Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 27, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #6,946 of 8,761
Tyll is an honest man, and offered a spectacular service to the headphone community.

What he said about the HD600, HD800s, K812 and many other headphones are all solid opinions, and his theories are also of sound mind and reasoning.

There is definitely more harmonic distortion on the 800s, and it makes it a more “pleasing” “musical” sounding headphone than the OG 800, for many, except those who power the OG800 with a very harmonic tube amp lol

What many layman don’t understand is that NATURE is chock full of 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion…. So when we see a live concert, listen to speakers in any room which isn’t fully treated, or jam/practice with a band in any untreated space, that space is perpetually loaded with infinitely more 2nd & 3rd order harmonic distortion, than any incomplete acoustic design in headphones could ever generate.

So while there is VALUE to certain professionals to use tools with as close to zero harmonic distortion as possible (other than what we add deliberately with devices like Empirical Labs Full Analogue Tape Saturation Optimzer, etc)

There is also extreme VALUE to hobbyists looking for the most “pleasant”, “musical”, “natural”, “soulful”, “full” sound signature, so much that many use TUBE amps, which by their very nature add significant amounts of 2nd and 3rd order Harmonic distortion to whatever music signal they process.

It’s shocking to see some who spends thousands of dollars on tube amps and then speak negatively on harmonic distortion.

Harmonic distortion is exactly what they’re spending money on to avoid “clinical” “dry” “soulless” “unnatural” sound.

I blame the use of the word “distortion” in describing the harmonics. Since the very word “distortion” in lay vernacular has a connotation totally different than “harmony” lol
Didn't, uh, "other sites" measure an HD800S and didn't find any extra second order harmonic distortion? Did I make that up?

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #6,947 of 8,761
Been happy with the sound today on my listening session with HD 800S driven from hugo 2 fed from spdif out from my CXNv2 streamer. It doesent need much more amplification to sound great. Been listening on not to loud levels either.
Some albums ive listened to. My musical journey ranges from most genres.

Tiranno- Kate Lindsey
Laura Mvula - Pink Noise
Moose allison - the complete atlantic/elektra.
Isabelle faust - Mozart sonatas for fortepiano and violin.

Of coure i understand more powerfull amps can be better also. Speaker amps was mentioned. Flux Volot seems to have insides built like an speaker amp but with HP connections so that one is intersting imo.

Now time for binge whatching tv series the HD800S does that jobb to providing the audio.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #6,948 of 8,761
Tyll is an honest man, and offered a spectacular service to the headphone community.

What he said about the HD600, HD800s, K812 and many other headphones are all solid opinions, and his theories are also of sound mind and reasoning.

There is definitely more harmonic distortion on the 800s, and it makes it a more “pleasing” “musical” sounding headphone than the OG 800, for many, except those who power the OG800 with a very harmonic tube amp lol

What many layman don’t understand is that NATURE is chock full of 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion…. So when we see a live concert, listen to speakers in any room which isn’t fully treated, or jam/practice with a band in any untreated space, that space is perpetually loaded with infinitely more 2nd & 3rd order harmonic distortion, than any incomplete acoustic design in headphones could ever generate.

So while there is VALUE to certain professionals to use tools with as close to zero harmonic distortion as possible (other than what we add deliberately with devices like Empirical Labs Full Analogue Tape Saturation Optimzer, etc)

There is also extreme VALUE to hobbyists looking for the most “pleasant”, “musical”, “natural”, “soulful”, “full” sound signature, so much that many use TUBE amps, which by their very nature add significant amounts of 2nd and 3rd order Harmonic distortion to whatever music signal they process.

It’s shocking to see some who spends thousands of dollars on tube amps and then speak negatively on harmonic distortion.

Harmonic distortion is exactly what they’re spending money on to avoid “clinical” “dry” “soulless” “unnatural” sound.

I blame the use of the word “distortion” in describing the harmonics. Since the very word “distortion” in lay vernacular has a connotation totally different than “harmony” lol
I was an OG fan of Tyll since he sold Headroom and started InnerFidelity - even when many in the community didn't like him and his ways back in the days. He's a good guy in my book and I like how he has basically become legendary now... people heap praise on him and he's become Master Yoda who has transcended into Jedi Head-Fi Heaven :joy: people speak of his reviews like holy scripture transcribed by Moses ROFL (it was not like that at the time when he was active)

I hope he's doing well somewhere driving around in "Putt" - I'm looking forward to the day that he comes out of retirement and returns to the community. Somehow he's built more cachet by being away than when he was actually around. If he never comes back he will just become "the man the legend the myth" forever

But yeah my message to those who want to experience the HD800S but worried about harmonic distortion... don't worry about it's all good :wink: (but do consider the LCD-X 2021, and Denon D9200 as those are great too - or just buy all three like me)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #6,949 of 8,761
What is the warmest chain you put in front of HD800S? And how did it turn out ?

