Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 23, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #5,686 of 8,777
It hasn’t been updated for a while and I have sold the Utopia a few months ago. I couldn’t live with the small soundstage...it was all too compressed esp. compared to the HD800S and SR009S. Utopia is a beautiful and very comfortable headphone, though.

Thanks, very interesting. Although, one of the reasons I bought the HD800S again is its comfort, so light and no clamp. But no doubt, the Utopia is more elegant and stunning in itself. Well, one can't have them all.

May 24, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #5,687 of 8,777
Dang - got to get me to Akld To hear that 009 at some stage. We need another NZ Meet!

May 29, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #5,688 of 8,777
My secondhand HD800S sounds great and all but what annoys me is its loose adjustment mechanism. If I put them on or take them off, oftentimes the yokes slide apart on the headband which requires me to readjust the yokes for proper fitting. In my attempt to address this issue, I unsnapped the middle cushion piece from the headband and tried to bend the adjustment "bead" more into the adjustment hole using a pair of pliers; I placed some fabric cushioning on top of the headband to prevent scratches to the plastic yoke. There was only marginal improvement. Are there any other tricks others here have tried that provide a more solid adjustment means for these cans?

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #5,689 of 8,777
My secondhand HD800S sounds great and all but what annoys me is its loose adjustment mechanism. If I put them on or take them off, oftentimes the yokes slide apart on the headband which requires me to readjust the yokes for proper fitting.

I've been using mine for about a year and the headband stays put for me. Unless they're really loose it might be the way you're taking them off ?

May 29, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #5,690 of 8,777
My secondhand HD800S sounds great and all but what annoys me is its loose adjustment mechanism. If I put them on or take them off, oftentimes the yokes slide apart on the headband which requires me to readjust the yokes for proper fitting. In my attempt to address this issue, I unsnapped the middle cushion piece from the headband and tried to bend the adjustment "bead" more into the adjustment hole using a pair of pliers; I placed some fabric cushioning on top of the headband to prevent scratches to the plastic yoke. There was only marginal improvement. Are there any other tricks others here have tried that provide a more solid adjustment means for these cans?
I dont know i have these 4 years and heaband is not lossy. At every step is should click and hold its position.

May 29, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,692 of 8,777
I've been using mine for about a year and the headband stays put for me. Unless they're really loose it might be the way you're taking them off ?

I just grab the earcups like I do with any other headphone that own and lift them off my head.

I dont know i have these 4 years and heaband is not lossy. At every step is should click and hold its position.

Sure, each step audibly clicks. However, if I let one hand go from the earcup or rest the headphone at my preferred adjustment setting on my thumb, you can definitely hear the adjustment mechanism step and click out its original position due to gravity.

May 29, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #5,693 of 8,777
Cool, a lossless headband — must be way more real and organic sounding! :beyersmile:

May 29, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #5,694 of 8,777
Cool, a lossless headband — must be way more real and organic sounding! :beyersmile:
My lossy headband came with a 16 kHz shelf :triportsad:

May 31, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #5,697 of 8,777
Is there a consensus for a favorite aftermarket cable for the 800s'? In the market for a copper cable. Thanks!

I do no think there ever will be a consensus to anything cable-related :). I personally like my Moon Audio Silver Dragon (and yes, silver works great with the HD800S).

May 31, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #5,699 of 8,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back