Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 29, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #91 of 8,689
Most folks can hear down to 20 so you bet there are low fr these days. Gotta love that bass

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #92 of 8,689
Most folks can hear down to 20 so you bet there are low fr these days. Gotta love that bass

Yeah, good to test HD800(S) too, even if some music style is not so fun. 'Open internet sources' like YouTube and others have some, enough good, examples everybody can find something like this
Or just try to find some more musically related 'deep sub-bass patterns which can be felt' recording suggestions like here and there, etc...
If someone tries those in car with good audio system, 'fun' is maybe even stronger ['body resonance' of typical car is somewhere 20Hz]

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #93 of 8,689
My aurelic taurus mkII arrives today. Hope I'll be able to listen to it tonight.

It's not hard to change the cable on the HD 800 S I assume? I'm going to be running the HD 800 S balanced.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #94 of 8,689
My aurelic taurus mkII arrives today. Hope I'll be able to listen to it tonight.

It's not hard to change the cable on the HD 800 S I assume? I'm going to be running the HD 800 S balanced.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/6263/HD800_HD800S_Manual_12_2015_EN.pdf
Please some comments with/without balanced connection with Taurus MkII...

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #95 of 8,689
Also hugo does not run balanced

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #96 of 8,689
  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/6263/HD800_HD800S_Manual_12_2015_EN.pdf
Please some comments with/without balanced connection with Taurus MkII...

Why? Do you think that someone designed a balanced amp that actually sounds better single-ended? 

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #97 of 8,689
  Why? Do you think that someone designed a balanced amp that actually sounds better single-ended? 

Maybe it's time to change some of my gear...
Just looking for information from different users when they just changed their gear, later there can be effect of 'settling down with new habit'.. hearing/brain just readjusts to new, and takes this new as 'normal'. Different story, if someone can collect many devices and keep them all somehow in use

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #98 of 8,689

Maybe it's time to change some of my gear...
Just looking for information from different users when they just changed their gear, later there can be effect of 'settling down with new habit'.. hearing/brain just readjusts to new, and takes this new as 'normal'. Different story, if someone can collect many devices and keep them all somehow in use

That I understand. 

In general, the HD800 sounds better on tubes and so far, in my limited experience, so does the S. But the S sounds better than the classic on SS amps. So, it could be that the some SS amps will sounds as good or better than the best valve amps. In the not too distant future, I bet we get some impressions from people who have the best of both and will contrast and compare. But at this point, I still think glowing glass is the way to go.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #99 of 8,689
  That I understand. 

In general, the HD800 sounds better on tubes and so far, in my limited experience, so does the S. But the S sounds better than the classic on SS amps. So, it could be that the some SS amps will sounds as good or better than the best valve amps. In the not too distant future, I bet we get some impressions from people who have the best of both and will contrast and compare. But at this point, I still think glowing glass is the way to go.

OK, I see :--)

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #100 of 8,689
First listen - sorry I do not have TOTL setup for the HD800 / HD 800 S:

Toshiba SD9200 > Schiit Gungnir Multibit > Schiit Valhalla 2 > Sennheiser HD 800 S

I had a thought, in my mind prior to listening, what the HD 800 S would sound like. I envisioned basically HD800 without the treble peak. But upon first listen, it doesn't sound like that to my ears. I do no agree either that it is just treble peak solved and bass added. In fact, I did not hear anything specific added or taken away. As I mentioned, I would make one of my first focus efforts on comparing width, depth, height - soundstage to my ears remains the same remarkable size as it was on HD800.

But the headphone sounds so different! The delta to me is like a change across the entire frequency spectrum. Going back and forth, HD 800 S to HD 800 and back to HD 800 S, I was seeking something I could hear in one and not the other. I did not find a thing - an instrument, a sound, nothing! I did, however, find it easier to focus on some things on the HD 800 S - particularly the sounds behind the foreground sounds. In a way, I could peer over the shoulder of the singer to hear something played way off in the distance. My senses felt more on-edge, overwhelmed sometimes with the original HD800. I felt eerily calm with the HD 800 S.

