Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #5,566 of 8,761
And... It happened. Ever since november last year, when I had an opportunity to listen to HD800S, they were constantly on my mind. The temptation was irresistable so now I've got one but... I have the newer version with 4,4mm balanced cable which is quite a bummer. For now I think I will have to somehow find a 4,4->XLR adapter but there is also a plan to get a better cable for them. I wonder do you have any experience with Norne Audio? :) Saw quite a few pics of HD800S paired with Norne cable but I wonder what changes do they make. :)
I have a Norne Audio cable, but I did not get it for perceived sound differences. I have less than zero belief that cables change the sound, but the Norne cable solved a particular need and it is extremely well made and attractive. Not sure what that means to you, but at least in terms of practical utility I am extremely happy with the Norne cable and Trevor was very nice to deal with.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #5,567 of 8,761
I have a Norne Audio cable, but I did not get it for perceived sound differences. I have less than zero belief that cables change the sound, but the Norne cable solved a particular need and it is extremely well made and attractive. Not sure what that means to you, but at least in terms of practical utility I am extremely happy with the Norne cable and Trevor was very nice to deal with.
Aesthetics are next to sound quality main feature I am looking for :) Norne are for my personal matter pretty much unrivaled and despite their price - S3 doesn't come cheap - I know I must have one.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #5,568 of 8,761
I agree. I keep and use all of the cables that are shipped with my cans as they are all great quality, including the Sennheisers.

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #5,570 of 8,761
I just picked up a new HD 800s this week from eBay. It was a 'damaged return', returned two days after it shipped to the original owner. Full warranty, box, and all accessories.

Actually it was missing the left grille on the outside of the earcup. Weird, but that's it! I ordered the replacement grille. Total cost? $1100 new plus the $14 replacement grille from Sennheiser. Good deal?

Attachments

• 15875205864023261954575208306464.jpg
    15875205864023261954575208306464.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #5,571 of 8,761
I agree. I keep and use all of the cables that are shipped with my cans as they are all great quality, including the Sennheisers.

That's been my experience as well.

Years ago I bought a Kimber cable for my HD650 and was sorry I when I couldn't hear a difference, NADA. I ran pink noise and analyzed it. This was before Sonarworks existed. It wasn't just me.

I have 3 friends that have HD800s, they bought them after hearing mine and 2 of them bought replacement cables (brands not to be mentioned here). So we did a blind test in the studio. We used a couple of tracks we recorded into ProTools 2019, 96K 32 bit. We played them back with the Little Labs Monotor which has dual, matched output amps for the 2 jacks on the front. That allowed us to swap HPs back and forth without unplugging. We took turns handing the HPs to each other from behind, eyes closed. Nobody could tell the difference. The thing is we really wanted to. Nope, didn't happen.

Both guys are studio players so they sold their cables and went back to the original. One of them bought a Wireworld Silver OFC cable. That we could hear ! Interaction with a guitar pickup is an entirely different thing.

LL Monotor on the left of the Quicksilver below. I bring one home when I want to listen to a studio track I'm still working on. Awesome SS amp you'll see in a lot of studios. Drives the HD 800s easily and plays any impedance HP.
LL_QS_etc.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #5,572 of 8,761
I'm loving the exposure you're giving to these undiscovered gem companies like little labs. I will look into them!

Edit: 670 cad at long mquades where I bought my guitar. Nice. And so cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #5,573 of 8,761
I just picked up a new HD 800s this week from eBay. It was a 'damaged return', returned two days after it shipped to the original owner. Full warranty, box, and all accessories.

Actually it was missing the left grille on the outside of the earcup. Weird, but that's it! I ordered the replacement grille. Total cost? $1100 new plus the $14 replacement grille from Sennheiser. Good deal?
Think it was a good deal!

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #5,574 of 8,761
I've had my HD800S for a couple years now and I adore them. They're a fantastic headphone, though they do have a few quirks and wouldn't necessarily be ideal for a "daily driver" or "main" headphone, unless you have a forgiving tube amp driving them. But they do make a fantastic addition to a collection of headphones, and fit their chosen role nicely.

The HD800S is essentially the "Official" SDR modded version of the original 800, and retains many qualities of the original. Some would argue that the lowend is slightly more 'bloomy' compared to the original, and i'd agree, but its a small margin and for the tamed high end and vastly improved overall enjoyment I get from the S revision, its definitely worth it.

The 800S detail is just as good as the original, no doubt about it. The original at first listen might sound as though it may edge it out, but I'm convinced this is simply due to the upper end of the frequency range being more aggressive in comparison, and not due to any ACTUAL additional detail resolution.
This detail is both the defining feature of the 800/800S, and also its main drawback.

For tracks that are mastered really well, or laid back, the 800 sounds simply incredible. Every little nuance of the music is displayed with fantastic transparency. And with the addition of its incredible soundstage, this makes it truly sublime for orchestral music.

Where this incredible detail can be a drawback though is on tracks that are poorly mastered. If there are flaws in the mastering, if the track is sibilant, or if there is anything about the track that isn't perfect, YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT!
Listening to "More than you know" by axwell ingrosso is a track I use to test sibilance on headphones, as apparently no one who worked on this track at any point has even heard of a de-esser. On the 800S it is quite frankly PAINFUL and I can't make it more than 30 seconds into the song at a normal volume.
This is an extreme example of course, the 800S would be considered a sibilant headphone by some, but with the right dac/amp choice it can be tamed immensely, and is mostly a result of the incredible detail retrieval.

Overall, what I like most about the 800S is that it isn't trying to be the "ultimate headphone", or to do everything the best, it does detail, and soundstage, and it does those well. It's a headphone that has been designed to excel at certain genres. And whilst this means that its not ideal for "general" listening in my opinion, in genres like orchestral, it really is hard to beat unless you're willing to spend several times the price on something such as a STAX setup, and even then, the HD800 ABSOLUTELY holds its own.

If you're thinking about the 800S as your main headphone, i'd say probably don't, unless you have a warm tube amp driving them. Something such as the Hifiman Aryas are MUCH more enjoyable for most genres. But if you want something that has unrivalled detail, and are ok to spend some time experimenting with sources for these very source-picky headphones, they will reward you for it.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the HD800S not being a great allrounder or main headphone. In my opinion it can most certainly be both.

I agree that it's source depending though so taking the time to find their bedt performance for ones individual taste is definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5,575 of 8,761
Well just been trying mine, new yesterday and been on since getting them. Sounds like they are getting better and did think that my naim headline amp wasn't going to do them justice, but i could be wrong.
I am lucky to have some high end sources to feed it, but the thing i am most happy with is, they are just so comfortable and without that, it wouldn't matter how they sounded as i just wouldn't been able to use them.
Will probably end up trying a different amp as long as i keep on using them, as i still prefer using my speaker's, but i cant always do that

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #5,576 of 8,761
hd800S is my all rounder.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #5,577 of 8,761
Just picked up a pair to complement my Utopia.

May 2, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #5,579 of 8,761
Picked up hd800S at a good deal in January, had them for about 3 months and decided to sell them since they don’t pair with the music I listen to at all. The headband was also very uncomfortable for me, definitely not enough padding. Moving on to Stax

May 2, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #5,580 of 8,761
These are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever had. They disappear on your head. I definitely don't know why anyone would have issues with the headband, but all of our heads are different.

I use the HD800s and the HE6se exclusively and Sony IER-M9 IEM for when I need isolation and want to drive from my phone. The HE6se is the compliment the HD800s needs, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back