Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,356 of 8,787
Listened to my 800S on a Bryston BHA-1 on balanced.............mother of god, the clarity...the bass impact is spot on, just so many things to say, I havent been blown away by sound like this in a very long time.

I'm listening on my new Yulong DA9 on balanced and agree: Pure audio perfection.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,357 of 8,787
Late to the party and had recently managed to get my hand on a used HD800S. Had the local service center replace the pads, headband and looking towards enjoying it at night after work and when I can find some time.

Looking also to explore the world of tube amp... was looking maybe to start off with Elemental Watson. Anyone using EW here?

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,358 of 8,787
Listened to my 800S on a Bryston BHA-1 on balanced

Not to worry they'll grow on you. :)
IMG_2657.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,359 of 8,787
So heres a question I hope someone can answer, some people said just give up because it doesn't exist and I would like some confirmation on it. So with my HD800/S plugged into my balanced input on the Bryston BHA-1 its amazing, now is there a portable amp that can put the same or close to in sound. And what I mean by that is I have listened on my Mojo, the Sennheiser and the bass, precision sound and snappiness doesn't exist, its like the only thing that happens is the volume goes up. So if anyone has an idea if there is a balanced portable amp e.g Sony PHA-2A is one example which I dont know if anyone has tried it with these headphones, is there anything

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,360 of 8,787
So heres a question I hope someone can answer, some people said just give up because it doesn't exist and I would like some confirmation on it. So with my HD800/S plugged into my balanced input on the Bryston BHA-1 its amazing, now is there a portable amp that can put the same or close to in sound. And what I mean by that is I have listened on my Mojo, the Sennheiser and the bass, precision sound and snappiness doesn't exist, its like the only thing that happens is the volume goes up. So if anyone has an idea if there is a balanced portable amp e.g Sony PHA-2A is one example which I dont know if anyone has tried it with these headphones, is there anything

Maybe try out the Hugo 2?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,361 of 8,787
Maybe try out the Hugo 2?

So for whatever reason when I read the email of your post it had more in it, then here on the site it just has try the chord hugo 2, so I am responding to the part that had more detail, I dont really want to spend 2.3k on the hugo since I just got the desktop amp for 2k. But also you said that with the Hugo 2 the sounds is "acceptable".........when I am dropping this much money "acceptable" is not acceptable (no pun intended). So a little clarification on my end. I am using the Sony WM1Z as my primary source, I do plug in the HD800S into the balanced 4.4 (i have an adapter) The sound is is clear but no dynamics exsist or base because the AMP doesnt have the power to drive it, so I am willing to do a stack setup but IMO the Mojo sucks with these, so is there anything in the 500-1000 range for portable amps that will give you full dynamics of the 800S like the Bryston BHA-1 does.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,362 of 8,787
So for whatever reason when I read the email of your post it had more in it, then here on the site it just has try the chord hugo 2, so I am responding to the part that had more detail, I dont really want to spend 2.3k on the hugo since I just got the desktop amp for 2k. But also you said that with the Hugo 2 the sounds is "acceptable".........when I am dropping this much money "acceptable" is not acceptable (no pun intended). So a little clarification on my end. I am using the Sony WM1Z as my primary source, I do plug in the HD800S into the balanced 4.4 (i have an adapter) The sound is is clear but no dynamics exsist or base because the AMP doesnt have the power to drive it, so I am willing to do a stack setup but IMO the Mojo sucks with these, so is there anything in the 500-1000 range for portable amps that will give you full dynamics of the 800S like the Bryston BHA-1 does.

Yes, I removed some parts as it wasn't useful for the answer. I only said the sound of the Hugo 1 was acceptable to me. I did not hear the Hugo 2 yet.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,363 of 8,787
Maybe ifi micro idsd black label. It only has single ended output though.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,364 of 8,787
So heres a question I hope someone can answer, some people said just give up because it doesn't exist and I would like some confirmation on it. So with my HD800/S plugged into my balanced input on the Bryston BHA-1 its amazing, .............

Facts of life one would need to assume powering a 300ohm headphone, otherwise Bryston may have never made a head-amp…AC powered Class A amp vs a battery powered device… there is a trade off.
Bottom line though, due to the fact the 800 are a high impedance phone they really are not intended for portable use…not quite the same sound signature but I use these, the Sennheiser ie800s when I want to be mobile and where the "bass, precision sound and snappiness does exist" and apparently there is a ie800S in the works.
IMG_0646.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,365 of 8,787
Facts of life one would need to assume powering a 300ohm headphone, otherwise Bryston may have never made a head-amp…AC powered Class A amp vs a battery powered device… there is a trade off.
Bottom line though, due to the fact the 800 are a high impedance phone they really are not intended for portable use…not quite the same sound signature but I use these, the Sennheiser ie800s when I want to be mobile and where the "bass, precision sound and snappiness does exist" and apparently there is a ie800S in the works.

Would you say the sound and dynamics are close to the same with ie800?

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,366 of 8,787

heck no, IE800 is warm, thick and full sounding with splashy upper treble.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,367 of 8,787
heck no, IE800 is warm, thick and full sounding with splashy upper treble.
Wouldn't go as far and say splashy treble, extended and smoothy yes, irritating no, but the biggest difference IMHO is in the the ie800 sub bass and body, now if the 800S only had that....:o2smile:
But the ie800 is not the 800 "iem" equivalent...an excellent in ear monitor...but different.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,368 of 8,787

The Hugo 1 drives the HD 800 S fine based on comparison with the HDVD 800. It is not "under driving" it.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,369 of 8,787
I'd say the ie800s have a lot more pep, get up and go with deep driving bass which does not over power the mid-range and treble, Sennheiser has done an excellent job there... and as noted above by Levanter.."thicker sounding"...less airy...so I'd say more dynamic overall so as to compensate for any loss when competing with environmental noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back