Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #7,471 of 8,820
I wish there were a decent pair of leather earpads for HD800 / S.
The stock pads are great except foam gets dirty and you can never get it completely clean again.
Dekoni pads are 3x as thick as stock ones which ruins the soundstage.
Generic Chinese "hybrid pleather & sheepskin" earpads are the right thickness but they are designed to rip apart within a few months, and the paint literally comes off onto your face with a little sweat.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #7,472 of 8,820
...I was surprised by the sound when played from an amp with good synergy for supporting its lows).
Exactly! A good amp pairing is essential for these to truly shine. It's no accident they were considered TOTL (and still are in my book!) Really enjoying them out of tube amps!

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #7,474 of 8,820
I don't understand why Sennheiser has been back ordered for so long on replacement pads. Anyone know why or if there is a resolution date in sight?
Some info (but not the direct answer) in the comments section https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/vlrqla/hd800s_replacement_pads/
Message from June 27 '22:
HD 800 pads have been out of stock for over a year now. Sennheiser claims it's because they closed all German production plants and are moving to Ireland, and once that is done, they will be back in stock but at this point I highly doubt we will ever see any HD 800 spare parts being sold again.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #7,475 of 8,820
I'm looking for a DAC for the HD800S. Do you have suggestions? Max 2000€. I have unfortunately NO IDEA what to try.

What about the Chord Hugo 2 or Copland DAC 215?
I don’t know about ghe Copland but my choice could be, without listening, be the Chord!
I’ve heard them with a Dave and it was like heaven. This combo was the reason I went for the Qutest. Now I need to save my coins for the Dave.
Good luck.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #7,476 of 8,820
Anyone heard the

FELIKS AUDIO EUFORIA 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION​

With HD800S? How's the synergy? Compared to other tube amps?

Or Woo audio WA2 or WA22

Feel free to name drop tubeamp recommendations.

Bought the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos SS amp and it does not pair well imo. To bright and dry and lacks bass imo.
A bit late maybe but this is my combo. I love it. Still no reason to upgrade the tubes. There is a lot of detail, soundstage and also ‘silence’ in the music.
For me there was a very big difference between the normal and the SE Euforia.
Good luck!

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #7,477 of 8,820
......... I prefer velour or microsuede to the touch, but I’m curious… what pads do you have which are sheepskin AND pleather?
I wish there were a decent pair of leather earpads for HD800 / S.
Generic Chinese "hybrid pleather & sheepskin" earpads are the right thickness but they are designed to rip apart within a few months, and the paint literally comes off onto your face with a little sweat.

I've been using the sheepskin almost daily since June 2019, so 3 years...and except for the whisker rash on the pleather sides the sheepskin has held up very well, same for the padding.
https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-Sennheiser-HD800-HD800S-Sheepskin/dp/B07MXB8XKQ

June 2019
IMG_5524.jpg

3 years later
pleather leather.jpg
Have recently ordered another pair for less than 1/2 $ and will report back to see if they are the same.

Went through 2 or 3 pairs of the microsuede since 2016 but those disintegrate leaving black specs everywhere and in my ear... and the foam flattens. : ( ... as I actually prefer the overall sound with the sheepskin I'll continue to weather the leather/pleather : )
HD800 pads.JPG
Pads 2.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #7,478 of 8,820
The stock pads are great except foam gets dirty and you can never get it completely clean again.
I use electrical tape on my pads to great effect.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #7,480 of 8,820
Yes, they were launched 2009

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #7,481 of 8,820
If someone never heard the HD800S , he really missed something .
A great Headphone .
And with a little EQ , the HD overcomes almost all limits :sweat_smile:
It is also sufficient space between Ears and drivers , at least with me .

DB803796-7D67-4CA3-B9B4-E28838009DDA.jpeg

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #7,485 of 8,820
I have never listened to these headphones, but to me the pads looks very shallow, is it enough space for the ears to not touching the drivers on these?
The cups are very deep and also angled, you'd need exeptionally large ears for this headphone to not fit.

But since so many people are asking this, I've measured it. It's 2.5 cm deep at the middle, at the top part (where your ears are usually a bit wider) it's rather 2,8 cm since it's angled. Ask your girlfriend (or mommy) to measure your ears. :wink: My ears are quite wide, about 2,2-2,4 cm wide each (depends on which part), and they don't touch. Even if they touch a bit, you adjust the headphone a bit, and they won't touch then. The best way is to try it at a shop, but if your ears measure 2 cm at the widest, then it's safe to say they won't bother your ears.

Next time show this picture to anybody who has the same question.

IMG-0884.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back