Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,231 of 8,689
This is what I got last year. Did not even look at the frequency response for the first 6 months since it sounded good to me.

3UxIPUK.png

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,233 of 8,689
Anyone got a good EQ for this guys? specifically one thats easy to transfer and or copy into Roon?

I think the beauty of the HD800S is that it doesn't need EQ in general. You could EQ to suit your personal preferences/hearing or particular albums/tracks, but other people's EQ settings may not be of much use for that.

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,234 of 8,689
I think the beauty of the HD800S is that it doesn't need EQ in general. You could EQ to suit your personal preferences/hearing or particular albums/tracks, but other people's EQ settings may not be of much use for that.
Thats a totally reasonable way to look at it. But wiht that said, i was a fan of the SonarWorks EQ preset, and id like to hear it on my streamer rig that doesn't include windows 10

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #4,235 of 8,689
Thats a totally reasonable way to look at it. But wiht that said, i was a fan of the SonarWorks EQ preset, and id like to hear it on my streamer rig that doesn't include windows 10
I tried sonar work eq for Hd800s- but I didn’t really hear any difference. Just did a quick test.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #4,236 of 8,689
Agree. The 800S is so pure. Everyone's ears are different and we hear differently. I am 66 and do not hear the same way I heard at 20 (not saying that I remember that far back, but you get the idea).

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,237 of 8,689
I tried sonar work eq for Hd800s- but I didn’t really hear any difference. Just did a quick test.

Interesting how YMMV in these matters.
I tried the Sonarworks preset for the 800S and I found it made a big difference , sadly not one I liked as I found it sucked out the lower mids so Cellos for example would lose presence and weight.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,238 of 8,689
Interesting how YMMV in these matters.
I tried the Sonarworks preset for the 800S and I found it made a big difference , sadly not one I liked as I found it sucked out the lower mids so Cellos for example would lose presence and weight.

No doubt EQ can make a big difference. I think the point is that, for the typical listener who listens to a variety of recordings, the HD800S was designed to sound best overall with no EQ. That doesn't preclude individuals changing the tonality with EQ to suit their preferences, ears, and music they listen to. I've increasingly gotten to know the personalities of my headphones, so if I'm listening to one and think another will sound better, I switch and usually find that it does sound better. So my solution is to switch headphones rather than mess with EQ.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #4,239 of 8,689
Having survived the EQ craze of the 80's, I have little interest in reliving it. My problem back than was instead of just using EQ for the equipment, I often changed the settings from one song to the next resulting in a chronic state of confusion. I lost an entire decade of my life not knowing how many recordings actually sounded.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #4,240 of 8,689
ahh the 80's good times, everyone hated mids and you eq them out of existence and pumped the super low and high up.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,241 of 8,689
Does anyone know of a decent third party cable for the 800S ?

I don’t like the twist in the stock cables and the rubber has already split on one cable, does anyone know of a cable that doesn’t have the twist like the stock one ?

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #4,244 of 8,689
Having survived the EQ craze of the 80's, I have little interest in reliving it. My problem back than was instead of just using EQ for the equipment, I often changed the settings from one song to the next resulting in a chronic state of confusion. I lost an entire decade of my life not knowing how many recordings actually sounded.

Exactly … having EQ available just gives more stuff to fiddle with endlessly, which can be a distraction from just enjoying the music. I'd be ok with having simple bass and treble knobs, but seems to be a rarity these days.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #4,245 of 8,689
People Talk only good things about Norne cables. shoud be great match with HD800S.

I will have a look and see what up’s, do they have the standard audiophile price tag ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back