Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #6,571 of 8,792
Just got these, and wow, the soundstage is something I've never really experienced.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm definitely finding them a little bit fatiguing after a few hours though...
It's just you, me, and many others out there.

Of course there are some people who loves these brightness as well and not annoyed or got fatigue even for long listening time.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #6,574 of 8,792
If you've Tinnitus, it's probably the end of headphone listening. Anyway HD800S has always sounded to have lop off high frequencies to my ears. I have the original HD800 but the HD800S is different.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #6,576 of 8,792
It's just you, me, and many others out there.

Of course there are some people who loves these brightness as well and not annoyed or got fatigue even for long listening time.
Can't say I agree with this.

To me they don't sound bright or fatiguing at all.
Lively? Yes. Fatiguing? Absolutely not.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #6,577 of 8,792
Can't say I agree with this.

To me they don't sound bright or fatiguing at all.
Lively? Yes. Fatiguing? Absolutely not.
+3

These are absolutely non-fatiguing. The only weakness is in the bass (not that it isn’t present, but just lack the punch that modern, recent headphones all come with). Still, they offer a unique soundstage that cannot be replicated even with EQ… (I can always beef up the bass a tad with EQ if i so wanted to).

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #6,578 of 8,792
HD800S can never be fatiguing especially when use with a tube amp. The HD800 will be fatiguing but not the HD800S.
The HD800 can be listened to for hours with a Mac mini M1 (Amarra) and Unison Research SH.
Very comfortable treble and great bass.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #6,579 of 8,792
The HD800 can be listened to for hours with a Mac mini M1 (Amarra) and Unison Research SH.
Very comfortable treble and great bass.

I agree. The ears can be train and HD800 was my main headphone back in 2017 when I bought it. However other headphones then came along and my preference change over time. Headphones such as ZMF Verite Open LTD, LCD-3f and eventually I settle on He1000se and LCD4.

However I met up with a friend who listen to nothing but classical music and he will only settle for HD800. He did became very interested in my He1000se though.

Now back to HD800S because this thread is about it. :) After I bought the HD800, I brought it together with Feliks Audio Elise to a meet. Someone else brought along the then just introduced HD800S. At that meet I couldn't love the HD800S because after getting used to the HD800, the S sounded like the treble is lopped off and the bass bloated.

Fast forward 4 years later, another friend visited me and brought along HD800S and Verite Closed and when I listened to HD800S with Elekit TU-8200, I connected with it and love it.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #6,580 of 8,792
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a pair of HD800S from another user in Reddit. The unit sounds great and it’s in superb condition. He mentioned it was purchased last year, but the serial number is 03XXX range, does that mean it’s a very early unit? Here is a pic of the headband serial (https://imgur.com/a/1WhZTCv). Tried to google but can’t find any info regarding the range. If any of you kind people can let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #6,581 of 8,792
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a pair of HD800S from another user in Reddit. The unit sounds great and it’s in superb condition. He mentioned it was purchased last year, but the serial number is 03XXX range, does that mean it’s a very early unit? Here is a pic of the headband serial (https://imgur.com/a/1WhZTCv). Tried to google but can’t find any info regarding the range. If any of you kind people can let me know that would be greatly appreciated.
Well, mine is 199xx and I bought it in September 2019, new.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #6,583 of 8,792

There was a slight revision in the HD800S. That could be it.

The revision changed was slightly different earpads, box & one part of the housing was made a little different.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #6,585 of 8,792
I have been listening to audiophile headphones for about 15 years. At first, I wanted the darkest sounding ones as I found neutral headphones bright.

Slowly, my tastes have changed and I less and less enjoy the Audeze style I once loved. I prefer more neutrality and do not find brightness bothers me. In fact I usually want more brightness As long as it is smoothe). I think my age has something to do with this. When I was 38,- brightness was death. Now I am 54 and brightness is life. I don't enjoy the Audeze I once loved nearly as much, and I love my Susvara much more- a much much brighter headphone.

I bet that those who consider the 800 or 800s bright are younger and those that like it are older...... I also find I am less demanding for bass quantity than earlier in life. I still like bass slam a lot, but it is less important for sure at my age than it was 10 years ago.

I may give the 800s a shot. It may be perfect for me.... I am considering the new dan clark stealth also, but I already own the TC and Susvara and I am looking for a non planer technology for a change.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back