Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,337 of 8,828
I didn't try it on 800s but the elite hybrid one has positive impact on my 600. More comfortable, asthtically better and has some bump in bass with same mid range and treble as stock.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #4,338 of 8,828
so many feedbacks some say good some say bad.
I guess for the HD800s the stock is the best.
should I replace the cable ? those kind of cables are not cheap at all and I would want to change only if it really change the sound for the better. I am using the normal 5.35 connector with SXFI Amp

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,339 of 8,828
so many feedbacks some say good some say bad.
I guess for the HD800s the stock is the best.
should I replace the cable ? those kind of cables are not cheap at all and I would want to change only if it really change the sound for the better. I am using the normal 5.35 connector with SXFI Amp
I personally don't believe that cables can make a difference, but even those who do and are not given to exaggeration only claim that the differences are very subtle so I would really be careful about making a cable purchase if the expectation is that you will hear a clear difference. I loved the HD800S myself and gave it a gentle bump up in the sub and lower bass via equalization. Miss having that headphone, so much to like about it.

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,340 of 8,828
Ear pads do have an impact on sound signature. for some it may be positive change and for some it may not be great.
I guess we have identify what change do we want in the headphone and then we should go about it. For e.g. for 600, I wanted some bump in Bass with more or less same Midrange and Treble and as per Dekoni's FR graph elite Hybrid fit my requirement.
I guess wires may have some impact in sound signature, may not be as big as EarPads but little subtle. I haven't changed any cable for my 800s but changed it for my Z1R with Kimber cabe. General rule of thumb is to go with copper one for bright headphone and silver one for Dark headphone.

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,341 of 8,828
I personally don't believe that cables can make a difference, but even those who do and are not given to exaggeration only claim that the differences are very subtle so I would really be careful about making a cable purchase if the expectation is that you will hear a clear difference. I loved the HD800S myself and gave it a gentle bump up in the sub and lower bass via equalization. Miss having that headphone, so much to like about it.
I feel the same. Instead of investing on expensive cables, which has subtle change, we can try to get some good DSP like DMG Equilibrium or Roon and play around with it. If we have to make profound change in sound signature.

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,342 of 8,828
Ear pads do have an impact on sound signature. for some it may be positive change and for some it may not be great.
I guess we have identify what change do we want in the headphone and then we should go about it. For e.g. for 600, I wanted some bump in Bass with more or less same Midrange and Treble and as per Dekoni's FR graph elite Hybrid fit my requirement.
I guess wires may have some impact in sound signature, may not be as big as EarPads but little subtle. I haven't changed any cable for my 800s but changed it for my Z1R with Kimber cabe. General rule of thumb is to go with copper one for bright headphone and silver one for Dark headphone.

Using Dekoni elite sheep with my 800S, they sound much better than the stock pads, listening to Chord mscaler & TT2.

I jump back n forth between stock and the dekoni’s, and each time I do it, it’s like listening to them for the first time, dependent on the hardware used.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,343 of 8,828
Cabletransfer is not perfect by any means. It transfer current and thicker wires can transfer bigger more solid sound. Had 1 aftermarket cable for HD800S and then had talk with a cable maker. I said is sound clear, wide just lacking bass. He said compromises were made, because 1 owner asked cable for cheap price so he used thin wires. Why there is a myth that silver cables sound thin, lacking bass... Is this true or it is because Makers want to use little silver to get big profit out this. For me with HD800S its ez to hear cable differences.

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #4,346 of 8,828
Well after 10 years of using solely the D7000s by Denon I have added the HD800S to my collection. Back then I was was comparing the D7000s and the HD800s but I just couldn't afford the 800s. Now I have to wait another month or so till my birthday to open them. I waited 10 years whats another 30 days.

As for why I chose the 800S. These were the only headphone that caught my attention from all the ones I demoed. I tried all kinds of headphones from the elear to LCD4 and these were just something special. Can't wait.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,347 of 8,828
Well after 10 years of using solely the D7000s by Denon I have added the HD800S to my collection. Back then I was was comparing the D7000s and the HD800s but I just couldn't afford the 800s. Now I have to wait another month or so till my birthday to open them. I waited 10 years whats another 30 days.

As for why I chose the 800S. These were the only headphone that caught my attention from all the ones I demoed. I tried all kinds of headphones from the elear to LCD4 and these were just something special. Can't wait.
The 800S is indeed a special headphone. I am biased of course, but I think that you made a great choice. For me with a little bump up in the sub and low bass the 800S was a pure joy with either tubes or solid state. Enjoy.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #4,348 of 8,828
The 800S has been wonderful for me from day 1. I've tried many other cans in similar price range and have come to the realization that while there are different flavours, none of them seem to be a clear upgrade.
When you factor in reliability, I just get scarred looking at anything else in the 1000+ price range.
I haven't tried headphones in the next pricing tier like the Abyss, Empyrean, LCD4s, Susvara, Utopia, etc.
For those who have tried the above, are any of these a clear upgrade to the 800S or are most people waiting for the next Sennheiser hoping that will be a clear cut upgrade to 800S?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,349 of 8,828
The 800S has been a wonderful for me from day 1. I've tried many other cans in similar price range and have come to the realization that while there are different flavours, none of them seem to be a clear upgrade.
I haven't tried headphones in the next pricing tier like the Abyss, Empyrean, LCD4s, Susvara, Utopia, etc.
For those who have tried the above, are any of these a clear upgrade to the 800S or are most people waiting for the next Sennheiser hoping that will be a clear cut upgrade to 800S?

Cheers,
Unfair question. I’ll parse that with I don’t know all of the above. But if one has a bass canon hp and hd800S it’s tough except ultimate discretionary budget, to find a better can. I compared susvara while it is awesome and not like hd800S, it wasn’t as lively, snappy, with full sound stage. In the end I couldn’t justify my desk space. I’m now in the I’ll wait for senn but abyss Diana phi might move the needle enough, but I have not tried.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #4,350 of 8,828

Which Dekoni pad would u recommend for added low end & warmth for HD800S? Elite hybrid as well? Guess a copper cable would help too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back