Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #5,238 of 8,768
I only have the 800 V1 but I also want great instrument separation and placement. After using the Senns at first with the stock cable and Chord Mojo I moved up over time by adding, in no particular order, the SDR mod, a Silver Dragon cable, then a Hugo V1. I've been extremely happy with this combo. I don't lie awake at night pining for the imaging of the Utopia., which I do love, by the way.

I heard the Hugo 2 recently (but not with my Senns, unfortunately, but with a Utopia and LCD X). Still, I'm convinced my next step should be to stay with the Senns and add the Hugo 2 rather than switching headphones. You might have the same experience starting with the 800S.

Of course, If $$ were no object, then I would listen to Utopia and Hugo 2 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Empyrean and Hugo 2 on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday... because Saturday is a Hockey Night here in Canada, eh.
I had the Utopias on demo for two weeks. A tad too aggressive for me. I would never buy them.

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #5,239 of 8,768
Dec 20, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #5,241 of 8,768
I had the Utopias on demo for two weeks. A tad too aggressive for me. I would never buy them.

Well, the Utopia has been in my listening rotation since it was released in summer of 2016. It is an outstanding headphone that conveys extreme technical prowess, even to this day, especially to this day. The HD800S is another outstanding headphone. The last two times I have listened to it in my system, I thought it must be my favorite headphone. However, it will be very difficult to forget the deep impression the Utopia emblazoned into my consciousness these past 4 years. I should say I owned the original HD800 before the Utopia, as well as several other great headphones, some of which I still own.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #5,242 of 8,768
Well, the Utopia has been in my listening rotation since it was released in summer of 2016. It is an outstanding headphone that conveys extreme technical prowess, even to this day, especially to this day. The HD800S is another outstanding headphone. The last two times I have listened to it in my system, I thought it must be my favorite headphone. However, it will be very difficult to forget the deep impression the Utopia emblazoned into my consciousness these past 4 years. I should say I owned the original HD800 before the Utopia, as well as several other great headphones, some of which I still own.
Utopia is extremely flawed headphones. From Mechanical failures to tuning. There is a reason no one is buying Utopias these days. Who want to listen in your face tweeter that can break at any moment.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #5,244 of 8,768
Utopia is extremely flawed headphones. From Mechanical failures to tuning. There is a reason no one is buying Utopias these days. Who want to listen in your face tweeter that can break at any moment.

The frame you use to evaluate the objects around you is flawed, and severely so. There is no objective flaw you can apply to my subjective enjoyment of the Utopia. Nor is it true that the Utopia has been eclipsed.

The point that "no one is buying Utopias these days" is a horrible argument for at least three reasons. For one, the headphone the majority purchase is usually bad. Thus, to use the argument that the least purchased headphone is the worst headphone is obviously invalid. But there are two other reasons: for one, you assume the HD800S is a very popular headphone. Is it, these days? For two, you have not proven that the Utopia is purchased by "no one," particularly in comparison with those of the HD800S

HD800S is a good headphone, for sure.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #5,245 of 8,768
Had the Clears for 2 yrs. I would think similiar comfort as the Utopias. Comfort is a tad bulky. I’ve only demoed the 800 for 2 weeks. So far comfort goes to the 800

Both are comfortable to me. Utopia is not the same feeling as Clear. Clear are more clamped. Despite their weight, I prefer the feeling of Utopia: they have just the right clamp, and the lampskin pads feel very nice.

However, I love the comfort of the HD800S and think it is more universally suitable in this sense.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #5,246 of 8,768
The frame you use to evaluate the objects around you is flawed, and severely so. There is no objective flaw you can apply to my subjective enjoyment of the Utopia. Nor is it true that the Utopia has been eclipsed.

The point that "no one is buying Utopias these days" is a horrible argument for at least three reasons. For one, the headphone the majority purchase is usually bad. Thus, to use the argument that the least purchased headphone is the worst headphone is obviously invalid. But there are two other reasons: for one, you assume the HD800S is a very popular headphone. Is it, these days? For two, you have not proven that the Utopia is purchased by "no one," particularly in comparison with those of the HD800S

HD800S is a good headphone, for sure.
Both are flawed sonicaly, but atleast HD800S is most reliable Headphones ever. Have you heard of any failure driver failure when it comes to HD800S?

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #5,247 of 8,768
Both are flawed sonicaly, but atleast HD800S is most reliable Headphones ever. Have you heard of any failure driver failure when it comes to HD800S?

The "[H]ave you ever heard of any" argument is logically flawed. Do I really need to point this out? It's the fallacy from ignorance https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Have you ever heard of any X? No? Well, I guess X does not exist.

Do you see how that type of argument could be used to buttress up ignorance and the refusal to explore outward and be open-minded?

I also think the HD800S is a dynamite headphone!

Dec 20, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #5,249 of 8,768
Had the Clears for 2 yrs. I would think similiar comfort as the Utopias. Comfort is a tad bulky. I’ve only demoed the 800 for 2 weeks. So far comfort goes to the 800
I agree on the comfort front. I love my S but the clears are absolutely outstanding and my go to cans now for listening. I have to include the audeze x and xc too, because I have bought all three pairs in the last 2 weeks. They all sound fabulous.

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #5,250 of 8,768
This might sound weird with all the praise of comfort, but I'm noticing hot-spots on the top of my head not too long after I place the HD 800S on my noggin. I'm thinking this is so maybe because the top of the headband padding is still brand new? I'm not sure, but it's somewhat disappointing. I don't like having to re-adjust my headphone every few songs.

... but it still sounds awesome. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back