Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #7,457 of 8,774
Hey there, I couldn't find a thread for Hd820, so I'm posting it here. How much of an upgrade is Hd800s to Hd820? I'm very happy with Hd800s, but when it comes to bass response, it has more to be desired
The HD820 wasn't an upgrade to the HD800S, it was to be a closed back TOTL headphone. From all the reviews I have read it seems as though what you might gain in bass you will lose everywhere else, but then again it's your choice. Just don't think you are getting an HD800S with more bass. Then if you really do need that then maybe consider eq?

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #7,458 of 8,774
so I have an opportunity to buy a secondhand 800s.

My concern is mostly related to it's comfort.

- The Sennheiser pads does not deep enough.
- The dekoni pads doesn't seemed deep enough.

(maybe it's just me but I equate having deep pads to comfortable (because my ears are not getting squished in there).

Thoughts?-+

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #7,460 of 8,774

(maybe it's just me but I equate having deep pads to comfortable (because my ears are not getting squished in there).

Thoughts?-+
Imo the HD800S is the most comfortable high-end headphone available! This is mainly due to the lightweight construction (which doesn't feel cheap at all).

You won't get the two-pillows-on-your-ears feeling the Empyreans provide but who cares as you'll hardly notice them at all (unless you are really sensitive to any weight on your head).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #7,461 of 8,774

Thoughts?-+
This together with the Arya are the only headphones that I can use in summer.
The HD800 is super comfortable and roomy around the ear so air can freely circulate.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #7,462 of 8,774

Thoughts?-+
I have big ears, and my ears don't touch anything. They have huge cups.

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #7,465 of 8,774
Totally recommend tt 1 used from chord if you can find one

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #7,467 of 8,774
Not about how wide it but how deep are the cups/pads
There deep enough for most ears, course I’m sure if they, one’s ears, phalange out enough…. But really

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #7,468 of 8,774
There deep enough for most ears, course I’m sure if they, one’s ears, phalange out enough…. But really
Elves and possibly half-elves might have issues..

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #7,469 of 8,774
Sadly # 3 has bitten the dust..gummy and cracked again, that is 3 Sennheiser balanced cables in 6 years. : ( Never experienced that with any other cable… ever!
1E6CBE28-81C4-46D2-BBB9-C2A484974499.jpeg
The oil from my skin myst be caustic with whatever rubber they use with HD800…unfortunately it’s a commonly reported issue…so not just me.
I’ve contacted Sennheiser once more but will be going 3rd party regardless.

Looking at this one, bit heavy looking though for 3m.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1032327667/cable-for-sennheiser-hd8xxhd800hd820?click_key=28640d4757c958ff352a3c0b25f40ef4d12dfb12:1032327667&click_sum=6e79a558&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hd800+cable&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&variation0=2052946770&variation1=2052946696
4B085A9D-9075-43F3-B209-97C728325ED5.jpeg
I still have the stock cable on my HD 8XX, but I have a silver Wireworld top of the line cable (discontinued) and a copper DanaCable Lazuli, and I really like those. The lazuli is a bit squeezable, as if the sheathing was partially hollow (or something easily compressed, like cotton), but I don’t know what is inside and it was the first cable that helped me hear a difference from cables. The price is not for the faint of heart though 😅

My stock cables are fine, but it’s far past time that I get fresh ear and headband pads. I prefer velour or microsuede to the touch, but I’m curious… what pads do you have which are sheepskin AND pleather?

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #7,470 of 8,774

Thoughts?-+
Have you come to that conclusion after testing?

the reason most people say the HD800S has lots (or even cavernous) room for ears is because the depth is built into the earcups, so the pads don’t have to be thick. it’s sort of the opposite philosophy to Audeze’s LCD series, where the driver is mounted flat very close to the mounting point for their very thick pads, whereas the HD 800S’ driver is mounted at an angle and suspended back at a distance. I find the latter better able to maintain a specific driver distance over long listening sessions, because pads (particularly soft plush pads) compress as they warm up and break down over time to have less loft.

While I am still rocking the stock pads on my HD 8XX, I did replace my HD 800’s stock pads with Dekoni elite velour. I prefer the feeling of velour, but I think the majority of users would most like the sound of the elite fenestrated sheepskin, but regardless of what wrap you choose the Dekoni memory foam is at least twice as thick as the stock Sennheiser pads (which does make the sound a bit more distant, but I got used to it quickly), and their loft seems to hold up better over the years than the normal memory foam in Sennheiser’s stock HD 650 pads. The dekoni pads squish a little when you wear them, but still end up with a thicker depth than stock, and return to original shape between uses.

I rate the comfort of the HD 800S very high… personally it’s my most comfortable headphone, which was a major purchase factor for me (plus I love the speaker like soundstage, and I was surprised by the sound when played from an amp with good synergy for supporting its lows).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back