Sennheiser HD800 Have your say
Aug 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #46 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few of us can. The Moth Si2A3 is a headphone amp with speaker taps. I can connect the K-1000 to the speaker taps and put the HD-800 into the headphone jack.

The amp I used for driving the K1000 was a Portal Panache and its headphone output was driven almost directly from its speaker taps. However, I sold my K1000 about 3 years ago and I sold the Panache about the same time. I purchased the HD800 a few weeks ago and so far I like it better than my memory of the K1000. In the systems that I used the K1000 and HD800, the HD800 has more extended bass and more full bodied midrange that I like, compared to the leaner sounding K1000. Another plus for the HD800 is that it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #47 of 136
nor_spoon,

I should probably add that my source and amp combo thickens the bottom two octaves a little bit - headroom crossfeed is known for this. My comments were made with crossfeed on. So my source is probably a little darker than what most people would consider neutral.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #48 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in touch with Audio-T and none of their stores have any HD800s at this point in time, not even a single demo pair. They have asked Sennheiser if they can have one pair to demo, but they did not sound hopeful.

It is a little strange that there is not one place within 50 miles of London where you can go and hear a pair for a few minutes. It's a bit of an oversight on Sennheiser's part.

Replied by PM

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #49 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Jazz and John.

John is saying:
Those who prefer color may not like the HD800.
So-and-so prefers color.
Therefore so-and-so may not like the HD800.

This is a lot different from:
Those who don't like the HD800 prefer color.
So-and-so doesn't like the HD800.
Therefore so-and-so prefers color.

There's a big logical difference between the two. John is clearly saying the first and not the second.

The distinction is academic. His quote was "So people who want headphones to get as close to the original as possible tend to love them and people who want headphones to add excitement and colour tend not to." There's no need to draw up a truth table because the implication is quite obvious - those that don't like the HD800 are likely to prefer a coloured sound.

This isn't unexpected from a Senn rep, but I think a better explanation is the same that applies to every headphone - no single headphone can appeal to everyone because people have different HRTFs. Even if the headphone was perfect, it still couldn't appeal to everyone.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #50 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The distinction is academic. His quote was "So people who want headphones to get as close to the original as possible tend to love them and people who want headphones to add excitement and colour tend not to." There's no need to draw up a truth table because the implication is quite obvious - those that don't like the HD800 are likely to prefer a coloured sound.

Now it's you who's making an academic game out of it. Of course the HD 800 has a higher likelihood to please people with a preference for neutrality, like a few other headphones. That much seems obvious from the reviews and moreover my own perception of it. Still it doesn't mean it's wrong not to like it, even if it's neutrality you're after.

Quote:

This isn't unexpected from a Senn rep, but I think a better explanation is the same that applies to every headphone - no single headphone can appeal to everyone because people have different HRTFs. Even if the headphone was perfect, it still couldn't appeal to everyone.

Very true. And there's no reason to bash a single individual valuation from someone with a strong sympathy for a brand or a particular headphone. We're all alowed to be human, even on Head-Fi.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #51 of 136
History will show that the HD800 will achieve legendary status as soon as they are no longer in production. We'll all pause and reflect on the few production flaws, which my pair thankfully have had none of, and laugh with regret that we didn't bathe in the absolute engineering feat that was achieved...in time we'll mellow and choke up as a tear rolls down our collective cheek and wonder why no other headphone maker wishes to spend all the R & D investment to come up with another Sony R10 and realize that Sennheiser did give it the ole college try.

But, alas, a few people(myself included) will chime with, "Oh, I knew it was amazing from the moment I placed them on my head and went, WOW, these are the next level".

*Peace*

Thanks Sennheiser for pioneering ahead....I for 1 appreciate the HD800....and look forward to the HD900/850 or whatever the future brings us.

I can see directly into my audio chain, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's Sibilant, sometimes it's ugly, but, guess what, it's just what I was after.

Can I get an Amen......Amen, Brutha!!!!!

