Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 2, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,546 of 8,732
Chord Hugo TT is very good, tag GSX mk2 and it moves to superb with hd800S.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,548 of 8,732
Chord Hugo TT is very good, tag GSX mk2 and it moves to superb with hd800S.

While the choice of the Amp/DAC are superb, I would prefer something that isn't higher than my mortgage. I have a budget upwards to $1000 for my first Amp and DAC set.

Sorry didn't realize, unfamiliar with some of your picks, carry on.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,550 of 8,732

​I tried both of yours Option 1 and Option 3 and ended up liking much more the Valhalla 2 with the Mojo, to my ears made the music much more alive and detailed than the BitFrost Multi. I never tried with the WA7 and curious to do one day since I heard very good things about the pair with the HD800s

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,551 of 8,732
I ran option 6 for the last few months.  Though sounding good i felt there were a couple of drawbacks. Firstly, the DAC on the WA7 while being quite good is a serious step down from the DAC in my main rig. Secondly, i wasnt convinced it had quite enough power for the HD800S.  The steps is took were a) bypass the DAC using RCA outs from my main rig DAC - the headphone cable is long enough to reach me in my listening position so putting the WA7 in the main system was no issue   - b) replace the unit with a Cavalli Liquid gold.  Bypassing the DAC gave me the same fabulous sound i get form my big system but then i was left thinking why have i spent all this cash for a unit i am only now using half of? and do my cans deserve  a stand alone amp of that quality / expense? answer yes.  Enter LAu = muscial heaven :)  my WA7 will be appearing on a well known auction site soon though i will be sad to see those glowing tubes going.  Its very pleasing on the eye and the ear.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,552 of 8,732
  What're your favorite amps to pair with the hd800S? I'm looking at purchasing the hd800S soon. Thanks fellas. :)

If you like solid state, I recommend the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or AMB Beta 22 (Balanced) as an end game amplifier.

I've heard many others, but these two have been my go to for awhile now. Comparing the two, I would say the Beta 22 is either better, same, or worse depending on the build quality and parts used.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,553 of 8,732

If you like solid state, I recommend the HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or AMB Beta 22 (Balanced) as an end game amplifier.

Heard great thing about the HeadAmp GS-X MK2....the Bryston BHA-1 which is a little bit more affordable may be another solid state to look at.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,554 of 8,732
I'll second the suggestion of the Bryston BHA-1.  Love it.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,555 of 8,732
After weeks of research I finally took a leap of faith and ordered a Valhalla 2 / Bifrost Multi-bit stacks and the PYST RCA and USB cables to hold my Schiit together. They should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I will update the thread with my impressions in order to help our head-fi friends who are still on the fence of ordering the same Amp/DAC combo.

Now as a newcomer to the Audiophile scene with no prior audio equipments owned I have a couple of criticism regarding my experience so far.. The Sennheiser HD800S costed me around 2000$ after including the taxes, customs fee and shipping cost and I was surprised that the package does NOT include a 6.35 to 3.55 mm adapter cable which is ridiculous since we're paying premium price for the HD800S (the adapter cost 15$ from Sennheiser and I don't think it would've hurt them if they bundled it with the package). Also this is their flagship so you would expect that there build quality and paint application to be top notch, well guess what? My less than a week headphone got chipped on the left side even after careful handling! Heck even my 300$ 6 years old Astro A50 looks brand new after heavy use so I really question Sennheiser HD800S long term durability. I'll provide pictures for both headphones for you to see but this is just unacceptable for me after paying 2000$ for a high end headphone!

Also for the life of me I have no idea why Schiit would not bundle the PYST Cables with their Amp/Combo as you would require both cables to connect the stack together. I do understand that experienced Audiophile do have these cables around but for a newcomer like me who doesn't own any of these cable it seems strange that after shelling near $1000 for those amplifier/DAC the package would lack the essential accessories to connect them together so heads-up for newcomers who are planning to buy Amplifier/DAC just make sure you have all the accessories required or you'll end up staring at your new shiny bricks until you can manage to get the essential cables.

Sorry for my rants but I want newcomers to avoid the negative experiences I had so far, hopefully when my Schiit stacks arrive things will change to the better!

