Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #6,136 of 6,607
It's hard to believe that I actually went through all 410 pages of this thread.
Have gained a lot of insight about the changing trends in regards to how the HD800 has been perceived here in Head-Fi.

Have my own impressions which I would like to share, but want to listen some more before putting it down.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #6,138 of 6,607
Quote:
It's hard to believe that I actually went through all 410 pages of this thread.
Have gained a lot of insight about the changing trends in regards to how the HD800 has been perceived here in Head-Fi.

Have my own impressions which I would like to share, but want to listen some more before putting it down.

That's awesome.  Do also write about the shifts in perception you observed when posting your thoughts on the phone.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6,141 of 6,607
Dec 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6,142 of 6,607
Wanted a finish that was similar to the original, just black instead of silver. Gloss might look too blingy or fake. As good as those glossy examples look in pictures, I don't think I would like it in my hand.

900x900px-LL-318250d4_HD800h.jpeg

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #6,144 of 6,607
OK,

I was hoping it has the same glossy look as the HE-6

Yeah it should. I don't really like the glossy on the HE-6, I had one for a while. People are different though, just my opinion.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #6,145 of 6,607
Quote:

That's awesome.  Do also write about the shifts in perception you observed when posting your thoughts on the phone.

Yes, please do! I'm also curious about the shifts in perception, but haven't had the patience to read the whole epic yet.

I see what people mean when they say that these headphones can be unforgiving with some material. Most of what I've listened to has sounded great, but some Blut Aus Nord and Manic Street Preachers tracks had the most abrasive treble, I couldn't listen to the songs all the way through. For Blut Aus Nord, I put on my HD650s instead, and then felt like I was missing too much detail. My D7000s were a good compromise. :)

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #6,146 of 6,607
Hi,
I'm intending to buy a new headphone, and I'm very enthusiast about the HD800 itself. I heard it on a Hi-fi show two years ago, and immediately fell in love with their clarity, sounstage, and resolution , but with more agressive music , like Hard rock, the treble was a bit peaky. I've heard that the newer batches (Serial number ~14000 and above) attenuate this problem to almost mon-existence. Is this true?
And will an Apex Butte do justice with the HD800?
I've heard that its almost as good sounding, as the Arete, which must be one of the best sounding 1k AMP on the market.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #6,147 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi,
I'm intending to buy a new headphone, and I'm very enthusiast about the HD800 itself. I heard it on a Hi-fi show two years ago, and immediately fell in love with their clarity, sounstage, and resolution , but with more agressive music , like Hard rock, the treble was a bit peaky. I've heard that the newer batches (Serial number ~14000 and above) attenuate this problem to almost mon-existence. Is this true?
And will an Apex Butte do justice with the HD800?
I've heard that its almost as good sounding, as the Arete, which must be one of the best sounding 1k AMP on the market.

Mine have a very smooth treble, ref 137xx.   I mean, there's a treble emphasis, but it's not an abrupt change in the frequency response, it comes progressively. A least  it's smooth compared to my previous headphone.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #6,149 of 6,607
Quote:
Wanted a finish that was similar to the original, just black instead of silver. Gloss might look too blingy or fake. As good as those glossy examples look in pictures, I don't think I would like it in my hand.
900x900px-LL-318250d4_HD800h.jpeg

Looks great,almost like a gun metal..grey/black--nice

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #6,150 of 6,607
Mine has a ship date of Jan. 28th..  Why the hell so long..  I can't wait.  Yeah yours are flat..  Can't wait until I get to hold mine in my hands...
biggrin.gif

I hope they don't mess with the driver either and screw up the sound..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back