Sennheiser HD800 or Grado PS1000?
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 8
What kind of music do you listen to?

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 8
The HD 800 is technically far superior to the PS 1000 imho. But if you speak of easy listening and Reggae, the LCD-2 should be on your list, too. Best thing is to listen to all three headphones at a local dealer or at home, if possible.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
For an all rounder I'd go with the beyer T1 I thought it does well with everything you throw at it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 8
The PS1000 is more fun than the HD800. the HD800 has a huuuge soundstage, scarily precise imaging and more accurate bass.

The PS1000's biggest flaw, imo, is the uneven treble peaks it has. (The HD800 has elevated treble but there aren't multiple peaks and valleys in the treble and they aren't the same magnitude as the PS1000's peaks)

I found the PS1000's treble to be pretty, well, bad, with a lot of music. not just poorly recorded stuff but anything with lots of high frequency information, even if mastered well. it creates sibilance way too easily.

but, if your music doesn't have a lot of HF in it, then you may prefer the PS1000's more intimate midrange and more "kicking" bass over the HD800.

Oh, but the HD800 is the most comfortable flagship headphone around. that's important. The PS1000 needs a thick aftermarket headband to be comfortable.

I should also mention that if you have the money for a PS1000, consider the LCD3. I think they're incredible and they're my favorite headphone yet. just a hint darker than neutral but with a lovely smooth midrange, a decent soundstage (not HD800 level), and very sweet treble that doesn't sound hidden or veiled. and I think it images better and more accurately than the PS1000. (I have always felt the PS1000 is a bit less precise with imaging than the other flagships)

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 8
hey op, a hd800 v ps1000 thread already exists. you will find comparisons there.
smile.gif
i spent time with both phones yesterday. i know which one i prefer, but my recommendation is that you try and audition them if possible, as they are both expensive and have distinctive sound signatures. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 8
I feel very fortunate to have a very accomodating dealer,who had let me take both of these home with me to compare them on my sound system,wich,i think you'll agree,is the best way to go, system sinergy is very important,that's why i take peoples opinion with a grain of salt,there are just too many variables at play.

As far as comfort goes,the PS1000 are very heavy,so the HD800,gets the nod.

These are two great sounding headphones,however having heard both of them on my sound system,i prefered the synergy i got with the PS1000,i seriously haven't found anything i don't like about them,so that answers your question,however,i could easily live with the HD800 if my life depended on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back