Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #6,376 of 8,792
Diminishing returns or do you notice a noticable upgrade?
Think of it as this just to simplify, the 800 would be like listening in a larger more expansive theatre with excellent acoustics and the 660 as if everything thing was moved into a smaller, more damped venue. Technically the HD800/S is a superior phone but doesn't work convincingly for all music and recordings, sometimes one can have too much of a good thing but I find they compliment each other without completely changing the house sound.
For example I find my older Jethro Tull or 70/80's rock genre are better served by the 660, which IMHO work with basically everything.
They’re completely different headphones, hd800s being “better”. So, i don’t think diminishing returns is this.
Ditto. : )

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #6,377 of 8,792
I’ve owned Susvara, HD800S, and the TC. On my rig (430HAD, 780D DAC), HD800S won hands down: a vastly more musical and enjoyable listen to my ears. There were certainly technical improvements evident in both the other headphones but they did not amount to a more impressive overall sound and, in fact, ruined the music for me, making it more sterile at normal volumes and resulting in a serious reduction in the quality of microdynamics.

My guess is the amp just wasn’t a good match for TC or Susvara.

According to the specs the 430HA puts out a massive 8 watts into 50 ohms, so it seems to me to be unlikely the problem you had was the amplifier. I had the TC along with the HD800S and had the same reaction, using a lowly Woo Audio WA-6SE (1.7 watts into 40 ohms), so I think our observations have at least some chance of being reflective of the truth about the two 'phones.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #6,378 of 8,792
According to the specs the 430HA puts out a massive 8 watts into 50 ohms, so it seems to me to be unlikely the problem you had was the amplifier. I had the TC along with the HD800S and had the same reaction, using a lowly Woo Audio WA-6SE (1.7 watts into 40 ohms), so I think our observations have at least some chance of being reflective of the truth about the two 'phones.

The amp has no problem producing pure volume in any of the headphones but it for some reason couldn’t produce properly present microdynamics in the Susvara (which I had to turn right up to eat splitting levels for a decent listen) and made the TC sound like daggers.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #6,380 of 8,792
Just wanted to comment how amazingly sensitive these are to different DAC/amp sources.

And am rather grateful A2A pointed me towards the WA11 Topaz as an appropriate pairing with a small footprint. The warm tonality actually changes the signature I would expect out of the HD800s remarkably.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #6,381 of 8,792
Just wanted to comment how amazingly sensitive these are to different DAC/amp sources.

And am rather grateful A2A pointed me towards the WA11 Topaz as an appropriate pairing with a small footprint. The warm tonality actually changes the signature I would expect out of the HD800s remarkably.
I've found them a joy to listen to with the iFi Diablo myself. Especially with the 7.0C firmware that has GTO filter on it...

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #6,382 of 8,792
Tempted to get the Diablo as a comparison but it’s been out of stock in many places. Heard good things!

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,383 of 8,792
The HD800s is my favorite headphone so far. What headphone is the 2nd best in terms of sound stage that you guys have tried?

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #6,384 of 8,792
'Best' is a misnomer. Do mean width (the HD800s is very wide) ; holographic ; depth ; placement?

Others are probably better placed.

Quick poll:
Do people prefer to run the 800S in high or low gain on their amp? I have a WA11 and I actually prefer high gain unless I'm planned for a relaxed, laid back session.
*edit -> I've changed my mind ; and prefer low gain. High gain introduced too much noise/distortion that the HD800s is rather sensitive to. There was tighter slam, control and attack, as well as increased forward presentation of mids and vocals. But the trade off was not worth it*

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #6,385 of 8,792
Medium gain for myself

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #6,386 of 8,792
I always run mine on low gain

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #6,390 of 8,792
Hi gain on BHA-1. My understanding is that high gain settings have higher output impedance emphasizing the mid bass a little more (which the HD800 is agreeable to) compared to low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back