Yahweh, Amen!!

*peace*

PS: All other headphones I've owned have bowed down to their master with humility...they bow to their master.

The HD800 sits proudly and humbly on it's throne and awaits a worthy successor. The king is too proud to dignify it's position and stature to those who are not worthy and it is all just noise, simply leakage belched from those that would attempt to discredit the position and in time it will wash away and only crystal clear signals will be heard, panacea in a world of noise pollution.

I bask in the music as the fact that I have an audio delivery device mounted on my head disappears and I am there in the studio with Geddy, Steven Wilson, Neil Peart, over there is Elvis, hello Ozzy, yo wussup Roger Waters and Gavin Harrison.....MMMM....Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh.....MM'Bow Bow(think music from Ferris Buellers Day off)....Ohhh Yeahh!

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #52 of 136
marijuana.JPG

Just wondering how you light it?

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #53 of 136
Cheers...Robm321...why so full of venom??
This is an hd800 have a say thread...not a have a smoke thread.

Close to 6000 posts for Robm321 with headphoneus supremus status and this is
all you offer....c'mon, your giving the headphoneus supremus' a bad name.

this is an hd800 have your say thread .... so whadya say?

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #54 of 136
Quote:

The exact quote from John is: "people who like 'colour' may not like them [HD800]."

Apply that to the syllogisms and the problem should be clear.

Apparently the implication isn't, as you say, "quite obvious," since you're still making the same error in logic.

Can we get back to the topic?

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #55 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apply that to the syllogisms and the problem should be clear.

Learned a new word today. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #56 of 136
Surprisingly, my HD800 makes me realize that an on-board sound device is one among decent CD players, including an external audio interface. If the record is very well mastered, then you may not need anything else, except a PC & the HD800, to enjoy your music listening.

The HD800 will open a new perception on "low/mid-end" equipments you own.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #57 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true. And there's no reason to bash a single individual valuation from someone with a strong sympathy for a brand or a particular headphone. We're all alowed to be human, even on Head-Fi.
normal_smile .gif

He doesn't have a "strong sympathy" for the HD800 - John is a Member of the Trade. He's required to follow the terms of service, which state:

Quote:

A Member of the Trade may not review (or make any subjective assessments of) his or her services and/or products he or she manufacturers, represents, sells.

And:
Quote:

...Head-Fi's Main Forums...are not to be used for unsolicited self promotion and advertising of audio products or services.

When I read a HD800 opinions thread on Head-Fi, I expect to get real opinions, not advertising.

In this case, not only is the Senn rep breaking these rules, but in my interpretation of his post, he's also underhandedly insulting those that don't like the product he represents. That is going over the line IMO. Evidently I'm not the only person incensed by this either.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #58 of 136
Quote:

When I read a HD800 opinions thread on Head-Fi, I expect to get real opinions, not advertising.

In this case, not only is the Senn rep breaking these rules, but in my interpretation of his post, he's also underhandedly insulting those that don't like the product he represents. That is going over the line IMO. Evidently I'm not the only person incensed by this either.

Sorry if you read it this way as this was not intended in any way at all.

Nothing I wrote was, or was intended, as advertising at all and nothing I wrote was, or was intended to be, insulting in any way at all.

I have no idea how on earth you came to those conclusions.

All I was trying to do was to offer a simple explanation in answer to a question. And what I wrote did not break and Head-Fi rules.

I did not give any personal opinions at all and cannot understand how a small neutral comment gets blown up out of all proportions.

You very clearly say:-
Quote:

.....in my interpretation of his post

which means that you are not reading what I actually said but are putting your own personal "spin" on what I said and are trying to imply that I said things that I did *not* say and had no intention of saying - and I resent that.
mad.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #60 of 136
I don't think John's post was against the MOT rules. Furthermore I quite agree with his opinion, the HD800 are rather uncolored and you'll have an easier task finding colored phones out there, than ones being more neutral than the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back