Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,786 of 8,774
  I concur, although I wouldn’t say “way” better but enough of a change to make an important appreciable difference in overall music enjoyment.

With regards to the LCD-2s, they’re a compliment to the 800s, especially the base…an interesting phone and great to chill out with but the lack of treble extension constantly made me feel I was missing half the music.
I’ve recently let mine go and replaced them with the HD650s (also HD6XX) for when I need a break from the 800Ss resolving power…. just received a pair of AKG K7XX and they’re also IMHO an alternative/ complimentary phone.  

Completely agree that the HD650 is a better option than the LCD-2 (or LCD-3 or LCD-X for that matter).

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,787 of 8,774
I concur, although I wouldn’t say “way” better but enough of a change to make an important appreciable difference in overall music enjoyment.

With regards to the LCD-2s, they’re a compliment to the 800s, especially the base…an interesting phone and great to chill out with but the lack of treble extension constantly made me feel I was missing half the music.
I’ve recently let mine go and replaced them with the HD650s (also HD6XX) for when I need a break from the 800Ss resolving power…. just received a pair of AKG K7XX and they’re also IMHO an alternative/ complimentary phone.  

Thank you Rob.

But if the LCD-2 was used mainly for eletronic music, in this scenario , would I still miss parts os the music due the treble roll off? David

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,788 of 8,774
Thank you Rob.

But if the LCD-2 was used mainly for eletronic music, in this scenario , would I still miss parts os the music due the treble roll off? David

Good question....my LCD2s were my go to for EDM.....for jazz and classical the HD700s and now the 800S which I enjoy with all genres.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary/1065#post_12637816

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,789 of 8,774

Good question....my LCD2s were my go to for EDM.....for jazz and classical the HD700s and now the 800S which I enjoy with all genres.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary/1065#post_12637816

Rob,
If I remember correctly you were posting alot on the HD700 thread a while back.  I think we were the only guys who really liked that phone. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,790 of 8,774

Rob,
If I remember correctly you were posting alot on the HD700 thread a while back.  I think we were the only guys who really liked that phone. 

and then the 800S came along and ruined it all. lol 
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,792 of 8,774
Just wounded out that HD800S is still amp picky. Couple of weeks back demoed it with Rega Ear. (First time i heard the HD800S) And compared to the old HD800, wasn't really that impressed. There was a lack of soundstage and overall it wasn't "at par". (Comparing it out of memory, and only have heard HD800 with HDVD800)

This week, went to a another shop and they had Marantz HD-DAC1. which isn't best by any means but it beats the Rega Ear without competition.  (At the shop i asked the best amp they have for demo with HD800S)

But boy was I impressed with the HD800S. The one thing that bothered me with the HD800 was the lack of bass. And with the S that was fixed. The famous peak really didn't bother me with the original, but i'm pretty sure that overtime i would avoid bright songs.

2 hours i sit there at the shop browsing music. You really know that you like particular pair of headphones, when you want to just sit there at the shop and keep listening to the music and when the shop is allready close to closing in for the day, but don't want to give the headphones away 
redface.gif

Hope Senn releases the HDVD successor soon so i could order it with the HD800S. Bit of an struggle to keep waiting it but.. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,793 of 8,774
Even my mojo sounds better than the Rega, has nothing to do with the amplifier.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #1,794 of 8,774
Hear (pun intended:smile: ) I’m thinking my new HD800S are the cats meow, well at least with classical, jazz, most vocal/instrumental music  and a fair amount of EDM but throwing on Underworld’s album “Dark & Long” the “S”s just didn’t seem to do it and started to loose interest and felt as if someone just left the drum machine running a little too long.

Switching over to my current “chill out” phones…my LCD2.2s…the immersion was back and those repetitive base and drum lines were not annoying at all and I got lost in the rhythm.

Both phones are very satisfying but in their own way, but for me the HD800S are like laying out in a Corbusier Chaise Lounge

And the LCD2.2s….a ...La-Z-Boy:p

hehehehehe. Good

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,797 of 8,774
What you mean with this?

Just wasn't impressed with the Rega at all. Even on easy to drive headphones.So the DAC was holding it back.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,800 of 8,774

I think the perfect setup for HD800 S is:

DAC: Metrum Menuet NOS Dac
Amp: Vioelectric V281

Nooooo.. My Schiit Rag/Yggy stack smokes everything out there :frowning2: :frowning2:

Easy boys with the blanket statements. There are many great ways to get good sound and the hd800S can sound great on more than one system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back