Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,446 of 8,813
Trust me there is everything right about HD800S and pure OCC type 6 silver litz cable. Don't be scared of the transparency, proximity and size of stage that you will benefit from. I got me some 22 awg cryogenic copper JPS labs on my la900 while i don't mind id silver litz that bass cannon if i was doing it again as well.
I guess if you are trying to color the sound for what ever objective there is eq, Id just go for your preference and don't worry about trying to warm this up or sharpen that etc..

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #2,447 of 8,813
Also, a general rule is that the thicker the conductor, the more potential it is able to deliver more bass. However, not all system is able to take advantage of this thickness, probably due to limited power or not class A power, so a thicker cable can sound just as anemic as a thinner one.
CH 800 S, although looks thick on the outside, I read it was using some very thin 36awg wire (thinner than many IEM's cable)! There was also a photo of the cross section somewhere on the internet, showing the wire is indeed very thin. This should not come as a surprise because anyone who has experience in working with the 800 connector will notice how thin the opening is, making soldering pita.

I heard much detail with the cables as in below pic. It plaited from 3 hundreds of very thin occ hairs for each wire. Much detail than stock cable. I think thin core is better

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,449 of 8,813
Mishap or the actual cable cracked from drying out.... which is rather unusual? If the later contact Sennheiser and they most likely send you a new one.

Latter, it's on a headphone 'stand' (NZXT puck) when it's not in use. Nvr snagged.
Which customer support email do i contact? Intl or regional?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,450 of 8,813
This is the other side, yeah hh. I cracked per side. What luck. 20170818_005410_HDR.jpg

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2,453 of 8,813
Not that unusual. Same thing happen to mine months back. Normal room temperature, Never crushed it or dropped it. Rubber insulation just split. Many others experienced the same before me. Disappointing for an otherwise perfect set of cans.

Sennheiser replaced it but said they'll only do that once.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,455 of 8,813
Sep 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,456 of 8,813
Awesome, hope you have years of enjoyment from them. They are amazing cans!

Thanks! Definitely enjoying them so far. Surprisingly I find the bass ever so slightly wooly (compared to the HE560) but definitely a great pair of headphones.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,457 of 8,813
Thanks! Definitely enjoying them so far. Surprisingly I find the bass ever so slightly wooly (compared to the HE560) but definitely a great pair of headphones.
I have the 400i's and the HD800S's definitely does bass differently. With a good amp the HD800S's extend way further and plays a lot deeper than the 400i's. You probably need to give your ears some time to adjust from the planars in the HE560's to dynamic drivers in the HD800S's. They are two different animals :gs1000smile:.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,458 of 8,813
I have the 400i's and the HD800S's definitely does bass differently. With a good amp the HD800S's extend way further and plays a lot deeper than the 400i's. You probably need to give your ears some time to adjust from the planars in the HE560's to dynamic drivers in the HD800S's. They are two different animals :gs1000smile:.

Yeah, definitely different animals. The HD800S has deeper bass than the HE560 as well, the bass on the HE560 are definitely of better quality to my ears though. I'm very happy that they're so different, from reading i was expecting them to be more similar but I will definitely be keeping both. So far I find the HD800S to be more of a side grader than a upgrade to the HE560 but that's probably to be expected as well given that the HE560 is very very good for my preferences. Still early days though so time will tell which one I prefer. That being said I tend to enjoy different headphones for their different strengths so it's far from sure that I'll prefer one over the other and that's perfectly fine with me :wink:

Just for the record I find the HE560 to be quite different (and better) sounding in comparison to the HE400i (although I really like like them as well ha ha).

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,460 of 8,813
HD800S bass will improve with burn-in if my experience is a barometer.
Enjoy!!!

I've got a used pair so that seems unlikely (I'm also a non believer :wink:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back