Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #6,286 of 6,607
Some people prefer the HD650 over the HD800. Doesn't make them better.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #6,287 of 6,607
I for one sold my TH900 and have another HD800 en route. It was a subjective choice of course, but the TH900 falls short of the HD800 on a technical level for sure. Bringing out the best of the Senn can be a truly trying (and expensive) journey though, while the TH900 can sound good out of almost anything. They are both great headphones though, but with vastly different signatures.

-Daniel

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #6,288 of 6,607
Hey everyone!

I've decided to join the forums after a few weeks of looking around. I have to say a few years back, I was on this forum and was a sucker for the AKG k701. Back then, I was only able to afford so much so I got myself a pair of Grado SR-80i and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. I've been in love with them even till now despite the fact that they can be a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Now that I'm back here, I have also gotten myself a pair of HD800s and a dedicated amp/DAC to go with it. I'm still waiting for the HD800s to ship in. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind if I post up a few pictures when they do arrive. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #6,289 of 6,607
Quote:
Hey everyone!

I've decided to join the forums after a few weeks of looking around. I have to say a few years back, I was on this forum and was a sucker for the AKG k701. 

Now that I'm back here, I have also gotten myself a pair of HD800s and a dedicated amp/DAC to go with it. I'm still waiting for the HD800s to ship in. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind if I post up a few pictures when they do arrive. 

The more pictures the better! 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #6,291 of 6,607
Quote:
Hey everyone!

I've decided to join the forums after a few weeks of looking around. I have to say a few years back, I was on this forum and was a sucker for the AKG k701. Back then, I was only able to afford so much so I got myself a pair of Grado SR-80i and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. I've been in love with them even till now despite the fact that they can be a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Congrads Tundra..
I just got a pair of the 800's a few weeks ago.,as well..they are unbelievable,& very comfortable.
Using the mjolnir/gungnir to power them-so far, happy with that combo.
You are now entering a whole new level of sound quality,,very different from the grado's

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #6,292 of 6,607
Hello. I have a Sennheiser HD800 from 2009 mit Serial Number 02154. Are the newer models the same sound qauality oder better? Perhaps Sennheiser had change something. Can anybody here tell me if there are differences in sound signature between "old" HD800 and neuwer series. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #6,293 of 6,607
i don't think theres a difference, but some people claim newer sennheisers have a bit less treble

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #6,294 of 6,607
Quote:
i don't think theres a difference, but some people claim newer sennheisers have a bit less treble

My first pair was more pronounced in the treble most noticeably a spike. This second pair has none of the noticeable spike. This pair is over 10xxx and the first was under that. I dont know if ant changes were made or not but at to me this pair is neither bright nor  pronounced. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6,295 of 6,607
I find the hd800 a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions (my s/n is over 10000).  It might "sound fine" on some recording  but the treble energy is constantly here to "grab" your attention.
On some overcompressed track I downloaded from a DJ on the net, it was like raping your ears.
Recently tried the eq, spl passeq, and got pleasing results (after trying many other eq).

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6,297 of 6,607
Quote:
I find the hd800 a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions (my s/n is over 10000).  It might "sound fine" on some recording  but the treble energy is constantly here to "grab" your attention.
On some overcompressed track I downloaded from a DJ on the net, it was like raping your ears.
Recently tried the eq, spl passeq, and got pleasing results (after trying many other eq).

I use a tube amp primarily with the hD800 and an Oppo BDP95 and listen mostly to high quality recordings and can say I dont find any of what your hearing but I dont use MP3 files either. All listening is on CD,SACD,HDCD.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #6,298 of 6,607
Quote:
I use a tube amp primarily with the hD800 and an Oppo BDP95 and listen mostly to high quality recordings and can say I dont find any of what your hearing but I dont use MP3 files either. All listening is on CD,SACD,HDCD.

The dj mix I  heard is definitely of poor quality , but I  think the hd800 make it worse than it is.
It's definitely more enjoyable when taming the highs with an eq.
Unfortunately, I'm sure it's ok to post the link here.

I  have also a ton of lossless music, but sometimes you want to hear "different" things,
not necessarily available in best quality.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #6,299 of 6,607
I actually don't have a speficic style of music that I like anymore, right now it's a "mastered properly or not" matter which means I'm kind of forced to listen to older music. Even new recordings in FLAC sound ****ty after a few times. No dynamic range = no real feeling = music gets boring.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #6,300 of 6,607
Quote:
Even new recordings in FLAC sound ****ty after a few times. No dynamic range = no real feeling = music gets boring.

I agree. But I download most stuff, and when there's a problem with dynamic range for a particular album, I try to get a different version of the same album (release from an other country, 
or a different release date). Now I even don't bother to listen stuff with bad dynamic range : I use the use the dynamic range meter available as a component for foobar,
and I try to avoid anything with a DR below 6 (unless it's something I like enough).  I get also fun with some exceptions that have a DR of 0 (such like pulse demon from merzbow) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back