Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #3,256 of 8,782
i am hopeful the clear will be a close 2nd to the utopia. the issue now is that no one can get the clear in stock so i can't even hear it.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,259 of 8,782
Talked to Sennheiser this morning, they have a few balanced in stock so I've already dropped off my defective one at the post office and they'll get the new one to me ASAP once it's received.
Funny thing is though I thought I'd be without the use of my 800S as I completely forgot I have the unused single ended cable stashed away in the box. daaaahhh lol.

Well that was fast....received my replacement cable just now...and a black connector to boot...my original was silver.
Also just realized my warranty ends next month... so just under the wire.
Thank you Sennheiser. : )
IMG_3031 (2).jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,260 of 8,782
Would you mind publishing the serial numbers of those HD 800 S‘s with cable defects here? And please state whether it’s the balanced, unbalanced or both. Huhh, just starting to become afraid of the same bad luck happening to others (me :wink: )...

Would also be good to know if the connectors at the amp end are silver or black.....my new "S's" came with a silver XLR covering....older 800 stock?

And for those wondering about balanced versus single ended....well I've used the balanced since I received my pair back in May 2016 and only cracked open the single ended cable this week....powered off my Bryston combo, so I'm running fully balanced from source to headphone...except for the extra dBs in volume cannot really say there is any benefit, could be amp dependent though if there is a difference ....looks cooler though. : )

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3,261 of 8,782
So I went to my local audio shop in Canada to give them my 800S both for cable replacement and since the ear pads keep falling off.

I did before put electrical tape to try to protect the wire where it was fraying. The guy at the store mentioned that because of this Sennheiser may not help me or charge me for a repair. I sincerely hope this is not true. I will be really upset if it is.

I did send them the pic of the cable with the fraying and clearly you can see the tape I put on it and Sennheiser staff replied saying they would take care of the cable. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #3,262 of 8,782
So I went to my local audio shop in Canada to give them my 800S both for cable replacement and since the ear pads keep falling off.

I did before put electrical tape to try to protect the wire where it was fraying. The guy at the store mentioned that because of this Sennheiser may not help me or charge me for a repair. I sincerely hope this is not true. I will be really upset if it is.

I did send them the pic of the cable with the fraying and clearly you can see the tape I put on it and Sennheiser staff replied saying they would take care of the cable. Fingers crossed.

Warranty service is pretty straight forward....you do need a copy of your original invoice from an authorized dealer, download the Service request form and fill it in.....and then send everything in.
I've had a defective HD700 cable, ie800s and now the 800S cable swapped out without issue and if they're in stock at Sennheiser the turn around time is relatively quick.

Canadian Service request form.
https://assets.sennheiser.com/downloads/download/file/6962/Sennheiser_Repair_Order_Form.pdf

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #3,263 of 8,782

Sennheiser Canada has been been very good to me...my defective unbalanced HD700 cable, which was actually modified with an XLR connector was still exchanged under warranty and they cut off my Neutrik XLR connector off the defective cable and included it with the return. : )

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,264 of 8,782
Sennheiser Canada has been been very good to me...my defective unbalanced HD700 cable, which was actually modified with an XLR connector was still exchanged under warranty and they cut off my Neutrik XLR connector off the defective cable and included it with the return. : )

Wow! Really ? They do this ? That is awesome to know

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #3,265 of 8,782

Geez. Did you throw your 800S in the laundry machine or something? Mine are still basically perfect (as new) after three years of intermittent use with my other headphones. I find the build quality (and ability to take minor abuse) very good.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,266 of 8,782
Geez. Did you throw your 800S in the laundry machine or something? Mine are still basically perfect (as new) after three years of intermittent use with my other headphones. I find the build quality (and ability to take minor abuse) very good.

No I actually took very good care of them. If you read the thread it seems I am not the only one with this problem.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3,267 of 8,782
No I actually took very good care of them. If you read the thread it seems I am not the only one with this problem.
Never heard of ear pads falling off. Seriously, I hope Senn takes care of you! These headphones are far from inexpensive.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3,268 of 8,782
Never heard of ear pads falling off. Seriously, I hope Senn takes care of you! These headphones are far from inexpensive.

Thought you were talking about the cable.

The pads falling off I am pretty sure they will handle since I didn't do anything 'wrong' on that one (like my own modifications to fix it). 1 user suggested I trim the inner plastic but luckily I didn't.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,270 of 8,782
I am planning to upgrade my DAC to an Yggdrasil from my burson conductor SL 9018.

I'm not sure where to go amp wise. Thinking Ragnarock, GSXmk2 or moon neo 430 HA. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back