Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,317 of 6,607
Please give them the following information so they can contact you to help authenticating your product.

^

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #6,320 of 6,607
recieved my HD800 couple of hours ago.serial 19xxx.
Overall good first impressions,i dont detect any harshness yet on the couple of albums i listened to thus far.so far so good, havent done direct comparison to my jh13 just yet. i dont hear speaker like soundstage as others have mentioned but air and imaging are excellent. comfort is superb,cable is ok. reminds me of D5000/7000 cable which i didnt like. it tangles .
more impressions to come after burn in/getting familiar with the sound.

Just one question,the box didnt have any kind of manual, does it come with one?

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #6,321 of 6,607
Quote:
Overall good first impressions,i dont detect any harshness yet on the couple of albums i listened to thus far.so far so good, havent done direct comparison to my jh13 just yet. i dont hear speaker like soundstage as others have mentioned but air and imaging are excellent. comfort is superb,cable is ok. reminds me of D5000/7000 cable which i didnt like. it tangles .

If there's anything that I remember (besides the headphones) about unpacking the box is that a bunch of manuals slid out and plonked on the table. I think there were three or two manual booklets (can't exactly recall now) and each one of them were split into two sides for different languages. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,323 of 6,607
@midoo1990

There were manuals for several languages in my box, too. So I guess it usually comes with manuals.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #6,325 of 6,607

I got mine in the middle of December, also with a 197xx serial. It did come with a manual.

I totally agree about the comfort, it has got to be the most comfortable headphones I've tried yet :)
Haven't noticed any problems with the cables at all

Not having much experience with high end speaker systems I can't really say, but IMO the HD800 is the best headphone I've ever had in regards to soundstage, air and imaging.
There is definitely something up around 6k, something I found especially easy to notice when listening to a few tracks by AC/DC.
But like mentioned before, the treble thing is annoying with HD800, and IMO the T1 was a much better match for tracks like AC/DC, but I listen to a lot of different music and HD800 came out on top for me in the end :)

(and yes ofc, i very much doubt the HD800 will be the last headphone I buy... :p)

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #6,326 of 6,607
I've just ordered a pair of HD 800's, as well and look forward to listening, with great anticipation. I'm told the Anaxilus mod is worth doing, but want to try them first. I'm writing to ask about burn-in, roughly how long it takes to get the best from them? Are there any notable sonic changes over time?

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #6,327 of 6,607
Hmm I have noticed an annoying problem with my shiny new pair...

The cable jack socket on one side is loose and wobbles around it makes a noise when it moves.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so is it fixable or has to go for repair?

Edit: The other side feels rock solid.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #6,328 of 6,607
Won't say that no one else has had this problem because I have no idea. I haven't had it though. 

Call Sennheiser or where you bought them from and tell them about it. At that price, nothing but perfection is acceptable. 
Quote:
Hmm I have noticed an annoying problem with my shiny new pair...

The cable jack socket on one side is loose and wobbles around it makes a noise when it moves.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so is it fixable or has to go for repair?

Edit: The other side feels rock solid.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6,329 of 6,607
Quote:
Lately, after experience (very good experience) with other flagship phones, dynamic and stats, I have returned to the HD800s (3 years of ownership) as primary phones.
After tweaking my system slightly to avoid things that could make it extra bright, the HD800s now give me supreme musical enjoyment where I can't stop listening to them.
And this is on strong, brash music (all sorts of rock and pop from the past 5 decades) along with some other types.
The are great for what they don't do:
The HD800s are honest but are not grainy and do not seem to have any artifice. And they don't muddle things at any frequency. They don't pump up the bass. 
They aren't too liquid or syrupy and they aren't too dry. They don't have too-sharp image boundaries--the images blend to the surroundings to just the right amount.
So these are basically the results after a 3 year test, so I think that's significant.

I basically don't notice audiophile characteristics like detail, staging, depth, width, definition, warmth, bass depth, silkiness, out-of-head imaging or anything when
I listen, I just feel a great intimacy with the music and groove to it and let the good times roll. I don't find myself thinking that some aspect of the sound could or should be better or that anything is painful. And for me, that's the ultimate test.

For what it's worth, I love them.

My system is completely CD-based with a neutral sound signature, with no computers or equalization. Amplification is via tube headphone amplification.

How do they compare to the SR-009 now that you've optimized your HD800 setup?

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #6,330 of 6,607
Quote:
Won't say that no one else has had this problem because I have no idea. I haven't had it though. 

Call Sennheiser or where you bought them from and tell them about it. At that price, nothing but perfection is acceptable. 

Yeah it's a tad rubbish, definitely the jack socket on the 'phones as the cable from the R side wobbles as well when I put it in the L socket. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back