Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,331 of 6,607

dklgfjhdlkaghdlkgds I was at Ikea today. Could have used that for 2 headphones instead of buying another hook hose. 

Those look like Capita leg stands.... I bought some today; damn I run bad.
Quote:

I'm using an Ikea Hack one and its working well. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #3,332 of 6,607
Totally, but I think the lesson here is and this goes without saying - but you really have to listen to something for yourself. For those that don't have the opportunity to audition in person, this can be problematic. And so, to a degree you have to rely on what others are saying, especially with really expensive cans.

I too was always scared off from the HD-800s based on reviews. And ended up going with the LCD-2's based on word of mouth. But it turned out, I liked the HD-800s much more. I guess in the end though it's all about just taking the risk and experimenting. Thank jeebus for sites like Amazon or HeadRoom that allow you to test out and return headphones.
Quote:
In that sense, the HD800 can be considered boring since it's so accurate and neutral.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally I like the sound, but I don't blame people for disliking it.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3,333 of 6,607

Quote:
Totally, but I think the lesson here is and this goes without saying - but you really have to listen to something for yourself. For those that don't have the opportunity to audition in person, this can be problematic. And so, to a degree you have to rely on what others are saying, especially with really expensive cans.

I too was always scared off from the HD-800s based on reviews. And ended up going with the LCD-2's based on word of mouth. But it turned out, I liked the HD-800s much more. I guess in the end though it's all about just taking the risk and experimenting. Thank jeebus for sites like Amazon or HeadRoom that allow you to test out and return headphones.

My encounters with the HD800 is a funny story. I've always liked the Sennheiser sound, but almost all the music I listen are Japanese, or are recorded in relatively cheap studios. Most are electronic and doesn't need much soundstage. Almost every person I talk to says the LCD-2 will be better for my music. Not a single person recommended the HD800. In the end, I got the HD800 because the HD650 was one of my favorite headphones ever. While it's true I can hear a lot of imperfections in my music now, I don't regret it one bit. 

I still haven't heard an LCD-2, and maybe I will like it better. Maybe it has a more fun sound. Maybe the hisses and pops due to the imperfections of the recording mikes will disappear. For now though, I'm in love with my HD800 and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,334 of 6,607
Shahrose, Anaxilus, thank you for your impressions. I'm going to buy HD800 pretty soon. We'll see how it pairs with Bifrost/Lyr. And plan to build Bottlehead Crack too, that's gonna be a nice setup for classical music. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3,335 of 6,607
As i mentioned before, I was also scared off from trying the HD800 for a while. I still wish it had more bass impact, but it's the best I've ever heard all around.

Still debating whether to pick up some closed headphones or open headphones with a more "fun sound. A big midbass emphasis to compliment my HD800 would be nice I sometimes feel like I need something different for certain EDM recordings. There is a lot of j-pop that I think may actually do better with a colored sound. Something with more impact and perhaps colored mids. The ATH-AD2000 was great. Perhaps I'll try some of Audio-Technica's closed cans sometime.

I can't imagine it getting much better than the HD800 for acoustic and ambient music, and I love the clarity it offers for more acoustic pop and even metal.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3,336 of 6,607
You don't think the AD2000 has more impact than the HD800 do you?  Because it doesn't.  
blink.gif
  That would be a sign.....

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,337 of 6,607

Quote:
You don't think the AD2000 has more impact than the HD800 do you?  Because it doesn't.  
blink.gif
  That would be a sign.....

I wouldn't say the AD2000 has more. Not at all. Initially I thought the AD2000 had more, but when I compared them directly  they seemed to have a similar quantity of midbass. But perhaps the smaller sound stage gives the illusion of slightly greater impact? At least to my ears.

A sign of what, by the way? 
blink.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3,338 of 6,607
Good to know. I've just started to look for the ultimate headphones for acoustic music, I'll see what else I can find around head-fi. 

Quote:
I can't imagine it getting much better than the HD800 for acoustic and ambient music, and I love the clarity it offers for more acoustic pop and even metal.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3,339 of 6,607

Quote:
 I'm going to buy HD800 pretty soon. We'll see how it pairs with Bifrost/Lyr. And plan to build Bottlehead Crack too, that's gonna be a nice setup for classical music. 

A lot of people like the Asgard/HD800 combo more than the Lyyr/HD800.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,341 of 6,607

Quote:
Heya Erik. I'm thinking about trading my Beyerdynamic T1 w/ black dragon cable for HD800. As a prior owner of the T1, do you think I should do it? How about the D7000 for your closed can need?

I traded a T1 plus some money for an HD800 and have absolutely no regrets.  The new owner coincidentally enjoys the T1 much more than the HD800.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3,342 of 6,607
Like most thought, I'm not happy with the DacMagic...

I am looking at the Yulong Sabre D18 to pair with my MF-M1HPA + HD800. Would that be a good fit?

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3,343 of 6,607

Quote:
Heya Erik. I'm thinking about trading my Beyerdynamic T1 w/ black dragon cable for HD800. As a prior owner of the T1, do you think I should do it? How about the D7000 for your closed can need?

Well first, I have never heard either headphone re-cabled. And I have not owned both at the same time to even compare directly. I certainly favor the HD800, but as you know, we do not share the same ears or even the same setup.

What is it that you don't like about the T1 or feel could be improved? My personal issue is the treble spike, but a lot of people seem to be fine with it or not even notice it. Or perhaps they use tube amps that roll off the treble so much that it becomes much more controlled and even sounding.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,344 of 6,607

Quote:

I agree for the most part but I have to give credit where it's due.  From 60-70hz and below, the Audeze's render detail better than any phone I've heard.  Where I'm going to go against the grain is to remark that I prefer HD800 mids/vocals over the Audezes.  

I actually liked the LCD-2, but that's not something that popped out when I owned both. However, I can say with certainty that the LCD-2 had more prominent bass around that area. You could just hear it better, so we might be articulating the same thing in different ways. The other area that I think people don't give the Audez'e enough credit in is soundstage size and its scale of presentation, which is quite large. However, it doesn't layer, image and modulate those images as well as the Senns.

FWIW, I also prefer the mids/vocals of the HD800s over the Audez'e. The latter is flatter-sounding and more in-your-face, which I can see being more enjoyable for certain genres.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,345 of 6,607

Quote:
I actually liked the LCD-2, but that's not something that popped out when I owned both. However, I can say with certainty that the LCD-2 had more prominent bass around that area. You could just hear it better, so we might be articulating the same thing in different ways. 

I actually think the Audezes just have cleaner performance in the low to sub bass regions (when they operate optimally).  You can see the the distortion climb on the 800's around 100hz and below.  I just have a fetish for kick drums.  =P  Hearing kick drums more prominently is one thing, hearing the textured detail of how the beater strikes the skin is another matter altogether.  But in this case I think we are both right objectively and subjectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back