Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jul 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #4,816 of 6,607
I have a pair of QSC K12s and a KW181 when I want to feel it. :D

IMO, headphones just can't give the physical aspect of speakers. I will agree that the LCD 2.2s and D7000 had more rumble, but I still would take the HD800's texture over them anyday.

EDIT: It's probably a good thing that it causes fatigue by the way. You'd be killing your ears. I used to be bad about that with the LCD 2.2. Way too loud but it's hard to tell because there's no sign. The HD800 will make your ears ring when it's too loud.

Quote:
I think also,   if you want to "feel" the  bass , it's tempting to raise the volume, but the brightness would induce fatigue.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4,817 of 6,607
Quote:
I think also,   if you want to "feel" the  bass , it's tempting to raise the volume, but the brightness would induce fatigue.

Quote:

IMO, headphones just can't give the physical aspect of speakers. I will agree that the LCD 2.2s and D7000 had more rumble, but I still would take the HD800's texture over them anyday.

EDIT: It's probably a good thing that it causes fatigue by the way. You'd be killing your ears. I used to be bad about that with the LCD 2.2. Way too loud but it's hard to tell because there's no sign. The HD800 will make your ears ring when it's too loud.

I've been considering this very point about the HD 800 over the past few days so thanks for posting.

I absolutely love the HD 800's incredible detail retrieval capabilities and for me they only fall short when I'm feeling emotionally-charged and wanting to feel music rather than effortlessly hear all the details on a recording. At such charged times the HD 800 have felt insufficient and on the occasions when I have turned up the music with them my ears have been left ringing. I highly recommend against listening with the HD 800 - or any headphone - at loud levels.

Thankfully I have the Sennheser Amperior for when I want to feel the music. Heck, my Apple In-Ear Headphones also provide a satisfying enough rumble. :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #4,819 of 6,607
Quote:

I've been considering this very point about the HD 800 over the past few days so thanks for posting.

I absolutely love the HD 800's incredible detail retrieval capabilities and for me they only fall short when I'm feeling emotionally-charged and wanting to feel music rather than effortlessly hear all the details on a recording. At such charged times the HD 800 have felt insufficient and on the occasions when I have turned up the music with them my ears have been left ringing. I highly recommend against listening with the HD 800 - or any headphone - at loud levels.

Thankfully I have the Sennheser Amperior for when I want to feel the music. Heck, my Apple In-Ear Headphones also provide a satisfying enough rumble. :)

Are you still listening straight out of the da10?  I can tell you that I get a lot more impact and feel with a dedicated amp than straight out of my da11.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4,820 of 6,607
Quote:

Doesn't sound like you are doing the 800s justice at all.  You're really missing out.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #4,821 of 6,607
Are you still listening straight out of the da10?  I can tell you that I get a lot more impact and feel with a dedicated amp than straight out of my da11.

I am and I'm sure you're right about that. I intend to upgrade my amping in future. :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #4,822 of 6,607
Quote:
will be picking one of these up next week to go with my little dot dac i + mk iv se .
upgrading from hd650s. i think the hd800s will be much better suited to the things i listen to; mostly classical and vocals.
anyone have any impressions with the hd800s and my setup? couldn't really find too much on it.

You may be the first to have this combo. Most of us prefer tubes with the HD800 but you never know. I have read good things about that stack but it sounds like it's on the mid-fi end of things. My guess is that the HD800 will outclass your LD stack, but the synergy might be good so be sure to post your impressions!
popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #4,823 of 6,607
Quote:

Doesn't sound like you are doing the 800s justice at all.  You're really missing out.

I like the way the HD 800 / Lavry combo sounds at present and see that there's more potential for the HD 800 than just with the Lavry. Though I am happy with what I have now, I'm very grateful for the pointers of those on this thread and look forward to exploring those and more options. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #4,824 of 6,607
Would Nuforce HDP be good enough for HD800 or should I just go with HD650? 

Sadly budget constraints prevent me from getting both good headphones and amp/dac.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #4,825 of 6,607
Quote:

You may be the first to have this combo. Most of us prefer tubes with the HD800 but you never know. I have read good things about that stack but it sounds like it's on the mid-fi end of things. My guess is that the HD800 will outclass your LD stack, but the synergy might be good so be sure to post your impressions!
popcorn.gif

Aha. Well the MK IV SE is a tube amp though it is not so tubey sounding, but a tube amp nontheless.
I have read that the HD800s tend to be bright and goes very well with a nice and warm tube sound. Maybe one day I will find myself pairing it with a Woo WA2 .
But yes, I already realize that my setup is not going to do the HD800s full justice.
Hopefully, it still sounds absolutely brilliant and I can be satisfied with that

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #4,826 of 6,607
The cable of both the HD800 and T1 are SPC and is part of why some people classify them as bright. I replaced the cable of both with the Zeus OCC copper and IMO made the sound much better reducing the brightness without sacrificing detail or clarity.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #4,829 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:

popcorn.gif

Aha. Well the MK IV SE is a tube amp though it is not so tubey sounding, but a tube amp nontheless.
I have read that the HD800s tend to be bright and goes very well with a nice and warm tube sound. Maybe one day I will find myself pairing it with a Woo WA2 .
But yes, I already realize that my setup is not going to do the HD800s full justice.
Hopefully, it still sounds absolutely brilliant and I can be satisfied with that

Whoops, I got it mixed up with the MK V
redface.gif

You can always roll tubes if the sound is too sharp with the HD800, with my current tube setup I have managed to smooth them out completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back