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,556 of 8,732
No one includes an adapter at the refrence level hp. They are cheap and plentiful at least. Whether schitt is an informed choice or not, you left one inquiry out, what's in the package in both cases.
Lessons learned tho.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,557 of 8,732
I'm borrowing a pair HD800S from a friend for a week and have been listening to them for about a day now.  I've been using the HD800 for about 3 years now and are the only over ears I use so I know them well and am driving them with McIntosh MXA70 {same as the MHA100 but with the Mc speakers}.

Initial Impressions {nothing that's really been said already}:
  1. After 5 minutes with the stock cabe, What so immediately switched the cable with my ADL. Better. {don't want to get into a cable debate, just works for me}. 
  2. Not sure how much he's used them but they don't seem to be broken in yet; not as smooth as my HD800.. yet.. a hint of sibilance
  3. Yup, they are HD800 but where's the huge open airy, pinpoint soundstage?  Layering is a little fuzzy and not as defined.
  4. Mids seem to be a little richer, like that.
  5. Bass.  Not sure what to say here.. more bass but not significant IMHO.  Not as tight and defined.
  6. While going through my favorite playlist which I have listened to hundreds of times, I'd come upon a  song and think, Holy cr@p is this good.. switch over to the HD800 and it seems better to me for the above reasons but do notice a touch more forwardness in the mids which I like.
  7. BTW, my library is mostly 80's to current pop/dance ripped losless from CD, a bunch of iTunes downloads ranging from 80's dance to Sinatra, Patricia Barber, lots of Enigma, a little classical & jazz, DCD to Deadmou5 so music is varied.
  8. Letting them burn in while I'm not listening so they're running around the clock right now.
  9. Last but not least, with there HD800S being new the pads are stiffer and my HD800 seem like a flat tire so just ordered a new set.
  10. If I was auditioning and buying from scratch, it would be a long audition and a tough call between the two.

I have them until Friday so my thoughts can change,  In the mean time, having fun and that's what it's all about.
M

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,558 of 8,732
Just bought the HD800 S for 1199€ new from a local dealer in Paris. The offer last until 20/11 then it will be 1300€ again.
Im using it with the Mojo actually and I've been looking since at an amp that would get the job done.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the last used HDVA 600 that went for sale on head fi for 600€, but unfortunately they were sold when I was making my mind.
So I've been on the hunt once again and now Im considering more options around the 600-700€ range and I need some suggestions.

1) Mojo + HDVA 600
2) Mojo + Jotunheim
4) Mojo + Mjolnir

Ive also got my eyes on the Ragnarok which is way more expensive but is it worth it comparing to the HDVA 600 ? I plan on upgrade the DAC later and keep mojo for portable use.  Is there any amp you would recommend that is good and futureproof knowing that HD800 S is my endgame cans ? What about Senn new amp "HDVD 820" ?

I want tu run full balanced in my end game setup, and Im not really interested in tubes.

Thank you

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,559 of 8,732

I want tu run full balanced in my end game setup, and Im not really interested in tubes.

You have no idea what you will miss. Tubes are amazing. Apart from the choices. I like to have a dac and amp of the same brand. Else my OCD-kicks in. 
I do advise the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the Schiit Gungnir (if you can afford it the multibit-variant, else the regular one does suffice) 

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,560 of 8,732

You have no idea what you will miss. Tubes are amazing. Apart from the choices. I like to have a dac and amp of the same brand. Else my OCD-kicks in. 
I do advise the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the Schiit Gungnir (if you can afford it the multibit-variant, else the regular one does suffice) 

Well I mean... I might get curious in the future and give tubes a listen, but right now I don't want to get into a whole new €€ sinking audio hobby
biggrin.gif

Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir sure looks like a nice stack, but how does a Mjolnir 2 compares to HDVA 600 ? And is Ragnarok really better than both ? Can't find Schiit products locally so...

Also, what do you think about Auralic Taurus Mk2 ?

At first I really wanted to get the HDVA 600 so Im looking for objectives reasons to get let's say Mjolnir 2. If only we had news of the new HDVD 820, I read that it will be fully optimized for the HD800 S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back