Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #3,181 of 8,764
You may have meant to say HD800S in last sentence. This better layer and separation you describe really unravels otherwise obscure musical details. Details in the musical structure. Not so much details like the breath of a singer which the HD800 already had in spades, but details of the composition and masterful interweaving of musical lines. This better separation perhaps paradoxically on many recordings makes the musical lines more cohesive.

Yes, sorry, I meant HD800S.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #3,182 of 8,764
A classical Haydn symphony, to be precise. Better soundstage, better layering, better separation
This is one of the very first things I noticed in the hd800S too, compared to the hd800. :)

Apr 3, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #3,184 of 8,764
strangely that not much of upgrades Cables talk in 800S at all ?
Cables are always a factor , imo, but it’s refreshing to see not a constant get this or that, cause premier cables can have an effect on premier hp of any manufacturer so the debate becomes a little irrelevant.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,187 of 8,764
Have you guys benefited from upgrading your DAC? As a novice and new owner of the HD800 S, I'm afraid that my old Arcam rPac (used only as a DAC) might restrain it in some way.

DAC is important, but amping it correctly is a bit more important, in general. In the end, everything is equally important ... lol

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,188 of 8,764
DAC is important, but amping it correctly is a bit more important, in general. In the end, everything is equally important ... lol

Yeah, so I have the beyerdynamic A2 amp, which I realize is not an ideal match. But I think it's compentent enough despite sounding a bit thin - especially in the mid-range. The question I guess is whether to save up for a better amp and keep the DAC, or buy a standalone DAC and keep the amp.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #3,189 of 8,764
Yeah, so I have the beyerdynamic A2 amp, which I realize is not an ideal match. But I think it's compentent enough despite sounding a bit thing - especially in the mid-range. The question I guess is whether to save up for a better amp and keep the DAC, or buy a standalone DAC and keep the amp.
I always prioritize the amp first and then DAC later, but that is just me

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #3,190 of 8,764
Yeah, so I have the beyerdynamic A2 amp, which I realize is not an ideal match. But I think it's compentent enough despite sounding a bit thin - especially in the mid-range. The question I guess is whether to save up for a better amp and keep the DAC, or buy a standalone DAC and keep the amp.

I think you would get better sound from your HD800S using a Schitt Vali 2 ($150.) HD800S prefer tube amps, even tube hybrids. If you could mention your budget it would help. Both that SS amp and budget DAC are holding your HD800S back. You made the right move getting the HD800S because they will sound better with every improvement you make in your amp and DAC.

My budget recommendation for HD800S is usually Vali 2 amp @ $149 and Modi 2 Multibit DAC @ $249. Next step up depends on your budget.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3,192 of 8,764
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #3,193 of 8,764
I think you would get better sound from your HD800S using a Schitt Vali 2 ($150.) HD800S prefer tube amps, even tube hybrids. If you could mention your budget it would help. Both that SS amp and budget DAC are holding your HD800S back. You made the right move getting the HD800S because they will sound better with every improvement you make in your amp and DAC.

My budget recommendation for HD800S is usually Vali 2 amp @ $149 and Modi 2 Multibit DAC @ $249. Next step up depends on your budget.
Its not Original HD800... i dont think it needs tubes at all, S model certainly dont need amp that will criple its technicalities which vali excatly will do. Just get clean, technical amp and analog sounding, but not muddy dac.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,195 of 8,764
Does anybody know the part number for HD800/S female connectors ? Or where to find them ? Thanks

I was able to find a few on eBay and Effect Audio has them on their site as well..

Edit: I guess you are asking for the female connectors on the headphone cups and not the ones on the cable. In that case, I am sorry, I haven't searched for it nor come across any.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back