Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #7,651 of 8,790
That's a shame, but i totally get it. If a headphone is not comfortable to me, i let it go no matter how good it sounds. It's just too distracting. For me the 800S is super comfortable, since my ears are on the larger side. On the 660S my ears would touch the inner foam which was a bit annoying but other than that i loved the secure fit.
Yea, I can see that on the 660s.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #7,652 of 8,790
elfgesang: That's a shame, but i totally get it. If a headphone is not comfortable to me, i let it go no matter how good it sounds. It's just too distracting. For me the 800S is super comfortable, since my ears are on the larger side. On the 660S my ears would touch the inner foam which was a bit annoying but other than that i loved the secure fit.

I have owned the massdrop HD 6XX (HD650 version, sounds the same but cheaper), and I too did not like that my ears touched the foam. The sound was inferior, lesser soundstage, less clarity, muddy bass.
But it was way cheaper so okay. I did like the design of it, it looked like a proper headphone. I have sold them, after I had the HD800S. I could sell them for about 15 euro loss, after having it for almost a year, so I have positive memories about them. One guy is happy with it somewhere. After the HD800S for me it was only collecting dust.

These I did not own but tried:

I have tried the Focal Clears, I preferred the HD800S sound, mainly because of the soundstage. The Focal Clears looked much better, but I think the sound and comfort is slightly inferior. Maybe the bass was a bit superior, but less detail in the music and smaller soundstage. The Clear puts the music in your head, the HD800S surrounds you with music. The Clears have the advantage tough, that they sound great from a cheaper source, not that picky. They are enjoyable for younger people I think. I also dislike the pads wear out after some time, don't look that pretty anymore, and are super expensive. For the HD800S, pads last longer and much-much cheaper to replace.

The Hifiman Arya still didn't beat the HD800S, maybe an equal at most. Some may prefer the Arya, I can understand that, depending on source and taste. The Arya is superior in bass response, a little bit less clarity and detail I think. A bit narrower soundstage. Comfort is equal.

The ADX5000, well, had more clarity, but since then I have improved my chain with a Violectric clone amp and silver cables, so if I compared them now, maybe the difference is less. It touches your ears, which I dislike after the HD800S, maybe you can remove that fabric which protects the drivers from dust, so your ears fit. It is possible I would change to that, I think the ADX5000 surpasses the HD800S in clarity, detail. The soundstage may be less, but gives you an airy, effortless sound. A more vivid, alive sound. The HD800S is a bit dull next to it, well a bit more relaxing maybe. The looks and build quality is also better, built like a spaceship. It's a possible upgrade from the HD800S.

The Hifiman HE1000SE was superior in sound, in comfort an rough equal, I think it also looks better than the HD800S. It is more expensive. The sound may be "too much" on the long run tough, too much detail, too bright. Maybe on the longer run I would prefer the HD800S from a quality source, it is not an animal, but a tame beast. :wink:

The HD800S are my endgame, unless I win the lottery and can afford something like the Susvaras with quality source or the Sennheiser Orpheus \ HE-1.

Maybe the Hifiman HE1000V2 stealth can come into play later, I don't know, I don't think it's worth it or better for my taste. Maybe try it one day. Maybe pick up a used ADX5000 it has a normal price and somewhat better sound I think, but I need a new listen. Definitely properly built, doesn't look like a cheap toy.

I have also read on local forums, that wealthy people upgrade to fancy headphones like the HE1000 or Utopia or Stax, but still buy the HD800S again, come back to it for some reason, maybe keep both. I think the HD800S from a good source can have the natural, clear, realistic sound, not the overexaggerated, super-duper "too much" sound, that's why they buy it again. From a good source it's truly a great headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #7,653 of 8,790
I compared susvara vs hd800S for a week. Completely different in that sus is harmonious and maybe a touch warmer where hd800s is snappier, more resolving thus expansive. I couldn’t justify sus on my desk given my preferences and that I have a complimentary bass cannon in a fully modded th900. Even at 30% disc, course if money was not a concern….. seriously 800s is a fantastic all rounder if properly scaled

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #7,654 of 8,790
I compared susvara vs hd800S for a week. Completely different in that sus is harmonious and maybe a touch warmer where hd800s is snappier, more resolving thus expansive. I couldn’t justify sus on my desk given my preferences and that I have a complimentary bass cannon in a fully modded th900. Even at 30% disc, course if money was not a concern….. seriously 800s is a fantastic all rounder if properly scaled
For me the HE1000SE and ADX5000 beat the HD800S in resolution. It's hard to believe that the HD800S would beat the even higher end Susvaras.

Anyway everybody has their opinion.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #7,655 of 8,790
For me the HE1000SE and ADX5000 beat the HD800S in resolution. It's hard to believe that the HD800S would beat the even higher end Susvaras.

