Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,477 of 8,686
Both with or without calibration the 650 sound better. I do prefer calibrated flat across all my calibrated headphones to not.

Don't you think the 650 sounds muffled, dark, disorganized and messy compared to the resolution, clarity, spaciousness and airiness of the 800???

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #2,478 of 8,686
I've heard both and own the 800S. I prefer the Sennheisers. The Utopia's sound is too aggressive for me, too. And the narrow soundstage is a deal breaker. It's all preference at this price point. Technicalities mean nothing if the signature doesn't suit you. I'm also guessing the beryllium drivers add a little metallic sheen to the treble that could be what's bothering you.

It is not metalic sheen, the HD 800 S rolls off the treble too early. If you listen to classical music, you hear how the Utopia streches further than the HD 800 S.

And that is quite impressive since it has much better sub bass extension too without even trying to boost the mid bass like the HD 800 & HD 650 does to try extend the sub bass a bit further.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,479 of 8,686
It is not metalic sheen, the HD 800 S rolls off the treble too early. If you listen to classical music, you hear how the Utopia streches further than the HD 800 S.

And that is quite impressive since it has much better sub bass extension too without even trying to boost the mid bass like the HD 800 & HD 650 does to try extend the sub bass a bit further.

That's very debatable man. I know plenty of people who think even the 800S is too bright and would want less treble. In addition, I've read numerous head-fiers who complain of a metallic sheen in the treble, and I also hear it when I listened to them.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,480 of 8,686
How is the beryllium driver adding a metallic sheen when the HD800S uses a metallic driver too--aluminium. Aluminum rings far more than beryllium. FR issues or enclosure resonance issues being confused with material properties.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,481 of 8,686
How is the beryllium driver adding a metallic sheen when the HD800S uses a metallic driver too--aluminium. Aluminum rings far more than beryllium. FR issues or enclosure resonance issues being confused with material properties.

Ha ha, I was thinking exactly the same myself :wink:

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,482 of 8,686

Nobody said anything about ringing. People comment about an artificial metallic sheen sound with the treble.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,483 of 8,686

If that's what you hear, I believe you, but I don't think a treble extending too far was the problem I heard. It's also not what I see on Tyll's measurements. The Utopia does have a more exaggerated peak around 14~15 kHz (I'm not sure that's a good thing), but arguably a more precipitous roll-off post 10 kHz:
utopia.png

hd800s.png

I think there's a real possibility, as I suggested in my original post, that the Utopia is showing flaws in my recordings, but I'll need to do a lot more listening to be sure of that. I'm a little cautious of that explanation right now - after all, that argument could be extended to anything. E.g., slick audio salesman's pitch: "Oh, that nasty distortion that you'd never heard before on your favorite/best-quality hi-res tracks? Trust me, these fantastic new Apple earbuds are simply so good they are just exposing weaknesses in the original recording." :wink:

I'll report back when I've had more A/B time with a wider selection of sources.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,484 of 8,686
From my research, the HD800 and HD800 S does NOT have an aluminum driver.
I think it's uses a Duofol ring radiator type driver.
Duofol is not made of metal, it's more like a plastic composite.
I do believe the HD580/600/650 also uses a conventional Duofol drivers as well, and they are not ring radiators like the 800/800 S.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,485 of 8,686
Actually, if you look at the measurements it confirms what I hear. The Utopia stays more straight after 10khz (eventhough it has some peaks according to the graph) while the HD 800S dives a bit.

But it can also be explained that is quite revealing. If I plug it into an Apogee soundcard that I have, it will sound "digital" while from the Dave it sounds "analog".

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,486 of 8,686
I've heard both and own the 800S. I prefer the Sennheisers. The Utopia's sound is too aggressive for me, too. And the narrow soundstage is a deal breaker. It's all preference at this price point. Technicalities mean nothing if the signature doesn't suit you. I'm also guessing the beryllium drivers add a little metallic sheen to the treble that could be what's bothering you.
The metallic vs organic sound tints might have something to do with harmonic distortion characteristics

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #2,487 of 8,686
The general idea of a metal driver making the headphones sound metallic is hilarious to me, but I'd guess that's just me :wink:

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,488 of 8,686
The general idea of a metal driver making the headphones sound metallic is hilarious to me, but I'd guess that's just me :wink:
I'm apt to agree with this. I'd buy into a more digital or analog sound and chalk in up to a bad recording. I can hear that distinction a little more clearly.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #2,489 of 8,686
finally ordered me a HD800S, gonna drive it with Audio-GD NOS11 V2 and V200 :) (sold my HD650)

my only worry is the treble, since I'm some what sensitive in this regard ..

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,490 of 8,686
You shouldn't have any kind of problems with the Senns taking into account the AMP and DAC you're going to use with.

I do have a NOS11 V2 and together with the HD800S, at least for me, they make and incredible combo. No kind of sibilances if the music you're hearing through them is not that bad recorded. Smooth & musical sound instead is what your ears are going to hear. Do let us know how is your experience.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back