Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #5,281 of 8,784
Screenshot_20200107-190804_eBay.jpg
Here is another view...

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5,282 of 8,784
Plenty of life left. I wouldn’t immerse it in water or soap solutions. The best is to.....if you care.... vacuum it (the pads and never the drivers) Then use extra soft brush as mentioned with some alcohol. Then let air dry

If you care again, you can use the Duck tape and stick then pull those debris from the drivers covers.

Else you can pull off the pads and then immerse the driver covers in soap water solutions. The pads is a little hard to pull off btw

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,283 of 8,784
So I've heard...the pads are gonna be a challenge to take out I guess... What about any oils and skin from use before (not trying to sound paranoid...) But would immersing the pads in detergent water damage them in any way? Wouldn't alcohol get absorbed and damage too then? Thanks

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #5,284 of 8,784
This was the first time for me buying a used headphone. It was a 2 years plus old unit. Was wondering...Do the driver performance change for units this old, may be due to internals getting old etc... Don't judge the question:beerchug:

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,285 of 8,784
So I've heard...the pads are gonna be a challenge to take out I guess... What about any oils and skin from use before (not trying to sound paranoid...) But would immersing the pads in detergent water damage them in any way? Wouldn't alcohol get absorbed and damage too then? Thanks

I wouldn’t worry about those left over skin particles. Oils and debris or bacteria are killed off 99% with alcohol being air dried. You could do this course a few times to make sure.

Immersive the foams in water and let air dried is good, but it would take a long time to air dry, not to mention the chance of waters being trapped as moistures under the foam porous. I would never clean it that way, unless you have a controlled oven and let it dry in there.

Most viruses will dies off in the air environment, even airborne viruses could only survive so long as 24 hours. I am not an expert here, but I did study some. Most of whatever thrives on living would be bacterial as they are organism that started life as we known it. Most of them are dead with alcohol , air dried, and UV or sun light exposures anyways. The same as skin particles. If they are as negligible and small that after vacuum and cleaning procedures, you don’t visibly see it, then you don’t have to worry about contagious illness anyways. Whatever bacterials that survives would be taken out by our immune systems.

most of what I stated would be true, unless the person is under some conditions that human have to “quarantine” and most of the time it happened on a “live host, or unknown subjects”.....you know....I highly doubt it, unless you bought the hd800S used from a Martians :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,286 of 8,784
This was the first time for me buying a used headphone. It was a 2 years plus old unit. Was wondering...Do the driver performance change, may be due to internals getting old etc... Don't judge the question
no

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #5,287 of 8,784
I wouldn’t worry about those left over skin particles. Oils and debris or bacteria are killed off 99% with alcohol being air dried. You could do this course a few times to make sure.

Immersive the foams in water and let air dried is good, but it would take a long time to air dry, not to mention the chance of waters being trapped as moistures under the foam porous. I would never clean it that way, unless you have a controlled oven and let it dry in there.

Most viruses will dies off in the air environment, even airborne viruses could only survive so long as 24 hours. I am not an expert here, but I did study some. Most of whatever thrives on living would be bacterial as they are organism that started life as we known it. Most of them are dead with alcohol , air dried, and UV or sun light exposures anyways. The same as skin particles. If they are as negligible and small that after vacuum and cleaning procedures, you don’t visibly see it, then you don’t have to worry about contagious illness anyways. Whatever bacterials that survives would be taken out by our immune systems.

most of what I stated would be true, unless the person is under some conditions that human have to “quarantine” and most of the time it happened on a “live host, or unknown subjects”.....you know....I highly doubt it, unless you bought the hd800S used from a Martians :wink:
Thanks for the detailed reply. Alcohol swab cleaning plus detergent immersion then drying treatment it is then...I generally put my new Headphones to 400+ hours of burn in anyways...will make sure the pads are dry during that time... thanks again...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #5,289 of 8,784
What do you hope to burn?

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #5,292 of 8,784
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #5,293 of 8,784
Lol...anyways the condition is as follows...I'll see if I can post a picture
Not a big worn out.
Just hygeinic problem.
It's better to take out and wash tenderly with 40 oC water & light soap.
Dry slowly (dont expose to the sun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back