Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #6,046 of 6,607
Quote:

In general, I always found the K702s brighter:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=863

wink.gif

interesting graph comparison.  in my previous efforts to EQ the K702, i ran test tone sweeps to find the problem frequencies, and subjectively, the K702 are peaky from around 1.5K-3.2KHz.  the 7K-8KHz was obvious as well but less troublesome to my ears.      

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #6,048 of 6,607
Quote:

interesting graph comparison.  in my previous efforts to EQ the K702, i ran test tone sweeps to find the problem frequencies, and subjectively, the K702 are peaky from around 1.5K-3.2KHz.  the 7K-8KHz was obvious as well but less troublesome to my ears.      

Actually the treble on either doesn't bother me. Nice to hear from you Cory...hopefully things are well with you. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6,049 of 6,607
I  thought you might find it interesting.
I  couldn't find  pics of hd800 + "peli case 1400" combination on the net, so I  post mine.
The foam of case apply  some pressure on headphone , when I  close the case. I'm not sure it's 100% safe, but it prevents any move of the headphone.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6,050 of 6,607
Quote:
I  thought you might find it interesting.
I  couldn't find  pics of hd800 + "peli case 1400" combination on the net, so I  post mine.
The foam of case apply  some pressure on headphone , when I  close the case. I'm not sure it's 100% safe, but it prevents any move of the headphone.

You can probably cut the packaging up a bit to make headphones fit better. Looks nice, though.

Quote:
I tried the mod a while back and ended up reverting back to unmodded HD800. I never had any issues with the HD800 and felt that the HD800 with the mod was missing that magic that made me like the HD800 so much.

Could it be that this mod is unnecessary for certain units?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #6,051 of 6,607
I'm in quite the dilemma. I really like the HD800 and HE6 setup I have but I've been itching for Stax lately. I think I like the HE6 setup a little bit more than the HD800 for pure enjoyment although I feel the HD800 has a slight edge on a technical level. I do want to get a Stax setup and since I can't afford the 009 the 007 and a good amp is something that is tempting me right now. I'm thinking I could sell my HD800, AD2k (I never use them anyway. They are on loan right now and didn't notice a difference) and my Mjolnir and could get a good amount of the cost of the setup depending on the amp. I'm guessing around 2k net for those would buy the 007 if I can find one used. Tax season is coming up soon and I suspect a good amount would be added to that 2k figure so I think I would have a good majority of the amp without any money from my bank..decisions decision :)

As for the mod I have no idea. I have only heard the mod on my HD800 and no one elses. Some people have issues with the treble and some don't so it could be some variance with the HD800 or personal preference.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #6,052 of 6,607
Rawster,
Just curious,
Have you actually heard & compared the Stax setup you are thinking about ,to your current he-6 ,..,hd800 setup??

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #6,053 of 6,607
It depends on the amp but I've heard the 007 with the BHSE and some kind of DIY amp. I think it was a T2. Ideally I would like to hear a LL as well.

After the last few weeks I find that the HE6 has a better balance than the HD800 for my tastes so I haven't used it in some time and tbh don't really miss using it. Ofc this is with the Mjolnir amp but don't think another amp would be worth it since for the HD800 the Mjolnir is fairly on the cheap side compared to the other higher end amps by other companies. I could alternatively get the Stax setup without selling anything except my AD2k (I really need to sell those one day). It would just take a  bit longer to save up for.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #6,054 of 6,607
OK,but recently I read a thread about another head-fier,who spent thousands on a stax set-up,only to find out...it wasn't what he'd expected,and,he was  extremly unhappy with the sound.

I will try to find the link?..,it was about 2 weeks ago??

I was tempted to get the hd800,or,the lcd-3's,but after more listening to the he-6's ,with my mj/gung setup,..I not so sure how much better the sq can be??..{especially now,  with the new silver cable I'm using }

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6,055 of 6,607
Yesterday I was at a meet with my modded HD800's.  Several folks commented upon how bright they were on their equipment.  And on a few setups I listened to, they were brighter than what my equipment delivers.

