3) amp 4) hp 5) cables and interconnects. Otherwise eq?
Well, that dac/amp combo is 769 USD now on ebay (AKM version was limited due to chip shortage) and has decent specs I think -> https://fiio.com/K9PRO , and the cable I plan to buy is 174 USD (Forza AudioWorks Noir HPC Mk2). I listen to music from Tidal currently. For EQ I use EasyEffects (linux user here) and use presets from AutoEQ github repo.

So for the first part you were off the mark considerably and for the second, yes EQ might be my savior here.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #7,682 of 8,758
Well, that dac/amp combo is 769 USD now on ebay (AKM version was limited due to chip shortage) and has decent specs I think -> https://fiio.com/K9PRO , and the cable I plan to buy is 174 USD (Forza AudioWorks Noir HPC Mk2). I listen to music from Tidal currently. For EQ I use EasyEffects (linux user here) and use presets from AutoEQ github repo.

So for the first part you were off the mark considerably and for the second, yes EQ might be my savior here.
Sorry I hesitated to respond to general inquiry into better cables, we have different price points around what “better” may be. That’s fine, concerning my ranking of audio importance 1 through 5, imo, that’s spot on but again, price point may indicate eq as quick and easy compromise. Carry on.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #7,683 of 8,758
Got myself a pair. Soundstage is impressive, separation also. They are bright. I'm thinking of getting a custom 7N copper cable for them as the stock cables are friggin' long.

A question to you guys. Do they gain from better cables? What amp would be recommended? Currently I'm running them on Fiio K9 Pro AKM.
Yeah, that long cable made for the old days when I plugged in to my main home system. Picked up inexpensive Ali cable 1.2m long, sounds the same to me and so much more manageable for walking around the house. Love this setup thru my L&P, no EQ.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #7,684 of 8,758
picked up my pair, amazing sound, but the stock cable really does feel terrible, thankfully my hart audio cable is gonna be here today and I can just integrate it into my stack. Everything else is fantastic, no eq yet though I want to really get a feel for these stock.

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #7,685 of 8,758
Question for you 800s owners. I just got mine today in the mail. It looks like the package has been opened. The tabs on either side have been ripped off, the headset has fingers prints on it, there is residue on the earpads, and the instruction manual was out of its sleeve. It's going back tomorrow.

Was there saran wrap on the headphone box for you guys?

Also, the serial number on the headphones, does that number match up to anything on the box itself?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #7,686 of 8,758
Question for you 800s owners. I just got mine today in the mail. It looks like the package has been opened. The tabs on either side have been ripped off, the headset has fingers prints on it, there is residue on the earpads, and the instruction manual was out of its sleeve. It's going back tomorrow.

Also, the serial number on the headphones, does that number match up to anything on the box itself?
Where did you order your unit from, if I may ask? My 800S box had a protective clear plastic covering around it, but certainly nothing that I'd describe as 'saran wrap'. Hope the next unit is a much better experience for you!

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #7,687 of 8,758

The HD800S comes without a sealed plastic wrap, but Sennheiser sends them out in a loose plastic bag to vendors. Serial number on the headphones should match with a sticker on the bottom of the box.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #7,689 of 8,758
If one buys online, best buy does use resellers......good luck

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #7,692 of 8,758
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #7,693 of 8,758
for those using eq would you be willing to share your eq?
I use Chrono's (Headphones.com) EQ filter recommendations and couldn't be happier:

• Low Shelf at 100hz, +5dB Q of 0.7
  • Peak at 5500hz, -5dB Q of 4
  • Peak at 10000hz, -2dB Q of 2
Source

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #7,694 of 8,758
New pads arrived!! first impression is its very comfortable.

Quite different experience.....its more engaging and less chill listening. Overall i love it, but i cannot say its better than stock. It became more headphone listening compared to stock. Ill give impressions after 1 2 days more of listening. You can listen music louder with the leather pad and feel less fatique.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-05 at 14.44.40.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-05 at 14.44.402.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back