Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #571 of 8,761

Exactly. When most people hear/read the word distortion they think of very audible effects like driver breakup. Second harmonic distortion simply isn't that sort of 'audible' distortion. However, it is still technically speaking a distortion, and as Tyll says, if you know what you're listening for it can be heard. 

Distortion is neither inherently good or bad, it just means a reproduction of the original deviates from that original in some way. So basically anything we listen to through an audio system is distorted. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #572 of 8,761
Nevertheless, striving for low harmonic distortion does offer some benefits, depending on the sonic ideals: increased transparency, lower listening fatigue, higher realism.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #573 of 8,761
just listening to john digweed live in cordoba, bass is nice and tight, even a little sub bass there for that glow stick feeling.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #574 of 8,761
And in this specific case Sennheiser produced solid results. I wonder just how many here correctly identified the warmer sq as a consequence of intended distortion? On the other hand, how many can hear it because they were told it's there. So we've come full circle: if you liked the sound before Tyll's review, you will continue to appreciate the S's sonic attributes, if you didn't, now you can point to something more concrete, real or imagined.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #575 of 8,761
Ill check out some classic classical after my walk, put the progressive or contemporary stuff like, ludovico einaudi, or henrick shwartz, or bugge wesseltoft, or max richter sleep sessions were sublime.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #576 of 8,761
  And in this specific case Sennheiser produced solid results. I wonder just how many here correctly identified the warmer sq as a consequence of intended distortion? On the other hand, how many can hear it because they were told it's there. So we've come full circle: if you liked the sound before Tyll's review, you will continue to appreciate the S's sonic attributes, if you didn't, now you can point to something more concrete, real or imagined.

The HD 800 S is still on a decent level in terms of harmonic distortion. Particularly compared to headphones like Abyss or Dharma. It's just not exactly as clean (in the bass) as the original HD 800.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #577 of 8,761
I haven't actually compared the FR graphs until now. Can somebody please explain to me how and in what way the HD800S measures better than the HD800?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800SmeasurementB.pdf

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #578 of 8,761
daniel hope spheres sounds great.

Ill add after listening to the first stanza of max richter, daniel hope, konzerthaus kammerorchester berlin and andre ridder 2014, renditions of vivaldi the four seasons, was to die for. sublime.

lets add some opera to the mix. rufus wainwright, prima donna, bbc symphony orchestra 2015, seemed very true. vocal inflections to kettle drum reverberations seemed fast and in place. Pretty clear yet warm.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #579 of 8,761
With the HD-800 i prefer fat OTL tube amps and with HD-800S i prefer fat solid state amps
blink.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #580 of 8,761
thats a big block

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #582 of 8,761
  I haven't actually compared the FR graphs until now. Can somebody please explain to me how and in what way the HD800S measures better than the HD800?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800SmeasurementB.pdf

It doesn't really measure better except for total harmonic distortion (see % THD+noise) below 100 Hz. The missing 6-kHz «peak» now rather looks like a dip beside the (wrongly!) elevated 7-10 kHz range. Unfortunately virtually all Inner Fidelity FR graphs show an elevated 7-10 kHz range...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #583 of 8,761

It doesn't really measure better except for total harmonic distortion (see % THD+noise) below 100 Hz. The missing 6-kHz «peak» now rather looks like a dip beside the (wrongly!) elevated 7-10 kHz range. Unfortunately virtually all Inner Fidelity FR graphs show an elevated 7-10 kHz range...
rolleyes.gif

Wrongly elevated 7-10 kHz range, as in wrongly measured or wrongly elevated?

I have to say that I've long since been quite sure that FR graphs means nothing, and now I'm convinced. If the that's a smoother treble response then I'm a monkeys uncle!

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #584 of 8,761
Would you consider Oppo HA-1 to be a fat SS amp? I have the HA-1 and also a Schitt Valhala. I'm wondering if I would get significantly better sound if I upgraded to another amp with better synergy with 800S. If Oppo is already pretty good then diminishing returns would mean I would have to spend alot of money for a relatively small improvement. I don't mind spending wisely but hate to throw it away for trivial improvement. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back