Which leads me to think that the source equipment is key in delivering a suitable signal to them.  My setup isn't bright.  Yes it has upper mid range and higher energy where and when the music delivers it.  But it isn't what I'd call bright.

And what prompted me to add the mods to the HD-800's wasn't because they are bright but due to listener fatigue.  And after the mods were installed besides the huge reduction in listener fatigue there was also a huge increase in detail and resolution.  The phrase 'hearing all your music all over again as if it were new' applies.

So if the HD-800's sound bright then perhaps it is due to the source equipment.  Or put another way if the source equipment you already have is 'tuned' to other headphones where a bright signal matches with them quite well, then it could very well be too bright for the 800's

Now I'm not saying that the 800's don't accentuate some of the upper frequencies because clearly they do.  But if the source electronics also boosts the upper end, well that would explain some of the bright comments.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6,056 of 6,607
Quote:
OK,but recently I read a thread about another head-fier,who spent thousands on a stax set-up,only to find out...it wasn't what he'd expected,and,he was  extremly unhappy with the sound.

I will try to find the link?..,it was about 2 weeks ago??

I was tempted to get the hd800,or,the lcd-3's,but after more listening to the he-6's ,with my mj/gung setup,..I not so sure how much better the sq can be??..{especially now,  with the new silver cable I'm using }

I would have thought the HE6 would be used with your mini X amp. After I got those the Mjolnir is purely HD800. If you can find the link that would be great. I'm still on the fence however as I'm not sure if I should spend the money on Stax. 

As for the HD800 they sound great with the Mjolnir. I'm not sure about the Gungnir since I don't own it but I like it but it sounds different than the HE6. The HE6 has better balance and a bit more engaging but the HD800 would be a headphone everyone should try but takes a lot of experimenting to get it right. My source and amp never was more important than with the HD800.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #6,057 of 6,607
Quote:
I'm in quite the dilemma. I really like the HD800 and HE6 setup I have but I've been itching for Stax lately. I think I like the HE6 setup a little bit more than the HD800 for pure enjoyment although I feel the HD800 has a slight edge on a technical level. I do want to get a Stax setup and since I can't afford the 009 the 007 and a good amp is something that is tempting me right now. I'm thinking I could sell my HD800, AD2k (I never use them anyway. They are on loan right now and didn't notice a difference) and my Mjolnir and could get a good amount of the cost of the setup depending on the amp. I'm guessing around 2k net for those would buy the 007 if I can find one used. Tax season is coming up soon and I suspect a good amount would be added to that 2k figure so I think I would have a good majority of the amp without any money from my bank..decisions decision :)

As for the mod I have no idea. I have only heard the mod on my HD800 and no one elses. Some people have issues with the treble and some don't so it could be some variance with the HD800 or personal preference.

That sounds like a good plan.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6,058 of 6,607
I honestly think the 009 is the sensible progression to the HD800. A few may disagree but they were better in every way to me. While the soundstage is smaller I feel it's much more natural, thus better than the HD800. 

Don't get me wrong though, the HD800 is probably still my favorite dynamic...Well, maybe the TH900, but they're very different.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #6,059 of 6,607
been starting to give my hd 800s more listening time lately, i guess im finally starting to like them

also i dunno what amp works better for them. the WA6-SE or the WA2, its sooo hard to choose! 

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #6,060 of 6,607
Quote:
So if the HD-800's sound bright then perhaps it is due to the source equipment.  Or put another way if the source equipment you already have is 'tuned' to other headphones where a bright signal matches with them quite well, then it could very well be too bright for the 800's

Now I'm not saying that the 800's don't accentuate some of the upper frequencies because clearly they do.  But if the source electronics also boosts the upper end, well that would explain some of the bright comments.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

IMHO you have hit the nail squarely on the head.  Criticisms of the HD800 reflect on bad input IMHO.  They are truly revealing & GIGO applies with a vengeance.

So, for me, the DAC is the critical factor.  Poor algorithms in the digital filter or poor jitter control and you will hear it in those Sennies. I'm not trying to say all amps sound the same but the amp will just pass on deficiencies spewed out by the DAC & maybe add a couple as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back