Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,666 of 8,774
  Not being funny, just pointing out that there's obviously gonna be some that prefer X over Y. I'd wager Senn doesn't expect them to be the majority, otherwise they wouldn't have made the -S model and priced it higher.

Agreed, my last room mate tried my HD800 and said it sounded like **** and he of course had a beats on ear :wink:

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,667 of 8,774
  Agreed, my last room mate tried my HD800 and said it sounded like **** and he of course had a beats on ear :wink:

LMAO hey in fairness, bass lovers probably would like Beats over the HD800. I'd probably take the Solo2's over the original HD800 if I was told I wasn't allowed to sell them, but had to keep them. :p

My defense is those massive treble cannons just do not work at all for me. Grado, the brighter AKGs, some of the Beyers... if there isn't a bass bump to at least make it V shaped I can't handle it.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,669 of 8,774
Yup, I'm one of them!
very_evil_smiley.gif
 And probably one of the very few people that did not like the latest HD800 resonator mod.

I borrowed the HD800S from a friend of mine for a week.  I really, really tried to love them but the soundstage was a little compressed and fuzzy and the bass a little flabby relative to my original HD800. I've also tried a number of HD800 mods including the latest resonator mod but have always gone back to stock.

Now, like everything else, you really have to take this into perspective.  First of all, my amp/dac combo is phenomenal using the McIntosh MXA70 {same as the MHA100 but with matching speakers}.  This is simply a magical combo with the HD800.  My other dad/amp is the Naim DAC V1 which is also magical in its own way but with a little less gusto on the amp side and probably more impressive DAC section. Hence the reason for moving to the McIntosh. More gusto, dynamics and body.

To be honest, if I only had the Naim DAC V1 and the HD800S, I'd probably be set for life. With the HD800S a little easier to drive, the differences would fade away if I did not have them side by side. For my friends asking about a high end HP and especially between the original and S, I recommend the S as the backend is not as demanding.
Enjoy the music!
M

Quote:
There must be someone on earth like the original HD800 better than HD800S

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,670 of 8,774
  LMAO hey in fairness, bass lovers probably would like Beats over the HD800. I'd probably take the Solo2's over the original HD800 if I was told I wasn't allowed to sell them, but had to keep them. :p

My defense is those massive treble cannons just do not work at all for me. Grado, the brighter AKGs, some of the Beyers... if there isn't a bass bump to at least make it V shaped I can't handle it.

Me too, it was too harsh for me. I was pointing out that everyone has different preferences. If one hates the 800S and likes the beats I totally understand :)

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,671 of 8,774
................. I really, really tried to love them but the soundstage was a little compressed and fuzzy and the bass a little flabby relative to my original HD800.

I'm really going to have to revisit the original 800s now that I've had the "S' for a while....the only thing that bothered me bout the original was that the treble appeared slightly artificial/clinical and lacked a bit of body/base, both of which have been IMHO corrected but overall I did find both 800s very similar, couldn't honestly say I noticed a reduction in soundstage or it being fuzzy...I'm constantly amazed at the layering, width and image definition and appreciate the added base on the "S" ..wouldn't call it flabby.....maybe having them side by side ..... .but on their own....no.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,672 of 8,774
  There are also people on earth who think the Porta Pros are better than flagships, and that Beats are the best in the world. You'll find people who hold pretty much every opinion.

There was a group in the last year/early this year who liked the original HD800 more than the S-version. One part of them owned the original and was just biased cause they gave themself a reason not to upgrade. Or they really only listen to classical/orchestra music. 

That  is in stock HD800 vs. stock HD800S 

But there are some who prefer it other way. Me in the other hand like HD800- Series more than Focla Utopia. Why? Utopias lack soundstage and "airness" in the sound... But that is another subject on its own.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,675 of 8,774
Yup R&B soul plays well you got to get down with the get down.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,676 of 8,774
  Congratulations, How do you compare them with the other flagships? HEK, LCD 4, Abyss?

Well i had all of them at one point, and now the sr009 too which is currently sent for servicing 

You would like these if you like the following:
HD800S(no longer with me) -value for money 
Utopia - Realism/accurate imagining
Abyss - Soundstage/Bass
LCD4(Sold) - Lush/Organic tone
HEKv2 - Comfort/ I feel it doesnt really stand out in anything but does everything decently 
009- Detail/Resolution/Transparency 

That said, its a privilege for me to be able to own all of these big boys, and i was really happy to. By no means are any of these prices justifiable, and it really depends on how much one willing to spend on this hobby, and whether one is able to.
4K for a headphone is definitely a joke, and it only means chasing the last 10-20%, compared to a headphone that costs 1K.
No headphone is perfect, and no headphone is the best. In fact, i wont be surprised to find someone preferring the sound signature of the 800/S to the Utopias.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #1,677 of 8,774
Well, the HD 650 doesn't sound 4 times better than an AKG K240, the Focal Utopia doesn't sound 4 times better than the Focal Elear, a Ferrari F430 is not 2 times faster than a Nissan GTR and Formula 1 teams spend over $200 million per year just to make their cars go 0.5 seconds a lap faster. That's the way the world works, improvements are not linear with costs. 

Based on the build quality (this is not a plastic headphone), full range 100% Beryllium driver and the amount of research that these guys must have put in this headphone since they simply do everything right (they really did the impossible with an open back dynamic headphone), it's expected that these headphones are priced significantly higher than the HD 800 S (and deservingly so). This is Focal their TOTL headphone like the Orpheus 2 is the TOTL headphone of Sennheiser. 

I have to agree with Tyll that this is a headphone worth saving up for based on how this world works. But always form your own opinion ofcourse. There is no universal truth in this hobby. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,678 of 8,774
Well, the HD 650 doesn't sound 4 times better than an AKG K240, the Focal Utopia doesn't sound 4 times better than the Focal Elear, a Ferrari F430 is not 2 times faster than a Nissan GTR and Formula 1 teams spend over $200 million per year just to make their cars go 0.5 seconds a lap faster. That's the way the world works, improvements are not linear with costs. 

Based on the build quality (this is not a plastic headphone), full range 100% Beryllium driver and the amount of research that these guys must have put in this headphone since they simply do everything right (they really did the impossible with an open back dynamic headphone), it's expected that these headphones are priced significantly higher than the HD 800 S (and deservingly so). This is Focal their TOTL headphone like the Orpheus 2 is the TOTL headphone of Sennheiser. 

I have to agree with Tyll that this is a headphone worth saving up for based on how this world works. But always form your own opinion ofcourse. There is no universal truth in this hobby. 
You buyed Utopia recently? Can you compare it with HD800S a little?

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,679 of 8,774
You buyed Utopia recently? Can you compare it with HD800S a little?

​I will do a review in a few weeks. But based on my limited amount of listening sessions over the past couple of days, the Focal Utopia's sounds more like a high-end reference loudspeaker in comparison to the HD 800 S with no real weakness. That is quite rare for a headphone since I was always able to find faults in a headphone.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,680 of 8,774
​I will do a review in a few weeks. But based on my limited amount of listening sessions over the past couple of days, the Focal Utopia's sounds more like a high-end reference loudspeaker in comparison to the HD 800 S with no real weakness. That is quite rare for a headphone since I was always able to find faults in a headphone.
Ok, i will read it. You sure seemed very happy with a HD800S so if you're so amazed with Utopia i bet it is incredible headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back