Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jul 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #4,908 of 6,607
I bought me a fairly used pair of Sennheiser HD800 from point7 ,a member that browses here also like me on head-fi.
Should arrive here in a day or two,i will audition them with the stock cable and my Burson HA-160D as it's the only amp/DAC i have for now.
Maybe  later on i will buy me a tube amp and separate DAC as i read here the synergy is not that good with solid state amps.
But first i will buy a Macbook pro as my source for now is my HTPC and is not clean by all means,there is lots of stuff attached to my USB hub from the motherboard so that isnt doing any good to the sound.
What tube amp and DAC would you recommend that have excellent synergy with the HD800 and my other headphones the LCD-2 Rev.2??

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #4,909 of 6,607
It's probably good to give a price cap on recommendations...but the Cavalli Liquid Fire is stellar with both of those headphones. Absolutely the best I've heard. As far as DACs...The Calyx DAC I have for sale pairs well if you run a computer based system. The form factor is awesome for a small space system.

My new Cambridge player is still running in, but I'd say it sounds good, too. 

Quote:
I bought me a fairly used pair of Sennheiser HD800 from point7 ,a member that browses here also like me on head-fi.
Should arrive here in a day or two,i will audition them with the stock cable and my Burson HA-160D as it's the only amp/DAC i have for now.
Maybe  later on i will buy me a tube amp and separate DAC as i read here the synergy is not that good with solid state amps.
But first i will buy a Macbook pro as my source for now is my HTPC and is not clean by all means,there is lots of stuff attached to my USB hub from the motherboard so that isnt doing any good to the sound.
What tube amp and DAC would you recommend that have excellent synergy with the HD800 and my other headphones the LCD-2 Rev.2??

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #4,910 of 6,607
Quote:

Give us a budget and we can recommend some amps for you in that price range.  Also you're going to love you HD800s and the LCDs on your Burson 160D it's a great start.  I would recommend using a your laptops USB to a V-Link then to the Bursons Coax input.  Works pretty good.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,911 of 6,607
Quote:

Give us a budget and we can recommend some amps for you in that price range.  Also you're going to love you HD800s and the LCDs on your Burson 160D it's a great start.  I would recommend using a your laptops USB to a V-Link then to the Bursons Coax input.  Works pretty good.

Ah yes,the Cavali Liquid amp should do the trick with both my HP.Only heard good things about the unit.
My budget is like 1 or 2000€ for the tube amp and another 1000€ for a DAC but as i said i will first buy me a Macbook Pro and from there will see if i would benefit from a new amp and DAC.
Instead of a V-link i got a John Kenny MK3 USB to S/PDIF battery powered converter wich does the trick quite nicely

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4,912 of 6,607
Quote:
Ah yes,the Cavali Liquid amp should do the trick with both my HP.Only heard good things about the unit.
My budget is like 1 or 2000€ for the tube amp and another 1000€ for a DAC but as i said i will first buy me a Macbook Pro and from there will see if i would benefit from a new amp and DAC.
Instead of a V-link i got a John Kenny MK3 USB to S/PDIF battery powered converter wich does the trick quite nicely

Cool,  seem like your on the right track.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #4,913 of 6,607
Quote:
Anyone compare a Zana Deux to B22 using the HD800? I'm hoping the B22 can add bass weight (instrumental bass simply takes a backseat on most jazz recordings), where the Zana falls short (about the only time I ever felt the Zana to come short). 

I've not compared the Zana Deux and B22, but found that changing the stock cable to a copper cable (I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon) noticeably adds sonic weight to the HD 800's bass region. I also find that using the modestly-priced Amarra Hifi software adds further bass impact than without it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4,914 of 6,607
Quote:
Which amp do you predominately go to for your HD800's? I'm interested in the Peak, but between the Zana and B22 I'm not seeing where it fits in. 

I rotate really. The Beta's the most forgiving, being the warmest, darkest and most expansive of all of them. Then it's the Peak and then the Dynahi, in order from least to most neutral, but also most dry. Forgiving + HD800 = good usually. With a more neutral setup, the Senn can be a bit harsh, especially since I don't use a copper cable to round off the sound.

I haven't heard the Zana, so I'd just be guessing, but Mike did a comparison between the P/V and ZD here: http://www.headfonia.com/apex-amplifiers-the-peak-the-arete-and-the-volcano/

"I think the Peak is really one of the best out there. A few friends that listened to the Peak commented that it’s not exactly as impressive as the Zana Deux. And in some instances that’s true. The Zana still has an edge on detail retrieval and soundstage depth. But I’ve lived with the Zana long enough that I know what its weaknesses are: the grain in the sound, the tonality that focuses too much on the mids, losing treble and bass quantity, and while it’s moderately fast for a tube amp, the Peak is much faster in pace and is better for delivering PRaT. Another amplifier that I can make a comparison with is the $6,000 Manley Stingray amp with the 8 EL84 output tubes. The Manley in a way is a quick and lively amplifier like the Peak, and it excels in bass impact far more than the Peak. But when it comes to things like spaciousness, clarity, and smoothness, the Peak is still the better amplifier..."

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4,915 of 6,607
Quote:

I've not compared the Zana Deux and B22, but found that changing the stock cable to a copper cable (I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon) noticeably adds sonic weight to the HD 800's bass region. I also find that using the modestly-priced Amarra Hifi software adds further bass impact than without it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with this, but i use regular Amarra and my copper cable is by DHC.  Both warmed up the 800's, fyi-i have a pre 1000 serial number.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4,916 of 6,607
Quote:
I agree with this, but i use regular Amarra and my copper cable is by DHC.  Both warmed up the 800's, fyi-i have a pre 1000 serial number.

OK. In that case, with your setup there's probably not much difference to the sound of what my suggestion pointed to.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4,917 of 6,607
The copper cable and Amarra helped immensely.  I try the stock cable occasionally because it is lighter but i can only handle it briefly.  Amarra just plain sounds better....it was one reason i switched from pc to Apple.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #4,918 of 6,607
I'm a bit of a basshead myself, and I don't understand how people can say the hd800 is light on the bass. I'm listening to Sultans of Swing now, from the remastered first Dire Straits album, and the bass is very, but very present on this track, with excellent impact, I'd say in a quantity that almost matches the guitars. Maybe the notes are not from a very low octave, making it easier to hear? I can't tell, I'm not a musician... but anyways, the bass sounds very good.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4,919 of 6,607
Quote:
I'm a bit of a basshead myself, and I don't understand how people can say the hd800 is light on the bass. I'm listening to Sultans of Swing now, from the remastered first Dire Straits album, and the bass is very, but very present on this track, with excellent impact, I'd say in a quantity that almost matches the guitars. Maybe the notes are not from a very low octave, making it easier to hear? I can't tell, I'm not a musician... but anyways, the bass sounds very good.

I agree. Many listeners like a bass-y sound; there is something something impressive in the sound of a Denon K5000, since the bass is almost palpable. But if you're looking for comparative accuracy, the HD800 balances accuracy with power quite well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back