Anyway everybody has their opinion.
He1000 to me was as resolving if not more resolving than hd800S. I didn’t compare them side by side but passed cause whether it was as snappy or not, was too similar. Susvara is a rich harmonious sound that is different, it’s plenty resolving but that snappy edge or the knock of 800s slight thinness isn’t there. Granted its preferences but susvara lacked the wow for me is all. It could be an alternative all rounder or if discretionary cash is not an issue…

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #7,656 of 8,790
He100 to me was as resolving if not more resolving than hd800S. I didn’t compare them side by side but passed cause whether it was as snappy or not, was too similar. Susvara is a rich harmonious sound that is different, it’s plenty resolving but that snappy edge or the knock of 800s slight thinness isn’t there. Granted its preferences but susvara lacked the wow for me is all. It could be an alternative all rounder or if discretionary cash is not an issue…
If that was your impression of the Susvara compared to HD800S, I respect your opinion.

I have never heard the Susvaras, but I heard the ADX5000, HE1000SE and my own HD800S side by side.

Here are some pictures of the test: Google Album

I am sure you will like the pictures, but you will say the DAC+AMP is not the best ( iFi ZEN ONE Signature DAC + ZEN CAN Signature HFM).

I know, but it was for comparision, at the time, only that was available there.

With this combination, the HE1000SE won, excellent highs, mids, tight bass and resolution, almost as big soundstage as HD800S. It blew my mind.

The ADX5000 was second, as clear and good as HE1000SE, only the bass was weak, but I think that was because of AMP, it just needs a stronger amp with more power. (the HD800S also improves vastly with more powerful amp, especially the bass) Maybe with a more suitable amp, probably it could come very close to HE1000SE.

HD800S was third, a little bit less vivid and clear as the other two, a bit more dull. But the Sennheiser had the factory cable, while the other two had aftermarket ones.

With the previously mentioned Aliexpress cable, maybe the gap closes. I still think the other two would win in clarity, they were very clear and vivid to my ears then.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #7,657 of 8,790
I guess the difference was I wasn’t looking for winners or losers. It was preferences. I’d be happy with any of the above but am very pleased with my hp decisions so far. Have only owned two for the last 8 years.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #7,658 of 8,790
I guess the difference was I wasn’t looking for winners or losers. It was preferences. I’d be happy with any of the above but am very pleased with my hp decisions so far. Have only owned two for the last 8 years.
I only have the HD800S basically. I do not own any other expensive headphones. I even sold my HD6XX after I received this one. Why keep it, if I do not use it anymore.

Other than that I own a few earbuds.

If I would upgrade to the ADX5000, I would sell the HD800S. I have seen used ones the difference in price is not that big, so for relatively little money an upgrade is possible, and I think it is an upgrade. Most people say the ADX5000 has better sound than HD800S, and from memory I believe so. I would need to listen again to confirm this to be true, because I have upgraded the source for my HD800S since then. Best would be, if somebody could give it to me for a weekend to compare the two :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #7,660 of 8,790
Which of them has the best bass, ADX5000 or 800s?
ADX5000, more clean.

Overall, my impression was, that it had a slightly more sophisticated, more clean and vivid sound.

The soundstage wasn't that much smaller. A bit different, but not neccessarily worse.

The biggest thing I disliked is the fabric which touches your ears.

ADX5000 is a good headphone, but some may stay with HD800S, because of taste or preference. I don't know.

If the HD800S is a very good LCD screen, the ADX5000 and HE1000SE are OLED displays.

The HD800S is still great, and on some tracks you can get the "wow" feeling.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #7,661 of 8,790
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #7,662 of 8,790
Also when judging headphones and comparison, the tracklist we use to judge them is also very important. Ive listened the susvaras, he1kv2, adx5000 as well.....none beat the others in everything. Some tracks are just better on some headphones.

For EDM and R&B, i cant see anyone loving the hd800s as the best headphone for example.

In this hobby, preference curve is very important. With the Hd800s i usually listen to superbly mastered tracks to enjoy the most of it. I also uses EQ (not to harman) to fix some weakness of it and add some versatility, and its now my fav headphone amongst all. And with a well synergised back end to support....Hd800s creates a soundscape that is special and cannot be replicated on other headphones.

I still need to listen to the he1000se and d8000 pro some day.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #7,663 of 8,790
Which of them has the best bass, ADX5000 or 800s?
ADX5000's has the better bass response out the box. I boost the bass on my set via my RME ADI-2 and Lokius to meet my preferences. I still like the HD800S's clarity. It's sharper and a bit more focused than on the ADX5000's. For everything else I prefer the ADX5000's.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #7,664 of 8,790
In this hobby, preference curve is very important. With the Hd800s i usually listen to superbly mastered tracks to enjoy the most of it. I also uses EQ (not to harman) to fix some weakness of it and add some versatility, and its now my fav headphone amongst all. And with a well synergised back end to support....Hd800s creates a soundscape that is special and cannot be replicated on other headphones.

I still need to listen to the he1000se and d8000 pro some day.
You are absolutely correct. User preference and component synergy are also equally important. I have no problem using EQ to tweak the sound. I don't follow the harmon curve- either as I try to maintain the unique sound of each headphone when I do apply EQ to my headphones.

I have the headphones you want to tryout and some others. The HEKse's and D8K Pro's are two of my favorite headphone that I own. I rank the D8K Pro's just behind the Solitaire P's as the best headphones I have heard. This includes AB-1266 TC and Susvara's both of which I've owned and sold.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #7,665 of 8,790
The HD800S is still great, and on some tracks you can get the "wow" feeling.

Maybe you can get the "wow" feeling with this track if your HD800S is on a good source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back