Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #6,211 of 8,774
These are a great option: Premium Hybrid Sheepskin and High-Grade Protein PU Replacement Ear Pads Compatible with Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S Headphones. Sheepskin Leather | High-Grade Protein | Great Comfort and Durability https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXB8XKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_wVa5FbNFP1Y00?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I agree, but their depth alters the soundstage width; i went back to a new pair of stock pads for this reason

They create a better seal so there's more perceived bottom-end. Very, very comfy. They are reasonably priced so could be worth a try to see what you prefer

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6,213 of 8,774
I hope forever. Mine since hd800S launch what’s that 5 years now?

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,217 of 8,774
Hi. I’ll much appreciate if anyone can send me or post here a pic of the bottom side of the box of a recently purchased 800S (it must be a recent 800S box type) where the barcode and serial number are located (of course feel free to erase or not show the serial number if you want).
Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Dec 27, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,218 of 8,774
A tiny little bit of black paint has exposed the silver plastic underneath on the frame of my otherwise perfect condition HD800S. Any ideas of how I could touch it up?

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #6,219 of 8,774
A tiny little bit of black paint has exposed the silver plastic underneath on the frame of my otherwise perfect condition HD800S. Any ideas of how I could touch it up?

Hope you have had your HD800S bit longer than I have. Mine is only about 2 Months old and already have paint chipped and a few other scuffs marks, including a small ding on the silver metal mesh thing. First few nights I lost some sleep feeling guilt about it, but now I have learnt to just accept it for its imperfections.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #6,222 of 8,774
I used to have the Focal Elear which went dead on 1 side due to a faulty coil and gave up totally on Focal for their crappy after sale support. Was in a dilemma between the 800S and the Ananda and ended up pulling the trigger on the Ananda which I should say it’s amazing.
The HD800S is still on my radar, any experience owning both cans and if it make sense to get the 800S or go dark like the LCD X ?

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #6,223 of 8,774
any experience owning both cans and if it make sense to get the 800S or go dark like the LCD X ?
Here's an experience of mine such as we don't often hear about - manufacturer support of their customer. You already mention Focal's support.

I have Audeze LCD-3. The build quality is appalling, with about 5 defects - some serious, some minor, some before warranty expiration, some afterwards. My hifi retailer was feckless and impotent, and did nothing. Audeze solved two of the problems, but just quoted legalistic jargon at me regarding the others. My LCD-3s still work very well, but are unsaleable.

Sennheiser on the other hand - a manufacturing defect with one of my HD800s cables which has come to light years after the warranty expired. Senn. are sending a new cable. No corporate time-wasting, no infuriating web site, no beaurocracy, just sensible humans on the other end of emails. Refreshing! (And, as everyone else will tell you, the headphones sound fantastic (for me). And are very light and comfortable.)

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #6,224 of 8,774
Very encouraging as I had a similar positive experience with Beyerdynamic, one more reason to consider the 800S but just wanted to know if it’s a far cry from the Ananda.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,225 of 8,774
OMG. I just loaded Equalizer APO with the Peace interface and set up the parametric equalizer to the Oratory 1990 presets and added a subbass boost of 15db at 50hz and my Sennheiser HD 800S are wonderful for Pop music and R&B like never before. I am doing this with my Windows 10 laptop and Chord Mojo. I can't wait until I try it with my new Hiby R6 2020 and Chord Hugo 2.

The Sennheiser HD800S went from being the worst to the best headphones I've ever heard in the matter of 6 months. I was concerned about using EQ to fix sound signature problems. But, the various target curves and parametric presets make it possible for anyone to be a decent headphone tuner.

I forgot to mention, I used what I've learned about IEM tuning of the Blessing 2 Dusk and the Thieaudio Monarch to create a bass shelf so that the increased bass and subbass don't bleed into the mids. I literally feel like discovered fire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back