Bifrost 2 --> Lokius --> Lyr 3 (with treasure globe)

Don't see myself upgrading the path anytime soon... Love this combination

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #6,950 of 8,761
What is the warmest chain you put in front of HD800S? And how did it turn out ?
My 2 favorite pairings for the HD800S are as follows:

Desktop: Tidal > Bluesound Node 2i > Chord Hugo M Scaler > Chord Hugo TT2 > Amps and Sound Rockwell (100 ohm tap) > HD800S.

This is a mind blow sound turning the HD800S into an all arounder. It maintains its high resolution and sound stage, tube enhanced mids and full and detailed bass response. I did not expect this to happen when I bought this AMP. I am a bass head.

Mobile/transportable: DX300 + AMP12 + C9 (class A, tube mode) > HD800S. Also great bass response and all around sound.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #6,952 of 8,761
Speaking of transportable, I can confirm the HD800S runs absolutely splendidly from the FiiO M17 in balanced mode. Oodles of headroom and very impressive dynamics with a taut low end. Highly recommend a listen.
Another vote of confidence for the M17. This product seems to be upping the reputation of FIIO in bringing a great TOTL product to market.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #6,953 of 8,761
Another vote of confidence for the M17. This product seems to be upping the reputation of FIIO in bringing a great TOTL product to market.
I'm impressed, I will say. It's been years since I had a Fiio product. Last one was X5, I think, so I definitely haven't followed their developments. But considering what the M17 is capable of, I think it's fantastic value for money in addition to sounding top notch.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #6,954 of 8,761
I'm impressed, I will say. It's been years since I had a Fiio product. Last one was X5, I think, so I definitely haven't followed their developments. But considering what the M17 is capable of, I think it's fantastic value for money in addition to sounding top notch.
I want to hear it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #6,956 of 8,761
Bifrost 2 --> Lokius --> Lyr 3 (with treasure globe)

Don't see myself upgrading the path anytime soon... Love this combination
I’m using Yggy —> Lyr 3 with a Tung-Sol 6F8G black glass square plate. I’ve also tried an old Sophia 6SN7. The TS 6F8G are my favorites in my WA22 but not sure about them with the Lyr 3. Maybe I’ll try a treasur globe. Would appreciate thoughts.

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #6,957 of 8,761
I'm interested in thoughts, as I'm really considering the HD800S. I used to own the HD800 years ago, prior to my current DAC/amp set up, and really liked the imaging and soundstage (especially the soundstage!) but didn't get along well with the lack of low-end and very present high-end frequencies. My understanding is that HD800S may be the answer to these topics of concern for me.

My set up is RME ADI1 DAC into the Bottlehead Crack w/NOS tubes. I'm very comfortable with using EQ as needed, so I'm thinking the HD800S might be a good option for me? My current only other headphone is the ZMF Auteur and I listen to mostly rock and progressive rock.

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #6,958 of 8,761
I'm very comfortable with using EQ as needed, so I'm thinking the HD800S might be a good option for me?
If you EQ then HD800 may be a good option as well (and cheaper). But still both headphones have not very punchy bass representation.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #6,959 of 8,761
If you EQ then HD800 may be a good option as well (and cheaper). But still both headphones have not very punchy bass representation.
Thank you- There's an HD800S set locally for sale at a very good price. So even with EQ, the HD800S will be lacking in the low-end? I've gotten pretty used to the fullness of my ZMF Auteur, so curious if I'll have instant disappointment with the loss of low-end representation in the HD800S.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #6,960 of 8,761
Thank you- There's an HD800S set locally for sale at a very good price. So even with EQ, the HD800S will be lacking in the low-end? I've gotten pretty used to the fullness of my ZMF Auteur, so curious if I'll have instant disappointment with the loss of low-end representation in the HD800S.
Nope it wont lack with eq as long as you have nice amp. I have to say there isnt many headphones that have such a great presentation as HD800S with eq. Problem happens when you cant eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back