Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,651 of 8,763
  What would you suggest if I were thinking of selling my hd800 for an hd800S. Is it worth the trouble?

It is worth the trouble. But maybe also consider the Focal Utopia. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,653 of 8,763
800S is surely more musical and balanced than the 800. For the upgrade price however is subjective.

I only upgraded to the HD800S because I got it for 1,000. If I were to buy it for full price after knowing it's sound benefits, I'd probably look into a super dupont resonator first and EQ the bass up and lower the 6k treble slightly. You'll save some money that way.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,654 of 8,763

Well I somehow have all 3 on hand this weekend for some A/B ing . 
Just my personal impressions:
The HD800 is slightly technically superior to the HD800S, and if you dont mind spending some time modding them, it is definitely worth keeping 
Stock version however, i very much prefer the 800S. Sure it is warmer, bassier and gives up some details for musicality, but at least it isnt a pain to listen to.
Other than soundstage , the utopias are in a different league, but its more than twice the price. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,655 of 8,763
  I guess he wanted something on the same price range. For sure the utopia is better but its atleast twice the price.

Yes, but don't forget it's an all Beryllium driver. Most speakers only have that in the tweeter, so it's quite special what Focal has done with this headphone. Alot of research must have gone in this headphone because it's very hard to find faults on this headphone. 

It might sound strange, but the Focal Utopia is one of the most sensibly priced headphone in the uber expensive segment of headphones today. I tried many of the uber expensive planar headphones that fixed the weak sub bass performance of the HD 800 / HD 800 S but they had problems elsewhere so I didn't think it was worth the money. 

But this is only first impressions, I have had the Focal Utopia's for only 2 days now. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,656 of 8,763
No doubt that the Utopia is better , in a different league ........ but for a 4k can it don't sound 3 times better than the HD800s . For just the price of the Utopia , i can get the Audio GD NOS11 + the HD800S , and it sounds DIVINE !

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #1,657 of 8,763

Yes, but don't forget it's an all Beryllium driver. Most speakers only have that in the tweeter, so it's quite special what Focal has done with this headphone. Alot of research must have gone in this headphone because it's very hard to find faults on this headphone. 

It might sound strange, but the Focal Utopia is one of the most sensibly priced headphone in the uber expensive segment of headphones today. I tried many of the uber expensive planar headphones that fixed the weak sub bass performance of the HD 800 / HD 800 S but they had problems elsewhere so I didn't think it was worth the money. 

But this is only first impressions, I have had the Focal Utopia's for only 2 days now. 

Congratulations, How do you compare them with the other flagships? HEK, LCD 4, Abyss?

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,658 of 8,763
HD800S is not uber expensive, its in its own sweet spot

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,659 of 8,763
  HD800S is not uber expensive, its in its own sweet spot

Yep....best phone under $2,000
biggrin.gif

(who would of thought when I joined this forum a four figure phone would get to be considered reasonable...
eek.gif
)

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,660 of 8,763
Agree. Musical yet detailed with a large sound stage, easy to drive than many planars, comfortable on head, looks sexy, scales very nice with better amps. I really don't see a point spending 4k on headphones and then another 3k for a decent amp/dac to enjoy maybe 10-20% more details. I truly see the HD800S as an end game headphones. Of course people will disagree that the part of this hobby is exploring other headphones and spending money but to many these are the end game imho. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,662 of 8,763
There must be someone on earth like the original HD800 better than HD800S

I did but sold them cuz they were only limited to orchestral music for their stunning detail retrieval, for other genres they are very harsh (atleast to me) to listen even with tube amp. 800S on the other hand makes everything easier to listen to . Given both I would prefer the 800S. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,663 of 8,763
There must be someone on earth like the original HD800 better than HD800S

There are also people on earth who think the Porta Pros are better than flagships, and that Beats are the best in the world. You'll find people who hold pretty much every opinion.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,665 of 8,763
Funny guy

Not being funny, just pointing out that there's obviously gonna be some that prefer X over Y. I'd wager Senn doesn't expect them to be the majority, otherwise they wouldn't have made the -S model and priced it higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back