Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 23, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #6,466 of 8,761
Anyone try a equalizer. (Not a digital ) a equalizer with physical knobs. To add bass to your 800s ? Thanks
Yep, along with feeding it (via the speaker taps/XLR) with my vintage stack which has the SG-9800 equalizer.................and the 800S has plenty of quality bass - plenty. Here's what feeds them...........

Attachments

• Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #6,467 of 8,761
Hi Evshrug

Sent this query to Sennheiser, as of yet no reply...maybe you are able to find out...

It's about the rubber used for the cable jacket on the the current CH800 that are now made in China, it appears to be less, how can I say rubbery : ), may be just my imagination but it feels more like the 650/660 cables, a good thing in my books as those cables last for years......hopefully so and the new cable will not be prone to breaking down and disintegrating as on my previous 2 made in Germany.

Previous cable.
CH800.JPG
CH800 3.JPG
Hey Rob! I was able to hear back, and I can confirm that the HD 800S cable’s wrapping was changed around 2018 to make it more durable... so you are correct! With that said, my stock HD 800 cable is still in good shape (and it’s at least 5 years older), but still it’s good news for people that get a new HD 800S (or HD 8XX).

May 28, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,468 of 8,761
Hey Rob! I was able to hear back, and I can confirm that the HD 800S cable’s wrapping was changed around 2018 to make it more durable... so you are correct! With that said, my stock HD 800 cable is still in good shape (and it’s at least 5 years older), but still it’s good news for people that get a new HD 800S (or HD 8XX).
Excellent :thumbsup:, Thanks Evshrug for looking into this...mine are also 5+ years and counting and I do not see them going anywhere soon. : )

May 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #6,469 of 8,761
................. I do not see them going anywhere soon. : )

Same goes for the other bedside companion. :wink:

hd 2.jpg

Which gets me to thinking...with Sennheiser where do we go from here???
They're both quite excellent quite neutral transducers as far as headphones go and while they both easily play all types of music and recordings the 660S give me that near field intimate experience. while the 800, given the right recording, can take me out to the concert hall.
Neither phone is perfect and tastes are subjective, some want more base, less base, more detail, highs to be less sibilant , etc, etc...but all headphones will be a compromise one way or another.
Sticking with Sennheiser, for those wishing for something in between, well we had the HD700 and they IMHO truly sit right in the middle...all in all it will be interesting to see what the future holds.
Having been in this hobby starting around 1970, the 800S and 660S may be my endgame....but who knows. :)

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #6,470 of 8,761
Where do we go from here? Other brands…

The HD800S is fabulous in its strengths. Comfort, lightness. Soundstage, layering. It does lack the dynamics of the Utopia. Bass is definitely not a strong point.

the 800S is such a landmark I’m not sure I expect much else. The drop version?

May 28, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #6,471 of 8,761
Which gets me to thinking...with Sennheiser where do we go from here???

HD850 - 60mm driver, stock harmon FR, with HD650 timbre. That would be my perfect headphone.

At this point I always see myself having those headphones in your picture.

I've been using a XLR cable that came with mine when I bought it by fanmusic. Its cheap, light, and pliable like a shoe string.

Edit - Doh ! Just noticed you have a 660S......you get the idea though ;p

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #6,472 of 8,761
HD850 - 60mm driver, stock harmon FR, with HD650 timbre. That would be my perfect headphone.

Addressing the Harmon FR may be one approach although if I understood correctly they gingerly side stepped it with the current surprise release of the ie900, so obviously always room for improvements but getting there is probably easier said than done.
And as all tastes and expectations vary the 660S were/are my answer to the perfect 650. lol

May 29, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #6,473 of 8,761

At this point I always see myself having those headphones in your picture.

I've been using a XLR cable that came with mine when I bought it by fanmusic. Its cheap, light, and pliable like a shoe string.

Why only 60 Ohms?

May 29, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #6,474 of 8,761
Why only 60 Ohms?
60mm more mass to move more air for the bass in stock form. I don't know if having the driver just 4mm larger would be meaningful enough to make that much of a difference though.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #6,476 of 8,761
60mm more mass to move more air for the bass in stock form. I don't know if having the driver just 4mm larger would be meaningful enough to make that much of a difference though.

Don't forget that headphone design is complicated and like most engineering, involves a host of tradeoffs. You increase driver diameter and the ring radiator voice coil/diaphragm mass goes up, so according to F = MA, acceleration goes down assuming the voice coil force stays the same. Meaning a generally slower response to transients as a tradeoff for maybe better bass. So maybe you can compensate for this by increasing the force by increasing the magnetic flux at the voice coil. This means redesigning the magnet structure. And so on. It all costs money and probably increases the retail price. There's an old saying: there is no free lunch.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #6,477 of 8,761
Don't forget that headphone design is complicated and like most engineering, involves a host of tradeoffs. You increase driver diameter and the ring radiator voice coil/diaphragm mass goes up, so according to F = MA, acceleration goes down assuming the voice coil force stays the same. Meaning a generally slower response to transients as a tradeoff for maybe better bass. So maybe you can compensate for this by increasing the force by increasing the magnetic flux at the voice coil. This means redesigning the magnet structure. And so on. It all costs money and probably increases the retail price. There's an old saying: there is no free lunch.
This is exactly correct. The HD 600 series driver size was identified as the ideal balance of factors without being too subject to modal distortion... until the HD 800 was developed, with its ring radiator voice coil design that increases stability by also having the center of the driver attached. So, instead of a membrane “cone,” it’s a ring. The HD 800 and 800S are already larger than the HD 650, so “more bass” isn’t due to a lack of ability to displace air, or even to a lack of ability to produce a planar wavefront to the entire surface of the outer ear.

I’m not going to sit here at 34 years old and say that heavier bass is a youthful taste, but definitely the interest in the lowest frequencies has grown more recently with synthetic instruments, dubstep, drum and bass, and the rising integration of bass drops in even pop music. “More bass” would not by itself be the sign of technological advancement (Sennheiser knows what they could do to add more bass), there would be trade-offs in performance and masked detail, but to an extent it’s also a matter of taste. Part of what makes the HD 800S special is its tuning.

Anyway, we’ll have to wait and see what the future holds. Meanwhile, both the HD 8XX and IE 900 were very interesting, and I still have a chance right now to demo the IE 900 in my house for a little longer.

May 31, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #6,478 of 8,761
Alex Paterson and Michael Rendall, aka The ORB have been up to to some new and interesting aural territory with their latest release The Heavens by Sedibus.

The HD800S present it in all its grandeur in a bigger than life way I'm not too sure another phone could. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #6,479 of 8,761
What music sharing service is that?

I have no doubt the HD 800S soundstage presents a more grand concert, but I wandered in here while wearing the IE 900, and I gotta say that was also a great time 😉 It’s cool to hear the Frank Sinatra sample underneath all the other layers of goodness 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back