Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #3,301 of 6,607
I use a banana stand with a foam pencil grip on the end.  I don't let them rest on the grip centered to avoid indentation on the headband, instead I slip on one of the edges just to the left or right of the padding so that it rests on the plastic rather than the soft material.  Yes I'm that weird.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,302 of 6,607
I pulled the trigger on the Music Fidelity M1HPA and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic

I only had 4 minutes left before missing out on delivery tomorrow through Amazon Prime so I just bit the bullet on the DAC. If it's not what I want, I can always return it <3 Amazon 

Thoughts?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3,303 of 6,607
I pulled the trigger on the Music Fidelity M1HPA and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic

I only had 4 minutes left before missing out on delivery tomorrow through Amazon Prime so I just bit the bullet on the DAC. If it's not what I want, I can always return it <3 Amazon 

Thoughts?

M1HPA is nice and the DacMagic can be modified with great results :) In standard setting it sounds cold and thin IMO.

Anyways, congrats on your purchase =)

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3,304 of 6,607

Quote:
M1HPA is nice and the DacMagic can be modified with great results
smily_headphones1.gif
In standard setting it sounds cold and thin IMO.
Anyways, congrats on your purchase =)

Thanks. Any links to the mods for the DacMagic?

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,305 of 6,607
Since I will probably never get around to posting anything formally on spending 3 weeks with the HD800s, HE-500s and LCD-2s, I figure I'll post some quick impressions now.  In few words, I found the HD800s fantastic, and more than able to keep up technically with my LCD-2s.  What surprised me was the bass response on this phone.  After all I'd heard about it over the past two years, I'd never have expected that. Even several encounters with it at meets with good systems did not "reveal" this part of the HD800's abilities.  

The bass was extremely fast, resolving, flat and deep.  It even seemed to be neck-in-neck with the LCD-2 in surface bass detail.  The midrange was clean and accurate, but the highs had a small, sharp peak.  I didn't find that it bothered me much, but it did throw off timbre in those areas up top.  Speaking of timbre, the LCD-2 did a better job at it, imparting not only tone accuracy, but also tonal weight.  I did think the LCD-2s had a leg up in bass "detail" because of the imparted weight, but whether that's a part of bass detail or not is a matter of opinion.  The HD800 had a leg up with presence and detail in the upper regions of course, as the LCD-2 is comparatively "shelved" there.  

Spatial details were a step above the LCD-2, but not because I found the LCD-2's stage to be much smaller.  In fact, I found the LCD-2s stage to be almost as competent in width and depth, but the HD800s edged it out in the vertical axis.  Add up the z, x and y axis and the HD800s have a more enveloping, seemingly larger, definitely more three dimensional stage.  It isn't like there's alot of spatial information in the vertical axis in a recording usually, but it's a nice thing to have.  

With the right track going I can safely say I prefer the HD800 to the LCD-2 and would put them in a slight category higher, but given that I must eventually listen to some normal recordings the LCD-2s do it for me on a more regular basis.  I didn't find the HE-500s on the same level as LCD-2 nor HD800, it had great tonal balance, but not enough extension, some kind of hump in the bass that led to lack of bass definition and resolved zero spatial details.  Ok, almost zero.  At least compared to these two phones.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #3,308 of 6,607
Thanks.  Just to add, I must admit that it's the ergonomics that edges the HD800s above for me with both given good tracks.  In technicalities, I really find them about equal.  For example the LCD-2's better timbre (tone plus weight) weighs about as heavy to me as the HD800's vertical stage.  All in all equal considering the trade-offs.  To me, both phones are so similarly technically capable, that it's a question of which you prefer, and I prefer tonal weight and timbre myself.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #3,310 of 6,607
HD800 (146xx) in the house! Wow factor, in terms of visual presentation, is through the roof here. I immediately felt the cost justified upon lifting the lid and marvelled at the look and feel of the headphone. I may have giggled like a little girl when I placed it on my head and the can itself seemed to vaporise into the air. This headphone was made for my head alone.

I've only listened to a few of my test tracks but initial impressions match what sphinxvc posted. It doesn't seem to have the same tonal weight as the LCD-2, but there is detailed and extended bass when called for. Having read about the exaggerated soundstage, I'm surprised at the enveloping and involving presentation. It's not overly cold, distant or as clinical as anticipated and I actually find the upper mids/lower treble less dry than my rev.2.

I can't believe I waited this long to get this headphone. The myths surrounding the HD800 are what kept me away. I took a gamble and bought the HD650 when Head-Fi told me it was a slow, veiled and boring headphone and ended up absolutely loving it. I should've learnt a lesson from that.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #3,311 of 6,607
Glad you are liking it. For the record I think the HD650 is a slow, veiled, boring headphone. :p

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #3,312 of 6,607
Not really improvised, but banana holders are popular. Personally, I got a fairly cheap Sennheiser stand that clamps onto the side of any table. Works great for my HD800.

Yup, the HH10. That's why I use.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #3,314 of 6,607
. The myths surrounding the HD800 are what kept me away. I took a gamble and bought the HD650 when Head-Fi told me it was a slow, veiled and boring headphone and ended up absolutely loving it. I should've learnt a lesson from that.

In that sense, the HD800 can be considered boring since it's so accurate and neutral. :)

Personally I like the sound, but I don't blame people for disliking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back