Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 3, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #7,306 of 8,817
I am beyond shocked at how much the HA-300ii upped the game on the 800S. No more yearnings for other TOTL headphones now~

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #7,307 of 8,817
I was listening to the latest episode of The Headphone Show live stream and someone asked a question about fake headphones on the market to which Andrew replied something like (I'm paraphrasing here): "oh yeah, I've heard about that - especially the Sennheiser models, like the HD800s..."

But that got me thinking - surely the HD800s is a very difficult headphone to fake? Nothing about it is 'off the shelf' from the ring driver to the unconventional and complex design to the proprietary connectors to the highly distinctive sound signature (people would be suspicious if they received an HD800s that was bass heavy and had no soundstage). So surely it would be quite an undertaking to mass produce something that looks extremely similar to and approximately sounds like an HD800s? Probably too much of an undertaking to bother with?

Has anyone heard of a fake HD800s on the market?
Am pretty sure that no replica could fool a headfier especially when it comes to the HD800 and its German craftsmanship

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #7,309 of 8,817
Well, my consensus is that I am glad to have owned the HD 800S again.
A brilliant headphone (not without its flaws) at a fairly reasonable price point.

Passed it on to a friend, but so glad I listened to it again. Lots of nostalgia back to what brought me here in the first place.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #7,310 of 8,817
Well, my consensus is that I am glad to have owned the HD 800S again.
A brilliant headphone (not without its flaws) at a fairly reasonable price point.

Passed it on to a friend, but so glad I listened to it again. Lots of nostalgia back to what brought me here in the first place.
I mostly listen to Utopia, but now and again I put on the 800s and enjoy it too. I'm glad I have both!

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #7,311 of 8,817
I mostly listen to Utopia, but now and again I put on the 800s and enjoy it too. I'm glad I have both!
How do they compare to your music genre taste ?

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #7,312 of 8,817
How do they compare to your music genre taste ?
I agree with most (maybe all) of the general consensus on both Utopia and the HD800s. For me, admittedly, while I prefer the Utopia for most music I find time for and really enjoy my HD800s too.

I feel like the HD800s is more comfortable to wear, and I find it's a nice headphone to listen to classical music with. Like many others have observed, the Utopia, with it's smaller intimate presentation, sometimes doesn't work as well with classical music (just my opinion of course).

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to Shubert and enjoying it on the HD800s!

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #7,313 of 8,817
I agree with most (maybe all) of the general consensus on both Utopia and the HD800s. For me, admittedly, while I prefer the Utopia for most music I find time for and really enjoy my HD800s too.

I feel like the HD800s is more comfortable to wear, and I find it's a nice headphone to listen to classical music with. Like many others have observed, the Utopia, with it's smaller intimate presentation, sometimes doesn't work as well with classical music (just my opinion of course).

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to Shubert and enjoying it on the HD800s!
The HD800 soundstage is unsurpassed and especially shining with classical music, Focals are superb all rounders

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #7,314 of 8,817
Edm, electronic, r&b, hip hop, ambient even sound pretty good as well. This isn’t just dads classical hp.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #7,315 of 8,817
Have been using the Focal Clear for a month or two solely - just switched tonight to the HD800S. Wow it's nice to switch up headphones now and then. The Focals seem a little claustrophobic in comparison.

Switched from the Clear just to test out my tube amp - which is going to be off for modifications for a month on Friday. The HD800S seems to have better microdetail - there is a pop artist called Jain where I thought my IEMs were defective - I double checked with the Clear Pros and no, it was just in the recording. But my Rai Penta + M11 Plus DAP presented it much more and the recording errors were almost glossed over with the Focal. Perhaps due to their lower midrange dip.

The HD800S, obviously, does not suffer from this issue and presented the glitches in all their harsh, scratchy, glory. And the sounstage is huge also.
Paired with a Gustard P26 and Burson opamps, through to my 339i OTL amp and the bass is authoritative. Just a shame I won't have the tube amp for a few weeks. I will be getting some balanced cables to use the 800S with the 789 until I get the tube amp back.

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #7,316 of 8,817
Have been using the Focal Clear for a month or two solely - just switched tonight to the HD800S. Wow it's nice to switch up headphones now and then. The Focals seem a little claustrophobic in comparison.

Switched from the Clear just to test out my tube amp - which is going to be off for modifications for a month on Friday. The HD800S seems to have better microdetail - there is a pop artist called Jain where I thought my IEMs were defective - I double checked with the Clear Pros and no, it was just in the recording. But my Rai Penta + M11 Plus DAP presented it much more and the recording errors were almost glossed over with the Focal. Perhaps due to their lower midrange dip.

The HD800S, obviously, does not suffer from this issue and presented the glitches in all their harsh, scratchy, glory. And the sounstage is huge also.
Paired with a Gustard P26 and Burson opamps, through to my 339i OTL amp and the bass is authoritative. Just a shame I won't have the tube amp for a few weeks. I will be getting some balanced cables to use the 800S with the 789 until I get the tube amp back.
The HD800S is known for extreme transparency and total analytical presentation, exactly why it's mostly appreciated by recording analysts and not for music enjoyment. It's a unique measurement tool.

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #7,317 of 8,817
I beg to differ but hey, that’s just me. If you enjoy the music it’s hard not to

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #7,318 of 8,817
I beg to differ but hey, that’s just me. If you enjoy the music it’s hard not to
Totally agree, the HD800S have a special place in my heart too 👍

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #7,319 of 8,817
So I got myself an HD800S. Sound is very good from either my Jot 2 or Feliks Audio Echo. However they are not overly comfortable to wear. Looking at some Dekoni pads to improve that. Has anyone else here used Dekoni pads on the HD800S? If so which ones?

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #7,320 of 8,817
So I got myself an HD800S. Sound is very good from either my Jot 2 or Feliks Audio Echo. However they are not overly comfortable to wear. Looking at some Dekoni pads to improve that. Has anyone else here used Dekoni pads on the HD800S? If so which ones?
First time I've seen anyone complain about their comfort! Mind sharing which aspect makes u uncomfortable wearing them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back