Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #3,316 of 6,607

Quote:
HD800 (146xx) in the house! Wow factor, in terms of visual presentation, is through the roof here. I immediately felt the cost justified upon lifting the lid and marvelled at the look and feel of the headphone. I may have giggled like a little girl when I placed it on my head and the can itself seemed to vaporise into the air. This headphone was made for my head alone.

I've only listened to a few of my test tracks but initial impressions match what sphinxvc posted. It doesn't seem to have the same tonal weight as the LCD-2, but there is detailed and extended bass when called for. Having read about the exaggerated soundstage, I'm surprised at the enveloping and involving presentation. It's not overly cold, distant or as clinical as anticipated and I actually find the upper mids/lower treble less dry than my rev.2.

I can't believe I waited this long to get this headphone. The myths surrounding the HD800 are what kept me away. I took a gamble and bought the HD650 when Head-Fi told me it was a slow, veiled and boring headphone and ended up absolutely loving it. I should've learnt a lesson from that.

My congratulations!
I was amazed too when I bought HD800 and Lyr half of year ago. I had never belived that headphones have such a 3D-soundstage (a lot like speakers) until I heard HD800.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #3,317 of 6,607

Quote:

Your impressions pretty much would mirror mine. The HD800 has really surprised me this second time around and is a fantastic headphone. Bass is ver good indeed and now te focus is getting better as I keep putting hours on them. Very happy camper here  and man is the Decware CSP2 good with it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,318 of 6,607
Quote:
HD800 (146xx) in the house! Wow factor, in terms of visual presentation, is through the roof here. I immediately felt the cost justified upon lifting the lid and marvelled at the look and feel of the headphone. I may have giggled like a little girl when I placed it on my head and the can itself seemed to vaporise into the air. This headphone was made for my head alone.

I've only listened to a few of my test tracks but initial impressions match what sphinxvc posted. It doesn't seem to have the same tonal weight as the LCD-2, but there is detailed and extended bass when called for. Having read about the exaggerated soundstage, I'm surprised at the enveloping and involving presentation. It's not overly cold, distant or as clinical as anticipated and I actually find the upper mids/lower treble less dry than my rev.2.

I can't believe I waited this long to get this headphone. The myths surrounding the HD800 are what kept me away. I took a gamble and bought the HD650 when Head-Fi told me it was a slow, veiled and boring headphone and ended up absolutely loving it. I should've learnt a lesson from that.

popcorn.gif

Quote:
Your impressions pretty much would mirror mine. The HD800 has really surprised me this second time around and is a fantastic headphone. Bass is ver good indeed and now te focus is getting better as I keep putting hours on them. Very happy camper here  and man is the Decware CSP2 good with it.

Frank, glad it's working out, if you'll be at the June 2nd Head-fi meet, I'll finally get to hear a Decware.  
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,319 of 6,607
I wont be there as my daughter races that day in the NJ state championship races at Old Bridge. She going for her 4th Groups NJ Sate Championship ib the 3200. Cant miss that/ LOL Meets are so hard now with family health issues and her racing season and next year she going to be running D1 in  college will also keep us busy. Your welcome to come to my house though.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,320 of 6,607

Quote:
Glad you are liking it. For the record I think the HD650 is a slow, veiled, boring headphone.
tongue.gif

Yeah and the HD800 is ice picky, and lack bass and is hard to drive... NOT!

Bored more about those statements than about the great and mythical HD650!

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #3,321 of 6,607
I didn't want to try the HD800 for the longest time because I did not find the HD650 all that great.. And the price, of course. But I'm glad I finally have a HD800. The best headphone I have owned thus far, easily.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3,322 of 6,607

Quote:
Listening to Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War". My God...

"My God" indeed. The HD800 does wonders for orchestral music, if it's well recorded.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #3,323 of 6,607
Good evening HD800 connoisseurs.

I have a question about HD800 dynamic range. I remember reading LCD-2 review here on head-fi and the author complained about bad dynamics of both LCD 2 and 3 compaired to other top players. It was especially noticable on classical music, where it's important to render huge dynamic contrasts.

Did any of you noticed that HD800 are better in this regard? I used to own LCD-2 and remember their sound, so it would be a nice reference point for me.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,324 of 6,607

Quote:
Good evening HD800 connoisseurs.
I have a question about HD800 dynamic range. I remember reading LCD-2 review here on head-fi and the author complained about bad dynamics of both LCD 2 and 3 compaired to other top players. It was especially noticable on classical music, where it's important to render huge dynamic contrasts.
Did any of you noticed that HD800 are better in this regard? I used to own LCD-2 and remember their sound, so it would be a nice reference point for me.

IME, with a good setup, the HD800 do macro and microdynamics better, the latter moreso. The Senns also have better layering, imaging, size, speed/transients, detail-retrieval, transparency...I mean it outclasses the LCD-2 in a lot of ways. People talk a lot of the LCD-2's bass but the HD800 has better bass detail, texture and definition. I just think the LCD-2 mates better with lower-end gear and so the HD800s are never at their full potential when being compared.

I like the Audez'e and enjoy their sound...more of a brute-force approach vs the more delicate, nuanced presentation of the Senns. Overall though, I think the 800s are the better headphones, and it becomes more obvious as you move up the ladder wrt ancillary equipment.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,325 of 6,607

I agree for the most part but I have to give credit where it's due.  From 60-70hz and below, the Audeze's render detail better than any phone I've heard.  Where I'm going to go against the grain is to remark that I prefer HD800 mids/vocals over the Audezes.  

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,326 of 6,607
Welp, away with the Gilmore Lite + DPS. And in with the GS-1! Next week could not come soon enough. :) Luckily, I will be away all weekend. No time to be distraught about the lack of an amp for my HD800 for the next week.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,327 of 6,607
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3,329 of 6,607

Quote:

I'm using an Ikea Hack one and its working well. 

Good work!  One of the best stands I've seen in awhile.  Time to grab some Swedish meatballs and Lingonberry juice for lunch it seems.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,330 of 6,607

Quote:
Good work!  One of the best stands I've seen in awhile.  Time to grab some Swedish meatballs and Lingonberry juice for lunch it seems.

Thanks! 

That's how they got me... went in for some meatballs and left with some headphone stands... and a coffee table... and a step stool... and a throw rug... and various kitchen utensils. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back