Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #8,312 of 8,828
Feb 12, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #8,314 of 8,828
Anyone have pad recommendations if I find the sibilance to be a little too hot at times?
Outside of the OEM pads not sure.
EQ may help, for those of us who have no means of applying EQ in the chain a layer or two of 2 ply TP sometimes does the trick.
If the sibilance only shows up once in a while it’s usually the recording, if more often something in the chain may need to be addressed, DAC, amplification etc.
The HD800S are of themselves not sibilant but are more than happy to reveal any shortcomings in the audio chain.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #8,315 of 8,828
The 6khz peak is still fairly present in the stock form. I like TP over EQ (I use DMG equilibrium) personally but YMMV. A dac that’s a bit laid back and does not tend to point a spotlight on everything in the music can also help.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #8,317 of 8,828
That is so much an individual term. Some folks like extended bass, some don't, some prefer more treble, some mids, etc., etc. What's better, then?

Cheers!
I should’ve added “so much better to me”. Music and how we hear it is personal. The choice of headphones and associated gear is all about individual preferences.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #8,318 of 8,828
Should I bite the bullet and just buy some spare OEM pads now or are there any cheaper alternatives out there?

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #8,319 of 8,828
The 6khz peak is still fairly present in the stock form. I like TP over EQ (I use DMG equilibrium) personally but YMMV. A dac that’s a bit laid back and does not tend to point a spotlight on everything in the music can also help.
For me the peak is indeed very present. I find that pairing with a tube amp somehow bends the tuning in such a way that the 800S sans EQ is all good. However, today I paired the 800S with my SS amp and forgot to apply EQ in Roon. The sound was great BUT after an hour I started to get listening fatigue. After a listening break, EQ was re-applied and all was well.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #8,320 of 8,828
The 6khz peak is still fairly present in the stock form.
Yep...6K or any any high frequency tone that is highlighted could be rather annoying for any sustained period.

And if there are any vocals that are sibilant in the recording any overtones or harmonics above the fundamentals, 3K max for female singers, would be exacerbated.
I've been using this recording for a few decades as a reference to check my equipment for any high frequency anomalies.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/59355
Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 9.19.39 AM.png

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #8,321 of 8,828
Well not too bad pads. Perforated lamb skin, But the positive is seal but the negative is clamp force is more, slight uncomfortable. I think there’s a reason for the thin membrane of hd800S pads, so no rush but looking to get replacement hd800S pads as is in Canada?

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #8,322 of 8,828
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #8,323 of 8,828
I’m seriously thinking of “upgrading” to the HD-820, mostly because of its closed back design. I realize that its sound quality is “as good but different” than the ‘800. But I trust that Sennheiser will come through for me, they haven’t disappointed me in the past.
So, does anyone want to buy my slightly used HD-800? :wink:

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #8,324 of 8,828
I’m seriously thinking of “upgrading” to the HD-820, mostly because of its closed back design.
If you can try for an audition, originally when they first came out I was put off and called them "wonky" but now that all the initial negativity has faded I unexpectedly was able to give them another try but next to some competition.
got to do direct comparisons of the HD820 with some other closed backs.
I was able to play a wide selection from Tidal Hi-Fi, jazz, Dave Holland acoustic bass, classical, Stravinsky "Rite of Spring, some vocal work, percussion pieces and then some Kraftwerk.
First up were the Focal Stellia, which I'd not like at all, at least not for the asking price, nothing really special about them, think I preferred my Elegia. Second up were the Meze Liric which were quite sibilant, something odd about them not sure what was going on but it did not fair well.
The more affordable Dan Clarke Aeon sounded fine and reminded me of the HD600 series but the HD820 overall where just a lot more entertaining, the audio illusion is more immersive, bass was more than adequate, especially if one is fine with HD800S and the treble was IMHO the best of the bunch.
...total reversal.
I would have bought a new pair right there and then If not for some up and coming dental crowns. : (
And now they're my go to, go figure. :sunglasses:
And as we all know being on Head-fi... resistance is futile :rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back