Anyways, these are just first thoughts - I concur with anyone who said difference between the two headphones is not subtle at all. And I could agree with someone who claims the HD600 and HD650 are closer in sound - at least I could agree today 
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #101 of 8,689

Toshiba SD9200 > Schiit Gungnir Multibit > Schiit Valhalla 2 > Sennheiser HD 800 S

I had a thought, in my mind prior to listening, what the HD 800 S would sound like. I envisioned basically HD800 without the treble peak. But upon first listen, it doesn't sound like that to my ears. I do no agree either that it is just treble peak solved and bass added. In fact, I did not hear anything specific added or taken away. As I mentioned, I would make one of my first focus efforts on comparing width, depth, height - soundstage to my ears remains the same remarkable size as it was on HD800.

But the headphone sounds so different! The delta to me is like a change across the entire frequency spectrum. Going back and forth, HD 800 S to HD 800 and back to HD 800 S, I was seeking something I could hear in one and not the other. I did not find a thing - an instrument, a sound, nothing! I did, however, find it easier to focus on some things on the HD 800 S - particularly the sounds behind the foreground sounds. In a way, I could peer over the shoulder of the singer to hear something played way off in the distance. My senses felt more on-edge, overwhelmed sometimes with the original HD800. I felt eerily calm with the HD 800 S.

Anyways, these are just first thoughts - I concur with anyone who said difference between the two headphones is not subtle at all. And I could agree with someone who claims the HD600 and HD650 are closer in sound - at least I could agree today 
redface.gif

Thank You! Very interesting comparison. You say that HD600 versus HD650 are more 'closer in sound' than HD800 versus HD800S. I'm intrigued to hear HD800S now, because for me HD600 versus HD650 sound difference was the reason to let HD650 go and get other hp's. Maybe difference was bigger for me because I had HD650 'older version' (supposedly darker sounding than 'newer version')

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #102 of 8,689

Thank You! Very interesting comparison. You say that HD600 versus HD650 are more 'closer in sound' than HD800 versus HD800S. I'm intrigued to hear HD800S now, because for me HD600 versus HD650 sound difference was the reason to let HD650 go and get other hp's. Maybe difference was bigger for me because I had HD650 'older version' (supposedly darker sounding than 'newer version')

Let me start by saying, I like to listen to a lot of different things 
redface.gif

I definitely mean the new version of the HD650. I too own the original, darker version of the HD650. However, I bought the new HD650 (found a deal on eBay, bought it and listened to it at home for about a month, and sold it to a friend who had heard my HD650 and wanted his own pair). And it is this new HD650 relative to the HD600 that are fairly close.

Yes, please give the HD 800 S a listen. If you find different sounds as intriguing as I do, I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #103 of 8,689

redface.gif

Thanks for your early impressions. The vahalla 2, while not TOTL is pretty amazingly simpatico with the HD800 and S. So I think your impressions on the rig are/will be pretty representative.

Do you think you could do a side by side with the HEK? I wrote something about it in my review, but 1) I didn't have them to listen to side by side 2) I have trouble with heavy headphones (literally a pain in the neck) so that probably colors my view. I liked the HEK but I didn't love it, especially for 3k and the smoothing over details. But it would be really good to hear what someone thinks who likes the HEK and can do a side by side.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more!

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #104 of 8,689
Here is a link to quite an extensive review (in polish). 

http://hifiphilosophy.com/recenzja-sennheiser-hd-800-s/?caly-artykul=1

Here is a translated list of pros and cons vs. the classic:

Advantages

1. Better for amplifiers.
  2. Easier to obtain the highest class, fully open treble.
  3. Smoother (in a good way) sound.
  4. Greater clarity and transparency.
  5. Premium quality vocals.
  6. Minimally faster, more focused and taut bass.
  7. Beautiful sound in the sense of its uniqueness and high culture.
  8. Soft yet attractive look deep black with silver accents.
  9. Balancedcable included.
  10. New absorber.

Disadvantages and reservations

1. You can not buy without a balanced cable, causing a higher price.
  2. The change is relatively small.

In general, it tracks with what most people are saying except for "greater clarity and transparency". It's also noteworthy that the reviewer is also finding that the S is less amp picky than older bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back